Lambourn bash - aka the brummie bash re-located (updated)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
Great day, great laugh, lots of tips and techniques swapped.

180 grit, isn't it a multi faceted turning tool, :lol: :lol: works pretty good though :lol: :lol:

Miles

Thank you for your hospitality and to your good lady for the wonderful food. The cakes were fab and your family great to meet.

Hope to meet all again one day.

wot no pictures ?

sorry i didnt make it chaps - we were on the road back from cornwall today and although i intended to put in appearance for the afternoon the motorway was blocked and traffic on the 303 was hell so we didnt get back here til near 3pm :cry:

Hi Miles,

Many thanks for organising today, I for one have had a brilliant time, met some great people, ate some great food, and learnt a great deal.

If I was at good at doing screw threads with the thread chasers as I was with the skew chisel, I reckon I'd have this woodturning malarky cracked :lol:

And, as an added bonus, even with my map reading and Richard's driving, we still managed to get home safely!! Mind you, Doug must have been peddling like mad because we reckon he passed us on the M40 and we weren't hanging around :-$

Thanks to everyone involved today,

Proper Job!

Malc :D

Here are my pics of the day.

Richard gave a great demo/explanation of the skew, spindle turning and thread cutting as well as copy turning which I managed to master quite quickly :lol:

well my piece nearly looked the same, at about twenty paces in the fog. :lol:

I enjoyed the thread chasing and must now after as well as being shown by George take up the challenge.

STA70505_800x600.jpg

STA70506_800x600.jpg

STA70508_800x600.jpg

STA70509_800x600.jpg

STA70512_800x600.jpg

STA70513_800x600.jpg

Here's George trying to tame the power of the mini lathe.

STA70510_450x600.jpg

George giving some instruction on the gouge.

STA70511_800x600.jpg

That's all I got I am afraid, looking forward to the rest.

Nice - and good to see that the viceroy came in handy - so i was there in (metal) spirit if not in actual moose like person.

Thanks you one and all for a brilliant day. Whilst it was no small amount of effort (not least to clear the Garage) it was more than worth it. When I walked into the garage at the end it felt oddly empty. Wonderful banter, excellent demonstrations by Mark, Richard and Chris with George making excellent contributions and asides to Mark and Richard. Also lovely that Peter turned his first bowl (with some tuition from Mark and George).

Some pictures from the day:
Finally got it tidy enough to fit us all in, Mark turned up with some time to spare to install himself in the corner:

Mark showing how his hollow forms are produced including showing a very shear cut (with the bevel rubbing)

One of the nice things about these bashes are the incidental tips you pick up, like this: When you've made a friction drive to turn off the spigot on your hollow form, drill a hole in the bottom to take a sanding pad to enable a rapid sanding of the marks left when you pare off the nub left:

Richard (with some assistance from George) then explored thread turning; before and after the lunch break.

After Lunch Richard moved onto "the mysteries of the Skew" :) with audience participation from myself, Nick, Ryan and Paul

All the time mark had obiously been interested and itching to have a go, after some basic tuition :p :shock: :D the extreemly good natured banter resulted in a challenge being accepted around copy turning a finail (i think the result was Mark 13 mins, Richard 6 mins with fidelity honours also going to Richard!).

meanwhile Chris had been showing how to turn his lovely hazel flowers with many of us having a go (my wife and daughter are enjoying the spoils of the day - thanks!).

Whilst all this had been going on Peter had been receiving some tuition from March and George (with George very kindly sharpening a new gouge in a repeat of his service to me last year!). This resulted in Peter producing his first bowl including buffing after everyone had left (last man standing honors go to Peter)

Mark, George and Nick brought along examples of their work which I added a few bowls to to make a mini gallery (sadly Nick's fantastic boxes are just off shot - sorry!):

All in all a fantastic day. Caroline says that I'm not allowed to host it next year but I can do the year after if we want :)

Caroline also asked me to pass on her thanks, not only for all the lovely flowers, wine, victoria sandwich but also for the company, thanks and general good humor and camaraderie which was flowing. You all made it a brilliant day and I look forward to the next one!

