Cherry Dresser - NOW FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok today I had really hoped for a lay in :) but ended up spending it inlaying :lol: :lol:

Certain panels are having a 3mm dentil inlay line let into the timber as below

DSCF3704.jpg

Easily done by marking position of inlay in panel

DSCF3685.jpg

Panel then securely held in Zyliss clamp on bench edge

DSCF3690.jpg

Thickness of the inlay stringing set on trend setting gauge

DSCF3696.jpg

and transferred to depth of cut for 3mm straight cutter in router

DSCF3698.jpg

Grooves and housings duly cut with fence against the edge of the panel

DSCF3700.jpg

And after cutting in the stringing it was duly glued in with titebond original, once dry the excess was removed with a freshly sharpened cabinet scraper - Jobs a goodun!

DSCF3712.jpg

The original plan showed that I was going to put cherry tongue and groove board into the back below the two middle cupboards but decided a panelled frame would look much nicer, admittedly customer hadn't wanted to pay the extra for this but he has got it for free on me as it makes the piece much nicer in my opinion!

DSCF3714.jpg

DSCF3719.jpg

Having got all the panels inlaid and the rear frame and fielded panels completed today its not been a bad day, so with the exception of making the shelves for the lower cupboards and gluing up the construction is now complete - Phew

DSCF3720.jpg

Looking excellent Roger.

What finish will you be using?

Cheers

Karl

Karl will be using pre- cat lacquer and wax

Alan - Zyliss Cramps are very useful, not used every day but very useful when doing work like this.

Looks brilliant, precise, nice design balance, super-quick, and half a cube left out of ten.... how on earth did he manage that??

condeesteso":18ubuqei said:
Looks brilliant, precise, nice design balance, super-quick, and half a cube left out of ten.... how on earth did he manage that??

Because I'm a tight pipper and hate wasting wood! :lol: :lol:

The stringing is very well chosen and a nice touch - understated.
Do you ever find that stringing in solid panels suffers problems due to timber movement?

I've just done some drawers with cockbeads and was wondering the same thing; ie. might they come unstuck? Time will tell, I suppose, but I suppose as they started doing them about 1740, there is cause for optimism.

Sawyer":1gk0r4f1 said:
The stringing is very well chosen and a nice touch - understated.
Do you ever find that stringing in solid panels suffers problems due to timber movement?

I've just done some drawers with cockbeads and was wondering the same thing; ie. might they come unstuck? Time will tell, I suppose, but I suppose as they started doing them about 1740, there is cause for optimism.

I have been using inlays like this for ages and can honestly say that I have never once had one suffer any problems, saying that I have just opened my big mouth havnt I :)

the old question Dodge - that wasn't the actual stringing, it was the glue. In a hundred years time we may begin to know how good the new stuff is. That's fine, I'll wait :shock:

Well, the veneered backs are now in, the doors glued up and cut in as well as hinged to the carcases.

Tomorrow will get the final bits and pieces done which will complete the construction - two weeks from collecting timber and leaving next week to finish/polish.

I,m afraid I cannot post any piccies tonight as my laptop has decided to go **** up so only have tablet to work on - will hopefully get sorted in the morning . :(

Quick update on progress - unfortunately cannot post any piccies at the moment as my laptop is history, completely dead, luckily the teckie guys managed to recover everything on it just got to sort a replacement.

Anyway the dresser has now been scraped,sanded as required and I started spraying sections with pre-cat this morning. will hopefully have all lacquered by end of the day so the next couple of days will be de-nibbing and over waxing.

Glass has been ordered, cherry knobs turned so should be ready for delivery by the weekend.

Finished pics to follow

Seriously nice work there Rog :D :D :D, well played that man. I've never used Cherry, what's it like to work? Where you fortunate with regards to lack of wastage from loads of sapwood?

Cheers _Dan.

To be honest Dan, cherry is one if my favourite timbers, not only to work but fir finishing as well.

There was negligeable wastage as the board were centre boards hence the sap and wane were at 90 degrees to the face, effectively quarter sawn boards.

In lacquering today the colour has really appeared in the cherry and the ripple in the grain really stands out.

Well as you all know from this thread I collected the timber for this project from Ipswich on Friday 6th Jan and with the exception of fitting the glass I am pleased to say that it is complete, the glass should have been with me a couple of days ago but the glass company decided not to bother processing the order for a few days and I should now get it on Monday.

Anyway this is it awaiting its glass

DSCF3750.jpg

The ripple in the timber has really come out since being polished and the client has seen it this morning and is very happy to say the least

Anyway, back to trying to decide what sort of laptop to get to replace my now defunct one - currently using my sons netbook while he is at school - shhh dont tell him :mrgreen:

Very nice :D.

I'd recommend an Acer Aspire Rog, I've got a 7736. There's good deals on manufacturer refurbished ones somewhere. + An external hard drive for backup (as you probably already know).

_Dan

OK folks we are at the end of the road - The dresser has been completed today after arrival of the glass for the doors and the shelves - I had the toughened shelves polished all round and the toughened glass panels in the doors have had the edges bevelled as well to finish the job off nicely.

Dscf3773.jpg

Delivering to the customer on Wednesday afternoon - job done!

Back