Festool KS60 to 100mm extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I have a festool KS60 mitre saw and I would like to connect it to my dust extractor which is 100mm out although I would need to drop that down to use a 50mm or 32mm hose (?) maybe but I'm unsure of what adapter to use for the saw as its got some bayonet type fitting.

So ideally I am looking of an adapter (and preferably a right angle) to connect the festool saw dust out to 50mm or 32mm hose/pipe what can then fit onto the 100mm Axminster dust extractor another adapter.

Any links or suggestions would be very helpful!

I also have a little titan vac which I would also use as an alternative if there are more adapter choices to use for that also.

I'll be honest with you I think you would be better off connecting a Festool extractor to the KS60 as the drop down for 100mm is a considerable drop or even a shop vac with reasonable dust control. I do not own a Kappex (it's on my list, but I'm concentrating on the big shop purchases atm while I set up my new shop). I am sure an owner can give better advice.

It depends if it's a HVLP bag over bag type extractor or if it's a HPLV vac type extractor?

The titan should work just fine, though I'd highly recommend bumping the hose up to minimum of 36mm (I assume it had 32mm hose as standard?) - if it's one of the Titans with the autostart feature then it's a no brainer.

I use a titan along with 3d printed adapter found here Festool TS 55 Vaccum 35mm female by nickilo - it works a treat although the downside of the adapter is it requires the saw to be away from the wall a little as the titans plastic end is so long; a slightly angled version would be better

Attachments

• 20230103_171352.jpg
    20230103_171352.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Personally I would just find some sort of step down reducer that is the 100mm at one end and whatever you need on the other.
You can also buy a heat shrink sleeve you fit over a hose joint like that, heat with the hairdryer and it will make a pretty good job of sealing it.
https://www.axminstertools.com/mult...MIjbrm3vWr_AIVB-_tCh26gACgEAQYBCABEgKoqfD_BwE
Sure these going to be some loss to the big extractor, but I doubt enough to make the system unsuitable.

My suggestion is to use the shop vac on the saw's port and an enclosure behind the saw using the 100mm from the duct collector to catch the stray fine dust that gets out. In other words, both.

Pete

Been where you are.

Simply put, it didn't work.

Eventually hooked it up to a proper shop vac = happy days

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230104_075331_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230104_075331_Instagram.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for all the replies.

I have had it on the titan and it works but there usually is still some dust spray left over even with a 36mm hose.

@Bristol_Rob that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Got any links to all those bits?

Heat shrink also sounds like a good idea @TRITON

The picture Rob posted does not work, he even said it does not work, you need a HPLV vac type extractor, HVLP bag over bag type extractors only work with 100mm pipe or bigger, dropping one down to 36mm you would be hard pushed to empty an ash tray with it

Ah ha, sorry I miss read.

OK so make it work with the titan and try and fine tune it a bit then maybe add the extra dust spray collector as Pete mentioned.

I have had it on the titan and it works but there usually is still some dust spray left over even with a 36mm hose.

I doubt any miter (mitre) saw will be surgical theater (theatre) clean, even Festool. The residue left on the table does not bother me, unlike the dust I cannot see.

My KS 120 is connected to a dedicated CTM 36E under the saw with a 36mm hose that is just long enough to allow full movement of the saw. However, I think any suitable vacuum would likely work. The Kapex is plugged into the auxiliary AC port on the vacuum, so the vacuum starts as soon as I squeeze the trigger on the saw.

Some small chips do fall on the saw and table, but according to my measurements with a Dylos air quality meter nearby, the majority of the fine dust is captured by the vacuum. The Kapex is by far much cleaner than the DeWalt DWS780 saw it replaced.

Here is a video (not mine) showing three different cutting methods and the associated spray patterns of the dust/chip mix. I think this demonstration would apply to all miter saws. The effectiveness of dust/chip collection would be a function of the placement of the dust shroud and vacuum port as well as the power of the vacuum. I doubt using a HVLP collector would be able to effectively move the dust and chips out of the saw.

On the DeWalt saw, the dust shroud was farther behind the blade and the vacuum port was at the end of the sliding rails. Collection of the dustOn the Kapex, the dust shroud is closer to the blade and the vacuum port is in the blade housing.

Here are two photos showing the results of some work from this morning. I cut nine one-meter long 20mm dowels into smaller pieces for my neighbor. After 20 minutes of cutting, the chips shown are what the vacuum didn't collect. The amount of stuff not collected after 20 minutes on the Kapex would have been about 2 seconds with the DeWalt.

The Dylos readings in real time at the start of the cutting were 1845 (> 0.5 microns) and 230 (> 2.5 microns). At the end of the cutting, the readings were 2157 and 247. With the DeWalt, the reading on the left would have been at least 750 units over ambient after 10 or 15 minutes and I would have been taking a break to allow the AC400 to clear the dust from the room.

Kapex-1.jpg

Kapex-2.jpg

If the saw is bolted to a bench ie not moved all over the place then try to use 40mm plumbing pipe

Darn you Mike! Now you have me wondering how much an infrared camera costs.

Nope, I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I'm not going down that rabbit hole......hmmm, maybe.

Pete

While I'm here does anyone else with a KS60 have the perfect dimensions and height shelf for for this saw to fit within on a mitre saw bench?

Nope, I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I'm not going down that rabbit hole......hmmm, maybe.

Pete

Pete, I can use the company down here. :)

A few years ago, I evaluated a FLIR thermal imager that connected to bottom of an iPhone and was very impressed with the performance, small size, and especially price. I think it also worked with iPads, but I didn't have one available for testing.

Back