Riving knife with crosscut sled

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect....7JNnlcqTLHNuDQI0HQgnY7Hl6hGO7v0BoC2bMQAvD_BwE
This production version features some of the bits I mentioned such as a box extending to the rear to prevent an exposed blade when you push past the blade.

It also has a guard to prevent you placing your hands where the blade passes, although I'd prefer a guard that went all the way across if you don't have a suspended guard instead.

also has a mitre stop to prevent you pushing the sled too far.

I guess Rockler are happy to produce and sell it as a viable product. Although that doesn't necessarily mean it is safe as I've seen companies selling chainsaw blade edged carving wheels for angle grinders. 🤷‍♂️
Interesting i have looked at that they also make a larger one though quite expensive, although they do not show whether the riving knife is fitted! which would have helped me make a decision, the sled i am making is of a very similar design.

I have this same problem and im intending to slice the top off my riving knife so it ends up a mm just below the blade height. It moves up and down in sequence with my blade anyway.
Would be interested in seeing how it works out for you.

Watched a utube yesterday where a guy made a simple cross fur sledge with only a mid back fence no front fence and cut a square out of the fence so that the blade guard and the riving knife could pass through

I might have a go at that once I get some table saw skills but remind me why I need a sledge when I have a mitre slider. 🤦‍♂️
Thanks that sounds interesting i thought the only reason for the front fence was just to hold the sled toghether, would be interested in a link to the video if you get the time please.

.......remind me why I need a sledge when I have a mitre slider. 🤦‍♂️

Thanks that sounds interesting i thought the only reason for the front fence was just to hold the sled toghether, would be interested in a link to the video if you get the time please.
You hold your work behind and up to the front fence as per my photo earlier. Then you don't need the back fence, you don't cut right through the base plate, there's no problem using riving knife plus crown guard, with a push stick or two your hands are well away from the blade. It's very simple. I've been doing it for years but with a sliding table, which is basically a better sled. Riving knife with crosscut sled
Basically the common designs for a "sled" have nearly all got it the wrong way around, including the Rockler example, and should be ignored. It's just a mistake which people keep repeating and trying hopelessly to improve upon.

Last edited:
Sometimes there are limited options to how you overcome a situation, I don't have a slider on this saw and my Sedgwick TA415 is bit big for the finer elements I need sometimes, so this is my solution for "scribing" in some curved bars on some Accoya windows I have been making, there is a riving knife in there, which I made specifically to enable me to also cut rebates with the saw, (so the crown guard isn't used)

sled.jpg sled 2.jpg

Back