Brummie Bash-09.Sept 5th.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul.J":25vjqbdr said:
Joiner-sim wrote
Unfortunatley, Paul, I don't really know you and feel a bit erm... pushy asking, but would it be possible if I could come along?
Well Simon seeing as you are loca land you don't think you will be bored watching spinning wood and listening to woodturning chat all day,than you are in,and you are the last member to make it.The shop is shut :D
But under one condition.You will have to have a go at turning :wink:
We might even convert you :lol:
But as i say if anyone else would like to come along,still put your name down just in case others fall out.

Thankyou very much paul, I'll have a go at turning, but you must be warned, if I shout duck, dont say "where?" just duck! :lol:
As I already said, I can probably get hold of some erm... "offcuts" (upto 1000mm long possibly) generally, softwood, hemlock, sapele, oak and african cedar can be found lying around the workshop , so just let me know of dimensions you require and can bring along if nessecary.

joiner_sim":16ycd5x2 said:
Who? Me?
I have done a batch of over 500 finials in one go. Although haven't done anything since that, which was a long time ago! 500 times gets a big boring, but suppose it makes the money :roll:

You are a closet turner \:D/ I doubt that there are that many on this forum who have turned that many of any one thing.

Pete

joiner_sim":2wg38gli said:
As I already said, I can probably get hold of some erm... "offcuts" (upto 1000mm long possibly) generally, softwood, hemlock, sapele, oak and african cedar can be found lying around the workshop , so just let me know of dimensions you require and can bring along if nessecary.

They're not offcuts, they are ruddy great blanks. What's hemlock like tio turn?

Pete

lol the 500 finials.... the hard part was setting it up for the cutter to follow the pattern correctly, the rest was just adjusting the speed the cutter moved , faster for shallow parts of the cut, and slower for deeper parts of the cut. only softwood, I think the company got about 50p per finial!

Offcuts, whats the minimum dimensions & length really, that would be useful for turning, and does it need to be PAR or would sawn do?

It doesn't matter really Simon.They will be cut into square blanks,then rounded.So just leave them in plank form so they can be cut up however :D
Planed would be good for laminating etc but rough sawn will be fine too.

okay I'll try n collect some of the offcuts, preferably the sapele and oak.... I'm guessing? :wink:
softwood..... booo! but still alryt to practice with I imagine?
hemlock, I have no idea on how it turns.... The wickes catalogue sell stairparts in hemlock, so could be okay? It's straight grained and generally defect free.

joiner_sim":1juz2rys said:
softwood..... booo! but still alryt to practice with I imagine?
By softwood do you mean pine? If you happen to have any offcuts of that really naff Masur birch I would be quite happy to take it off your hands to 'practice' with.

Most turners will turn any wood if only to prove they can.

E.G. This old fence post
Naff old soft wood in regular use. Holds a good can of beer.

Pete

Looks as though there will be a list of things going on.
I think we will have to try and cut the demoing down a bit,not a lot :lol:

So far,off the top of me head we have-
Dusty dave and his scroll saw.
Cornucopia- thread chasing and hollowing,and other things no doubt.
BSM-Photography.Bowl saver.
Me-Bowl saving.Hollowing rig.
JeremyS-VB36,hopefully.
Richburrow-Record lathe.
Plus a load of other tools to look and play with/try out :D

As much as I'd love to see it, I think the bowl saving can be dropped. I don't think the majority of people will be intending to buy this kit?

Speak up if you disagree.

Yes i agrre Tom. :D
So that's that one off the list,unless others want to see it.
We could still compare the differing tools though i suppose.

I think it should be one big hollowing\threading bonanza! :lol:

If you can get some without knots then it'll be good for practise. But generally no one turns softwood. I've seen some nice stuff done with douglass fir but it's a b*tch to work.

Aghh the headboard.
I watched the wip on that one Simon,all those M&Ts cut by hand :shock: rather you than me,and you made a very nice job of it :D
Might look nice now with some nicely turned finials on the posts :wink:

By softwood, I mean European Redwood, here's a picture of it, without any finish applied to it.
That is harder than the white Pine isn't it, :? :?: so that should be fine so long as it's got some nice grain effect,which you can get with Pine anyhow. :D
We do like to see some nice grain pattern rather than just plain wood.

Wizer wrote
I think it should be one big hollowing\threading bonanza!
OK Tom.Fine by me.
If i know before hand i can try and arrange things in the shop to accomodate.
What do others think/want to see/do :?: :?:

Paul,

definitely hollowing for me, I've got a sorby 851H that I just can't get to grips with so any help along those lines would be usefull.

Regards

Steve :)

the 851h swan neck sorby hollower isnt the best on the market as it tends to twist allot plus the tip is too large for most hollowing.. but i can show you a few things which will hopefully help
you are also more than welcome to have a go with the trent bosch swan neck tools which are a dream to use.

I'm going to be very interested by the hollowing - that's certainly somewhere I am aiming to get into however first things first - I am going to be very interested in how grinds affect the action of a bowl gouge etc - very basic stuff :)

Miles

but i can show you a few things which will hopefully help
you are also more than welcome to have a go with the trent bosch swan neck tools which are a dream to use.

Thanks for the offer George, looking forward to it :D

Steve

Latest posts

Back