Axminster M33x 3.5 Woodturning woodscrew chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sometime ago I bought an Axminster woodscrew chuck. I have only used it occasionally, generally preferring faceplates. I used it today to mount a bowl blank. As well as the the centre screw, I also used 4 short screws to secure the blank. Having turned the outside of the bowl, I came to take the chuck off the headstock spindle. I locked the spindle, grasped the bowl and tried to turn it off. I couldn’t budge it. The chuck comes with a 6mm x 6 inch steel rod that can be inserted into a hole on the edge of the chuck. Usually inserting this rod and giving it a sharp tap will begin to unscrew the chuck from the spindle. It didn’t happen today. I gave the rod increasingly hard hits with a rubber mallet, all without any effect other than bending the rod. I became increasingly desperate, imagining the cost of sending the headstock away. Eventually I used a large pipe wrench. This did it, but at the cost of seriously marking the outside of the chuck body. I was relieved to find headstock spindle was undamaged, the thought that somehow a cross threading had happened had crossed my mind.
A long story, I know, but does anyone know why this happened, or have had the same problem with this Axminster product?
D.

Get a bit of strong, flat plastic - I use a Dettol bottle - and cut a washer from it. This will prevent its happening again. It's not just your chuck or lathe, it often happens.

A length of steel gripped between the jaws of the chuck will usually allow enough leverage to get the chuck off.

Hi, Phil.
I have used the steel rod trick with a normal 4 jaw chuck, but this chuck is not of that type. See photos.
I have used cork washers in the past to prevent chucks sticking but stopped using them when I started using the metal rod in the jaws trick. Thanks for reminding me about the use of washers. I’d completely forgotten.
D.

Attachments

• E745DA44-AA8A-4E47-8B28-68AA285C5D88.jpeg
    E745DA44-AA8A-4E47-8B28-68AA285C5D88.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • CEFA912E-3DAF-4461-94A9-9990E854DB3E.jpeg
    CEFA912E-3DAF-4461-94A9-9990E854DB3E.jpeg
    897.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4E0DCF6E-719C-4495-B554-992B37DDED61.jpeg
    4E0DCF6E-719C-4495-B554-992B37DDED61.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 0
Although the APTC screw chuck is supplied with a rod a better tool would be a correctly sized 'C' spanner. I say correct size as Axminster sell one to fit their chucks but it may be the wrong size for this application. C spanners are a fairly easy to find tool.
Edit: In the post 'Bought a lathe on a whim' it shows the use of C spanner.

Last edited:
Although the APTC screw chuck is supplied with a rod a better tool would be a correctly sized 'C' spanner. I say correct size as Axminster sell one to fit their chucks but it may be the wrong size for this application. C spanners are a fairly easy to find tool.
Edit: In the post 'Bought a lathe on a whim' it shows the use of C spanner.
Cheers Robbo

I have a C spanner for my 4 jaw chucks (Record Power). I use it occasionally, but mostly rely I on the steel rod trick.Needless to say, in my desperation yesterday I tried it on the Axminster . Also needless to say, it didn’t fit.
I think I’ll contact them to see if they can supply one that would fit.
Thanks for your input, Robbo, much appreciated
D

Cheers Robbo

I have a C spanner for my 4 jaw chucks (Record Power). I use it occasionally, but mostly rely I on the steel rod trick.Needless to say, in my desperation yesterday I tried it on the Axminster . Also needless to say, it didn’t fit.
I think I’ll contact them to see if they can supply one that would fit.
Thanks for your input, Robbo, much appreciated
D
Try zorro tools. They do a great adjustable c spanner that is pretty cheap

There are lots of adjustable c or pin spanners where you can also buy different sized pins, so you can get both the correct span and pin size. I think mine are kennedy, but lots of other makers out there and not too expensive.

I have used large Stilsons in the past, to get rid of the nasty marks I ended up filing the chuck on slow speed followed by emery paper, not perfect but looked better

Back