Can I do anything with this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I was planning on turning this after cutting a bowl blank but there are some natural 'holes' in the wood. The log was cut a few weeks ago so I was going to cut a rough bowl and then leave it to dry. Any suggestions on what to do with the blank now as I can't see how I can turn a bowl with the defects. It's about 10 inches across.
IMG_1691.jpeg
IMG_1692.jpeg
IMG_1689.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
You could send it my way 😉
I can see a couple of possibilities just from the pics 😁😁😁
Ha! I've just started turning and assuming if I try and turn a bowl, the gouge will catch in the defect and potentially go flying....

Fill the void with coloured epoxy, black milliput would do the job here.

Cheap CA glue from Screwfix makes an effective wood hardener on really soft stuff, just be sure to cover the lathe bed well before starting

If you can get away with it this would be a good candidate for microwave drying. Weigh, zap for 30-40 seconds on a low setting, allow to cool, repeat until the weight is steady and it should be dry enough to be stable in use

Throw it in the firewood pile.
Suspect, unstable wood is not worth the risk most of the time, IMO. This doesn't appear to be an extrodinary specimen that might be worth a safety risk. It stinks but it happens.
Going the plastic route is not something I could comment on.

Ha! I've just started turning and assuming if I try and turn a bowl, the gouge will catch in the defect and potentially go flying....
I wouldn't recommend attempting it with the voids as a beginner, either fill them or put it away on a shelf somewhere and come back to it in a year or so when you have experience.

I was planning on turning this after cutting a bowl blank but there are some natural 'holes' in the wood. The log was cut a few weeks ago so I was going to cut a rough bowl and then leave it to dry. Any suggestions on what to do with the blank now as I can't see how I can turn a bowl with the defects. It's about 10 inches across.View attachment 166822View attachment 166823View attachment 166825
There is way too much good wood out there to try and turn that. Fire pile my opinion. But if you have a vacuum chamber you can resin infuse the whole thing with cactus juice product and then bake, I do that with all punky stuff.

Last edited:
Apple wood?

How about change the orientation - looks like there might be a fairly solid amount of wood if you flip it 90 degrees.

It'll be good for the fire if you let it dry for a year or so.

I would definitely keep this piece.

I have been a subscriber to Andy Phillips YouTube channel for a number of years. Andy produces a video once a week and most feature epoxy resin in some shape or form.

https://www.youtube.com/@AndyPhillipWoodturning
As for this piece, follow Tris's advice with the microwave and infilling suggestions. Clean out any holes to allow good adhesion for the infilled glue/resin. With the microwave drying method after each cycle check for incipient cracks developing, if you see the tinyiest of cracks opening up - CA glue it.

Don't use a screw chuck on this piece, go for a small face-plate; which appears that someone has already attempted , on both sides. Also do a few calculations on on which end to turn as the bottom/top. That large 'black - hole' could be avoided if you decided on the depth/shape of the piece with the 'black-hole' as the base.

Always give things a go, its how you you gain knowledge and experience. However, the caveat is use appropriate PPE, tightly secure piece in chuck, supported by tailstock, don't turn at break-neck speed, use a roughing gouge presented at a steep angle and chip away slowly.

Last edited:
It's a state-of mind thing - some may call them 'defects', while others call them 'features' and add £10 on the price !

If you want to see somebody whose turning revolves (no pun intended) around features, catch up with Phil Anderson on YouTube - see this example of a piece riddled in 'features':

It's a state-of mind thing - some may call them 'defects', while others call them 'features' and add £10 on the price !

If you want to see somebody whose turning revolves (no pun intended) around features, catch up with Phil Anderson on YouTube - see this example of a piece riddled in 'features':

Therebelturner is another, he doesn't post anymore since he moved to living on a boat but he was my biggest influence and really good at explaining how he works.

Scrape your way to success .

It you look at all the 'signature' turning tools put out, the vast majority are effectively scrapers.

There is a huge difference between turning wood and turning plastic, resin, epoxy and so on. This is not a beginner exercise. If you like the piece you have, seal it and save it for a later date.

Back