British Sumer Time Note

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and somebody on a radio phone-in show yesterday felt the need to remind listeners that they didn't have to stay awake until 2 a.m. to alter their clocks and watches.

The mind boggles.

...and somebody on a radio phone-in show yesterday felt the need to remind listeners that they didn't have to stay awake until 2 a.m. to alter their clocks and watches.

The mind boggles.
. . . the convension is that the clocks go forward at 1am - thus becoming 2am - when they go back it is at 2am making it 1am

. . . the convension is that the clocks go forward at 1am - thus becoming 2am - when they go back it is at 2am making it 1am

Yes.
But they were emphasising that you don't have to "wait up" to do it!

I don’t give it much thought these days as my I phone resets automatically. The cooker timer is manual but no drama there . Lol do folk actually wait up until 2 am 😳😭😤🫣🤔

1711816302083.jpeg

I don’t give it much thought these days as my I phone resets automatically. The cooker timer is manual but no drama there . Lol do folk actually wait up until 2 am 😳😭😤🫣🤔
I don't 'wait up' - 2 am is pretty much my usual time to retire but I still forget to re-set the oven clock until I make breakfast at 12 noon.

I doubt the team of three who look after the Royal collection of over 1000 clocks wait up either :)

I doubt the team of three who look after the Royal collection of over 1000 clocks wait up either :)
Can you even imagine how boring that job must be winding up clocks for your entire working life!

The mind boggles....

I have an atomic clock, it changes time without any intervention from me, I'm just an observer of time.
I will be honest and say I did once stay up to watch it change but that was only because Jack Daniels was visiting. 😁

I always thought the change in daylight hours was to do with Farming and Farmers being able to work in daylight, but seeing our local famers working at night with floodlights in fields and high powered lights on their tractors, that does not apply anymore?

I have an atomic clock, it changes time without any intervention from me, I'm just an observer of time.
I will be honest and say I did once stay up to watch it change but that was only because Jack Daniels was visiting. 😁
I don't have the luxury of my own atomic clock, but have one of the cheaper sort that synchronises to a radio signal that used to come from Rugby, but now comes from somewhere in Cumbria, I believe. I have also watched it spring forward on one occasion. I imagine the falling back is slightly less exciting.

Someone once pointed out that to take an hour from the start of the day and tack it on to the latter half in the belief it would make the day longer was remarkably bloody stupid...
I'll never understand why we can't just stick to GMT year round.

The purpose of the clocks changing twice a year is to give people something to complain about.

Then it's fulfilled that purpose rather well, with me at least!
We’ve got three clocks that are quarter hour chimers. Now that is a PITA moving the hand on and letting it chime each quarter!

Mustn’t complain though ;)

Can't be many building site joiners on these forums, ever tried fitting a roof an hour and a half before sunrise? without daylight saving the winter solstice falling on Dec 21st would mean sunrise is at 09:22

Last edited:
Back