Changing Kapex brushes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
My Kapex stopped working and it was an easy fix , just thought I would post it on here in case it helps anyone else out.

It basically just stopped dead (on the second cut of the morning!), I suspected it was just the brushes as I was told like most Festools they have an auto shut off when the brushes get low to stop them doing any damage. As Festool were going to take a few weeks to sort it I ordered some brushes from Healey's tools, cost about £25.

To change them you need to take off the motor cover, initially I struggled with this because someone had stuck a Pat test sticker over one of the screws which I stupidly failed to spot 😂

pat test.jpg

Once you get the cover off the brushes are really obvious and you only need to unclip a couple of wires and remove a screw to take them out, it literally took 2 minutes. Not a great photo and I have already removed the screw from one but it really is simple.

inside kapex.jpg

Here are the old worn brushes next to a new one, you can see the little bit which springs out to stop it working when they reach a certain level.

Kapex brushes.jpg

For some reason (think because it's expensive) I didn't fancy trying to fix it myself but needs must and glad I did. Going by the Pat Test sticker the brushes lasted about 4 years as that is from when the saw was last with Festool and they replaced the brushes then.

A bit of a clean and looks as good as new despite being 9 years old, notice the new blade which of course I ordered the day before it stopped working 😂 only cheap but seems to work fine (y)

clean kapex.jpg

Latest posts

Back