Can someone explain me the knife wall method?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone explain me the proper use of knife wall method? It is described in Robert Wearing's book and also popularized by Paul Sellers and others.

Basically, I score a line around the board and chisel out a half V groove. Then I register my saw against the wall which should help me cut straight.

At the same time, I cannot register the saw against the wall, as the set of the saw would cut past the wall, so I have to cut just arbitrary distance away from the knife wall that I deem appropriate as not to disturb the wall with the set.

Or I can tilt the saw to cut a bit away from plumb to the outside.

So why bother with the knife wall, if I cannot register the saw plate against it?

Thank you.

If you cut vertically, with the set of the saw blade touching this wall you will have a square vertical cut. It is a convenient way for woodworking novices to achieve a good result.

Should you have a slight step, between the knife wall and the saw cut, then its a simple task to pare this away with a wide chisel registered against the knifed wall

Back