Cherry Dresser - NOW FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok for those of you who read the thread I started in general chat under "what a waste of a day" I am actually going to do a proper work in progress for the dresser I have just commenced making.

The dresser to be made is quite traditional and is for a client I have made many pieces of cherry furniture in the past - basically the lower section will have four full height doors with raised and fielded panels maximising the storage whilst the upper section will have four glazed doors for display of ornaments etc on glass shelves. The middle two upper doors will be slightly set back giving an inset break front appearance. The panels in the lower doors will have some inlay stringing inlaid again to match the other pieces previously made.

DSCF3527.jpg

I had previously organised the cherry for this job and brought this from my store where it had been aclimatising ready for use and the wane edge boards looked just the job!

photo17-1.jpg

Unfortunately as you may have read in my other thread on starting to prep the timber found that it was riddled with worm, there was no outward sign whatsoever with no flight holes so after a call to the local supplier the offending timber was duly returned.

As I have a committed delivery timescale had a bit of a panic and after making a few calls was lucky to find that a fellow cabinet maker colleague had about 10 cubic feet of cherry in his workshop left over from a previous commission, and as this was in his workshop was ready to use.

Luckily having my new van I was able to head off and collect it, even if the 12' long boards had to hang out of the back a little bit :lol:

photo14.jpg

In some ways the problem with the first timber was a bit of a godsend as the replacement timber, albeit dearer is truly superb with the majority of the 12' long boards being approx 400mm wide completely defect free and as flat as the preverbial pancake!

DSCF3504.jpg

I started by preparing the timber for the top of the base unit from the best board and to make up the appropriate width a strip was biscuit jointed onto the back of a large wide section

photo20-1.jpg

The board was duly cramped up and left and once the glue had dried, passed through the panel sander to flat the surface leaving it ready for final finishing in due course

DSCF3517.jpg

In choosing the timber for the top surface the cherry has a nice ripple in the grain and I think this will show up very nicely when the timber is polished

DSCF3520.jpg

I then carried on making the frames which will form the upper and lower carcase frames, these were duly morticed and tenoned - no dominotrickery here!

DSCF3525.jpg

The frame to form the base of the lower carcase was grooved before assembly and tongue and grrove boards were made to infill the frame, this allowing for any possible movement which may occur in the future - The boards were dry assembled into the frames to check the fit but before gluing up I will chamfer the edges of the boards to make a feature of them

DSCF3524.jpg

Whilst cutting the timber I have also prepared various other components from the offcuts from the other sections

photo23.jpg

Including the plynth, cornice ect to be used later.

I arrived back at the workshop with the new timber at 11am yesterday, and after picking the kids up from school returned to the workshop after my tea last night working until about 9.30pm - and then worked today from 9am (ish) to 2.30 when I had to pick my daughter up (Dads Taxi syndrome) - so overall a good start on the project as I am working in in "M" mode to catch up the lost time from the wormy wood.

All the parts constructed were left on the bench ready for my return on Monday morning - And yes the workshop left nice and tidy.

DSCF3535.jpg

I will continue this write up next week as I progress with the carcase construction.

Anyway hope you approve!

Oh and for those of you not in the know - "M" mode refers to the speed you work - M=Mailee i.e. very fast! :mrgreen:

Those boards... Unbelievable!
Thanks for making this into a WIP, i look forward to the rest!

Did you use a program for the plan ???
If so could you tell me what it is please

I currently use Articad version 10 and Need something better but I refuse to pay the price for the current version LOL

Roger

RogerBoyle":2hhmidyy said:
Did you use a program for the plan ???
If so could you tell me what it is please

I currently use Articad version 10 and Need something better but I refuse to pay the price for the current version LOL

Roger

Wash your mouth out :lol: Hand drawn in about 20 mins - who needs cad programmes!

Anyway through experience I have found that my customers dont like computer drawn plans, I dont know why but they see the hand drawing a confirmation that the furniture will be hand made not CNC'd by a computer programme.

mailee":3dq6xdaj said:
Was there a particular reason you didn't use dominoes on the frames Rog? Those boards are beautiful mate. :D

Yep - I aint got a Festoon Domino #-o #-o

:mrgreen:

Well have just got home from another busy day at the workshopshop

I have been concentrating on the raised & fielded panelled frames which will be the outer ends of the dresser as well as internal components.

None of the frames have yet been glued as there will be inlay detail applied to the panels in due course but will do this at the same time as the detail in the panels in the doors which are yet to be machined.

A few photos of todays progress

DSCF3536.jpg

DSCF3537.jpg

DSCF3541.jpg

DSCF3542.jpg

So the pile of components is steadily growing - I am hoping to have the carcase complete and assembled by the end of the week.

DSCF3546.jpg

that cherry is sublime, finished cherry has a stunning pattern

looking good dodge!

adidat

I must admit this is without doubt some of the best cherry I have ever had - It has been really nice to cut the panels and not have to try joint them to get the desired width.

Well another day down- Have spent it making the doors - Yes I know you may say that the carcase should be completed first but being conscious that amount of timber is going to be a bit tight want to make sure that the front components are comple!

Anyway first of all started preparing the components for the lower door frames

DSCF3551.jpg

And have had a day of varied mortice and tenons

Haunchless Tenon where grooved components come together to form a "T"

DSCF3556.jpg

Square Haunched Mortice and Tenon - The square haunch closing the gap left by the groove for the panel in the stile

DSCF3560.jpg

Resulting in the panelled doors being completed

DSCF3574.jpg

The inner edges of the rails and stiles will be stop chamfered but this will be done when they are dissassembled for the inlay dentil to be applied to the panels - Hopfully that should arrive in the morning from Original Marquetry.

With the lower doors completed then made the upper doors frames - these doors will be glazed.

Having rebated the rails and stiles on the spindle moulder I cut off-set shouldered mortice and tenon joints to leave a traditional corner in the frames ready to accept the glass.

Mortices cut against the edge of the rebate

DSCF3582.jpg

After cutting the cheeks away from the tenon and a clean up with a chisel

DSCF3583.jpg

The tenons were complete

DSCF3591.jpg

DSCF3595.jpg

The finished corner ready to accept the glass

DSCF3597.jpg

And when I left the workshop the pile of components on the bench has grown yet again

DSCF3601.jpg

Only doing a half day in the workshop tomorrow as visiting a client in the afternoon so probably wont update again until Thursday evening.

I reckon one more day of machine type work and then the hand work will start, fine planing and scraping surfaces, fine tuning etc etc

Hope you are enjoying my banter! :lol:

Proper old school traditional work - just what I like.

No CAD or domino jointer in my workshop either!

Latest posts

Back