Hello all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfw2708

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
hi everyone, trust you have all had a good Christmas so far! I’m a complete newbie to woodworking. I did a 2 day weekend course with the excellent Nick at Wharfedale Workshop a few weeks ago…first time id picked up a chisel since woodwork at school in the early 80s. I’m looking forward to getting into things, facing the usual newbie challenges of what are the ‘essential’ tools, where do i buy wood from, how do i stop myself spending thousands on tools i will use once / never….lol. set-up will be in my garage and I’ve been working with Nick to make a bench to use. Got a few things for Christmas from the family and now about to sharpen my first chisel set…wish me luck!

cheers

Welcome @jfw27to the knot house. I'm sure you will enjoy your woodworking and get a lot from it: pleasure, satisfaction, a sense of achievement, frustration, bruises, cuts and splinters. But keep going.
A word to the wise though: don't mention the 's' word, you know (I'll whisper it) sharpening. There's many different opinions here and each adherent supports their 'only way to do it' vehemently.
Anyways up there are a lot of experienced members who will offer advice should you need some.
Have fun and enjoy.
Martin

Welcome welcome , if the woodworking bug has truly bitten you then about the only thing to stop you from buying more tools are the words - out of stock ,, or no longer available lol 🫣🫣🫣 best bet is to start with small projects and then ask yourself if you can complete it with the tools you have or do you need ( yes you do ) any other tools ( of course you do ) to make a good job ( probably need that new tri square / drill / microscope / drone / etc etc . Seriously though don’t go mad but don’t buy really cheap poorly made tools . Car boots , eBay job lots and of course the for sale section on this forum will help you .. good luck ..

Back