British Sumer Time Note

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two systematic errors at play there, firstly GMT is the average (hence the "mean") local time as obserbed at Greenwich. Since the majority of the country is to the west of Greenwich it follows that locally observed solar time trails GMT.

The second is that a day is not of constant length. Leave aside the natural variation in the speed of the Earth's rotation due to ocean and atmospheric currents and tidal effect, those are quite small compared that caused by the fact the Earth's orbit is an ellipse rather than a circle. As a result geometery changes (how many times the Earth must rotate for the Sun to return to its highest point) and it also moves faster around the Sun when it is closer to it (in December).

For those reasons sunrise and sunset would never perfectly centre themselves around noon. It's also why if you count the days between the spring and autumn equinoxes you find that "winter" (in the northern hemisphere) is actually several days shorter than "summer".
"About" was the key word there, also the "London" ...

Saskatchewan doesn't do the clock switching thing like the rest of Canada does. There is a state or two in the US that doesn't either. Don't have to change up the clocks or any of that nonsense. The dogs still bug us to be feed all the time, earlier the better. I only notice the time differences it when I want to call someone and have to consider their time zone.

Now if you want to ponder something ask yourself what time it is in Newfoundland? They are half an hour different from the rest of North America and they observe DST too!

Pete

Saskatchewan doesn't do the clock switching thing like the rest of Canada does. There is a state or two in the US that doesn't either. Don't have to change up the clocks or any of that nonsense. The dogs still bug us to be feed all the time, earlier the better. I only notice the time differences it when I want to call someone and have to consider their time zone.

Now if you want to ponder something ask yourself what time it is in Newfoundland? They are half an hour different from the rest of North America and they observe DST too!

Pete
No wonder they're the 'brunt' of jokes from the rest of NA! :ROFLMAO:

This year I changed the time on the dashboard clock. I felt quite tech-savvy. :)

Can't be many building site joiners on these forums, ever tried fitting a roof an hour and a half before sunrise? without daylight saving the winter solstice falling on Dec 21st would mean sunrise is at 09:22
We do have electricity now and things called lights. 😄 ButI like the reply you gave!! 😄 😄

Down South we just cannot grasp this very weird custom of changing the time on clocks.
If it is 08:00AM it stays 08:00AM in summer and winter. :cool:
I'm reading Michael Moseley's book on Better Sleeping at the moment (boy do l need it). In it he refers to effects of the hour change. Apparently 1.5billion people in 70 countries change their clocks twice a year. This disturbance causes a significant 24% increase in heart attacks associated with adding the extra hour and a 21% increase on removing the hour.
Brian

I'm reading Michael Moseley's book on Better Sleeping at the moment (boy do l need it). In it he refers to effects of the hour change. Apparently 1.5billion people in 70 countries change their clocks twice a year. This disturbance causes a significant 24% increase in heart attacks associated with adding the extra hour and a 21% increase on removing the hour.
Brian
So are you saying if you might have a heart condition you should let someone else in the house change the clocks?

Pete🤭

Back