Many thanks

Miles
PS Also many thanks for all the lovely wood (including some fantastic burs which I will turn on the graduate when it is up and running)

Sounds like a good one. I love living in Cornwall but miss the bashes. Perhaps sort something out down here one year though you'd al have to camp out if it happens

pete

CHJ":1v3pwlip said:
Make sure at least one of you takes 6 or 8 spare hours, I'll guarantee there just ain't going to be enough time to do what you wanted to do, enjoy yourselves and stay safe.

You are so right - we didn't get to cover Pen turning (sorry MikeC and Ryan) nor fruit turning :)

Too much audience participation and banter I think :) :) :)

Miles

I am so glad that all went well and the weather was kind too! I have followed the thread with interest and but for the distance would have been there and no! I can't see me hosting one here? A lovely thought, but!!

George, in Marks last photo just how much shavings did you finish up with in your drink? If none then that young man was just not trying hard enough!

Great day by the looks of it!

I'd just like to offer my thanks as well to Miles & Caroline for hosting the day in such a brilliant (and a very) relaxed atmosphere, and to learn some new tips and techniques from "The Professionals..." at the same time.

Did a bit of thread chasing.... :oops: more practice required, a bit of skewing, a bit of buffing/polishing..... and even managed to do a 'dead' flower or two with help from Richard (i promise i will do some more and post back here....).

But sadly not enough time to look at pens or fruit...... :( , just dont know where the time went......

Exchanged a few items that i brought with me i.e. Kapur & Balau wood, and a few bits of Sika tooling block, for some nice pieces of corian. Many thanks to Doug for the piece of Holly for me to have a play with too....

And some bargains to be had from the back of Richards van too. What more could you ask for.

Pleased....?? I should say so.....!!

Thanks to all once again.

Nick

miles_hot":oo60q5n7 said:
Caroline says that I'm not allowed to host it next year but I can do the year after if we want :)

If i'm still down this end next year I'll host ( I'm applying for a job ooop north so nothing's certain) if no one else with more space comes forward (i'm in a single car garage - tho i might be able to arrange to use the more spacious 'shop at work)

Glad it all went well Miles, thanks for taking up the cudgels when Paul had to pull out.
Sorry I was unable to join the chatter but it sounds as though my waist line was saved somewhat.

Glad you all had a good day,looks like it was as good as the one at Paul`s last year. Well done Miles and the others :lol:
Steve

Jonzjob":3hmu3s1f said:
George, in Marks last photo just how much shavings did you finish up with in your drink? If none then that young man was just not trying hard enough!

:lol: that young man (peter) was trying very hard- he was struggling to get used to a new bowl gouge and there was a very awkward knot causing trouble!! but my drink stayed shavings free
I’m pleased that you succeeded in getting it finished Peter

The only real deep tearout left on the piece is right on the line of the knot. There's a couple of other smaller bits on the inside face that I didn't quite get round to turning out, but I think I got the hang of turning over the knot pretty well, it was a solid one that went right through the blank, so it was an issue on both faces of the piece.

I`d like to add my thanks to Miles & Caroline, it was a very enjoyable, well organized day. Thanks.

=D> =D> =D>

It was also great to meet up with a few old friends & make a few more.

A few snaps in no particular order.

Mark starting his demo on a lidded form.

001-3.jpg

Richard showing how thread chasing should be done.

004-1.jpg

Chris making his lovely flowers.

006.jpg

Good hearted banter.

011.jpg

014.jpg

Richard demonstrates the correct use of the skew.

015.jpg

Which Mark was keen to learn, whilst in the background Peter was get some first class instruction from George on bowl turning.

017.jpg

& finally the finial challenge thrown down to Mark by Richard, to copy the brown finial on the headstock.

019.jpg

020.jpg

The banter was thick & fast, but there was only ever going to be one winner :lol:

Once again, thanks Miles & Caroline.

Best wishes.

Doug.

Back