Festool Kapex new user - impressed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry J

Established Member
Reaction score
After saving like a mad man I purchased my first Kapex KS60 E-SET, I took advantage of the Screwfix ‘10% off everything in February’ and made a great saving! What can I say, it is very impressive straight out the box, the cut at every angle is spot on, I’ve always hated every mitre saw I have ever purchased because of the dust they produce…………….. except for this one!! The dust collection is amazing and I’m just using a cheapy Titan shop vac, having read about the Kapex until my eyes bled I took the advice of many and turned the speed down to 4 and did full sliding cuts front to back and there was minuscule dust on my bench - what a piece of kit!!!

I replaced my DeWalt DWS780, which is a great saw, with the KS120 solely for the dust collection. The only feature on the DWS780 I miss is the LED shadow line. The KS120 uses twin LASERs, which I hate. In my opinion, the LASER beam is not as accurate as the shadow line.

The Kapex is night and day difference to the DeWalt in terms of dust collection. No matter what I tried, I had to take a break during cutting sessions to allow the suspended dust to clear from the air and to vacuum up the chips that went everywhere. I use a Dylos air quality meter to monitor the particle count in my shop and stop whatever I'm doing when the dust content gets too high. Then I run the AC400 filter to scrub the air for 30 minutes to an hour. I don't have this issue with the Kapex, even though it still throws some chips around.

Here's a great video showing different cutting methods using a thermal imager. Since finding this video, I now use the third method and barely have any chips to clean up.

I replaced my DeWalt DWS780, which is a great saw, with the KS120 solely for the dust collection. The only feature on the DWS780 I miss is the LED shadow line. The KS120 uses twin LASERs, which I hate. In my opinion, the LASER beam is not as accurate as the shadow line.

The Kapex is night and day difference to the DeWalt in terms of dust collection. No matter what I tried, I had to take a break during cutting sessions to allow the suspended dust to clear from the air and to vacuum up the chips that went everywhere. I use a Dylos air quality meter to monitor the particle count in my shop and stop whatever I'm doing when the dust content gets too high. Then I run the AC400 filter to scrub the air for 30 minutes to an hour. I don't have this issue with the Kapex, even though it still throws some chips around.

Here's a great video showing different cutting methods using a thermal imager. Since finding this video, I now use the third method and barely have any chips to clean up.

Yes, I’ve seen that video, I probably watched every vid on the Kapex before I committed.
The ks60 I bought has the shadow line, you can actually see the blade teeth on the wood, really good but it’ll take a bit of getting used to.
Build quality, accuracy and excellent dust collection, can’t ask for more……..maybe a little cheaper 🥴

yup - love mine too.

I paid a net princely sum of £415 about 4.5 years ago for mine (std KS60). Been worth every penny. At the time festool were offering (i think) £50 cash back. Not seen any of these deals recently - do festool still offer the occasional cash back?

I did buy the e-set upgrades afterwards and they are great too.

yup - love mine too.

I paid a net princely sum of £415 about 4.5 years ago for mine (std KS60). Been worth every penny. At the time festool were offering (i think) £50 cash back. Not seen any of these deals recently - do festool still offer the occasional cash back?

I did buy the e-set upgrades afterwards and they are great too.
Not seen any Festool cash back deals but the Screwfix 10% off everything was ver welcome!!

Back