Brummie Bash-09.Sept 5th.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big soft moose":23sg2r85 said:
miles_hot":23sg2r85 said:
big soft moose":23sg2r85 said:
i might be able to bring some green timber to play with with them depending on what falls down between now and then.

Not in my little roller skate if I do end up able to give you lift you won't :) Unless they are truly small blanks, especially if you're packing any harpoon like hollowing tools! :)

Miles

we could strap it to the bonnet with a cargo strap :D
After you :)

Hi Paul
Doh! just been away for ten days so missed the post :cry: never mind always next year :lol: . Seems like you put on a good session :lol: at this rate you`ll be hiring a hall next. Hope all goes well.
Regards
Steve

Thanks for that Paul would have loved to come but my other half informs me we are away on hols that weekend. I`m just trying to change things as we speak but if someone definite comes back to you first I`ll hopefully try next time. (`next time`?? A wee bit premature methinks :eek: )
Cheers
Steve

Jeremys wrote
Space allowing I was hoping to bring my VB and pro-forme hollowing tools.

OK Jeremy,if it's not going to be too much trouble for you then by all means do :D
As i said before,jokingly,i thought,there will be help this end i'm sure to help :D

So folks it looks like we will have a VB36 at the bash :shock:

Paul.J":2ntws9ou said:
Jeremys wrote

OK Jeremy,if it's not going to be too much trouble for you then by all means do :D
As i said before,jokingly,i thought,there will be help this end i'm sure to help :D

what does he drive , a low loader ? :shock:

big soft moose":3kb5gu9f said:
Paul.J":3kb5gu9f said:
Jeremys wrote

what does he drive , a low loader ? :shock:

Naah, haven't you heard? The latest version comes with a self propelling motor that can be used on the road so he'll drive it up to Paul's....probably doing a coupleof bowls on the way :lol:

pete

surely all i need is one of these...and if I start pushing now... :lol:

708118_xl.jpg

its not as daft as it sounds...its well within the gross weight of my landrover, and I will need to move it around then anyway to accomodate a workshop move. The headstock is only 2 parts and easily disassembled. put an engine hoist in the car and away we go!

course a self propelled version would be easier...you never know it could improve my turning! I might need a longer extension lead however :roll:

Jeremy can you let me know when youre going to arrive? So I can plan to get there an hour later ;)

:D but then you will miss all the swearing! I can see I will have to make this work, or never be allowed to forget it!

I will be moving the headstock this weekend anyway, to will test the principles... piccies to follow (if its not a disaster)

Jeremy.
Don't get struggling too much with it and doing yourself a mischief.
If it's gonna be too much to do on your own then leave it.
We could have a bash down your place next time,and have a play on it :lol:

Jeremys":2yfu9cbt said:
surely all i need is one of these...and if I start pushing now... :lol:

708118_xl.jpg

its not as daft as it sounds...its well within the gross weight of my landrover, and I will need to move it around then anyway to accomodate a workshop move. The headstock is only 2 parts and easily disassembled. put an engine hoist in the car and away we go!

course a self propelled version would be easier...you never know it could improve my turning! I might need a longer extension lead however :roll:

surely all you need to do is
1) mount the VB on the base
2) lock the wheels
3) turn a large disc sufficient to miss the floor by about 4mm
4) mount a load of bike wheel inner tubes on the disc to give grip
5) work out the means of powering the lathe on the move - running it from the cig lighter socket on a car / truly supendous set of solar panels / very long extension lead
6) unlock wheels and switch on lathe

et voila self propelled VB...

Granted there are some small details to be worked out (power, not rotating rapidly on the spot, minor health and safety) but it could be a goer... :)

Miles

Well train tickets booked, so god willing I'll be there. Looking forward to it. Only a week before my 30th so make sure you get a big bow for my present ;) :lol: :lol:

Obviously I won't be able to bring any timber if I'm on the train, but will still bring the pro-forme and anything else interesting I can get into my case.

I feel like a bit of an outsider on the wood turning forum :cry: but big soft moose alerted me to this post on the general forum. As I said feel a bit of an outsider on this part of the forum. However, I do know some of you anyway already from other parts of the forum. Unfortunatley, Paul, I don't really know you and feel a bit erm... pushy asking, but would it be possible if I could come along?

I have had a tiny experience with turning, and so do not class myself as competant freehand. I can probably bring some "blanks"? Is that what you call em? Offcuts? Machined up for demo stuff......?

Who? Me?
My only experience or turning is setting up a lathe that can copy a template you've cut out on a bandsaw or something and then running the timber on the lathe and controlling the speed of cut to get the best results, and then just finishing off with a bit of sandpaper. I have done a batch of over 500 finials in one go. Although haven't done anything since that, which was a long time ago! 500 times gets a big boring, but suppose it makes the money :roll:

Joiner-sim wrote
Unfortunatley, Paul, I don't really know you and feel a bit erm... pushy asking, but would it be possible if I could come along?
Well Simon seeing as you are loca land you don't think you will be bored watching spinning wood and listening to woodturning chat all day,than you are in,and you are the last member to make it.The shop is shut :D
But under one condition.You will have to have a go at turning :wink:
We might even convert you :lol:
But as i say if anyone else would like to come along,still put your name down just in case others fall out.

Bodrighy wrote
Is this something that could be demoed at the bash or is it already full up with ideas?
I hope so Pete as i would also like to see it been done.
We will just have to see how things go on the day.

Latest posts

Back