Riving knife with crosscut sled

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's be sensible here, table saws are very dangerous and cause thousands of amputations a year.
Very low risk if two push-sticks always used. It becomes second nature after a while and not using them starts feeling dangerous.
I recommend the standard pattern Axminster offering and make copies from mdf, as they are consumable, unlike your fingers!
Don't bother with fancy variations, especially not those boot heel designs which take your hand up to and past the blade and defeat the whole object.
The HSE pattern is also inadequate and should have been edited away years ago.

I find it funny how the guys who do this for a living are all basically saying the same thing, and the ones who don’t are having none of it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I find it funny how the guys who do this for a living are all basically as the same thing, and the ones who don’t are having none of it 🤷‍♂️
Actually it was somebody on here many years ago who first drew my attention to the two push sticks principle. He was a bit scathing about the idea but I've been doing it ever since and even have a few fingers left!
Thing is - it's bleedin obvious - never have any part of your anatomy nearer than say 10" from a powerful spinning cutting device.

What sums up sleds for me is that you won't see them used in a professional workshop (in the UK) and the fact that manufacturers don't even make them for their saws. If sleds were a safe, sensible option the likes of De Walt, Axminster etc would be producing them and trying to sell you one.

What sums up sleds for me is that you won't see them used in a professional workshop (in the UK) and the fact that manufacturers don't even make them for their saws. If sleds were a safe, sensible option the likes of De Walt, Axminster etc would be producing them and trying to sell you one.
They do make and sell them but in the form of sliding tables. Sleds are for people making do with smaller and cheaper machines, and much safer than not using them - though I strongly recommend the single fence on far edge version I tried to describe above.

Last edited:
Actually it was somebody on here many years ago who first drew my attention to the two push sticks principle. He was a bit scathing about the idea but I've been doing it ever since and even have a few fingers left!
Thing is - it's bleedin obvious - never have any part of your anatomy nearer than say 10" from a powerful spinning cutting device.
We had our Machinery training refresher last year and he was an advocate of two push sticks.
Got a couple of those Axminster ones by the saw, great quality and length and very cheap considering.

But would you use something like this UJK Precision Mitre Gauge Fence & Flip Stop ?
Apologies for the confusing comment, what I was referring to was how to make a sled safer,
by way of restricting the travel of it.
I've not seen anyone make something with longevity in mind, so won't go a lookin.

Seems lots of folks here might not have watched Steve Latta's videos, on making ornamental bandings.
Though it might be somewhat agreeable folks probably wouldn't come across someone doing this in a "professional shop" too often, as most folks in the game generally scoff at the idea of spending time working on a machine.

The geddit done or buy something else today, kinda attitude, is generally how things roll from what I mostly see.
usually from the folks who have the space, as is very notable there's rarely any middle ground for those whom might be somewhere in-between.

The age old rule applies, If you don't feel like something is safe, then don't do it, simple as that,
You might find out why something ain't safe online, since there has been an average sixty five thousand reported cases annually in the US,
Checked again and it looks to be half that now, perhaps the Sawstop is responsible
if not by folks buying them, then it could be down to perceptions changing either,
i.e getting used to what a riving knife looks like, etc.

There's some interesting videos relating to TS safety from Gwinnett woodworkers on YT,
as well as another fella demonstrating machining small parts with jigs and whatnot.

Nothing too over the top for me when it comes to safety.
Having a wee Fisher Price welder knocking around might encourage shop logistics,
should one be in a tight spot.

20210219_175042.jpg

Someone got bit whilst using a sled here some time ago, it might be in the first or second
"post a photo of the last thing you made" threads.
Just incase someone was having some sense of security regarding the use of these,
it might be insightful.

And what is it with folks scolding others for posting injuries?
That doesn't help matters, as we probably are at the stage now, where the majority of
online content producers are using Saw stops, and generally those who have that safety feature
generally use it or become somewhat reliant on the tech.

Hopefully not, that someone doesn't get seriously injured or worse, by some projectile,
as those who have'em tend to get a bit lax with many operations.

All the best
Tom

You might find out why something ain't safe online, since there has been an average sixty five thousand reported cases annually in the US,
Checked again and it looks to be half that now, perhaps the Sawstop is responsible
Maybe they got shocked into comparing the safety record and the price of Sawstop against 2 push sticks.
It's a no brainer; 2 push-sticks safer, cheaper, better value by a very large margin, even more so if you make your own from mdf scraps.

Hello, could some help with some advice please?
I am constructing a cross cut sled for my Dewalt 745 site table saw and have got to the stage of cutting the back fence but am concerned how to do it without removing the riving knife first!! which is something i have never wanted to consider doing, as you can see in the photo i can not cut through it as the knife is higher than the blade so i assume that is the only way to go about it, could someone let me know if i am missing an alternative method or if this is the only way ahead and could you advise on how to make it as safe as possible please?
Thank you in advance for any help with this.
Can you lower the blade, put the piece over it, the raise the blade under the large bit? Or would the riving knife catch the wood?

Can you lower the blade, put the piece over it, the raise the blade under the large bit? Or would the riving knife catch the wood?
Thanks David, i have considered something along those lines but it still would requrire removing the knife unfortunaetly, so still on the drawing board either make or find a new knife or remove it! still not made a decision.

Thanks David, i have considered something along those lines but it still would requrire removing the knife unfortunaetly, so still on the drawing board either make or find a new knife or remove it! still not made a decision.
Take a look at my earlier post Riving knife with crosscut sled
Thats how you cross-cut with a sliding table. Fence on far side, use push sticks, no need to remove riving knife or crown guard, dead simple, very safe.
A sled is just a DIY sliding table
I'll do a mock up later, got to go to the dentist shortly!

Last edited:
https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect....7JNnlcqTLHNuDQI0HQgnY7Hl6hGO7v0BoC2bMQAvD_BwE
This production version features some of the bits I mentioned such as a box extending to the rear to prevent an exposed blade when you push past the blade.

It also has a guard to prevent you placing your hands where the blade passes, although I'd prefer a guard that went all the way across if you don't have a suspended guard instead.

also has a mitre stop to prevent you pushing the sled too far.

I guess Rockler are happy to produce and sell it as a viable product. Although that doesn't necessarily mean it is safe as I've seen companies selling chainsaw blade edged carving wheels for angle grinders. 🤷‍♂️

Take a look at my earlier post Riving knife with crosscut sled
Thats how you cross-cut with a sliding table. Fence on far side, use push sticks, no need to remove riving knife or crown guard, dead simple, very safe.
A sled is just a DIY sliding table
I'll do a mock up later, got to go to the dentist shortly!

A one sided sled is pretty much a mitre gauge?

One of the things I dislike about sleds is how people always seem to stand central when using them, straight in line with the blade. A mitre gauge or sliding table moves you to the side which is a much better place to be.

A one sided sled is pretty much a mitre gauge?
Close, yes, but better holding perhaps, and more adaptable for different ops and workpieces.
They only need to be one sided, but if you have two tracks than it could make it more solid.
Either way you only need the fence on one side.
One of the things I dislike about sleds is how people always seem to stand central when using them, straight in line with the blade. A mitre gauge or sliding table moves you to the side which is a much better place to be.
Agree.

Watched a utube yesterday where a guy made a simple cross fur sledge with only a mid back fence no front fence and cut a square out of the fence so that the blade guard and the riving knife could pass through

I might have a go at that once I get some table saw skills but remind me why I need a sledge when I have a mitre slider. 🤦‍♂️

I have this same problem and im intending to slice the top off my riving knife so it ends up a mm just below the blade height. It moves up and down in sequence with my blade anyway.

Back