My first thread….table saw, sander and dust extractor….be gentle….

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bandsaw - handy to have. But how handy when its needed to split 8x4 boards ?, not handy at all.
If you are talking about breaking down a full sheet, as @paulrbarnard says, track saw is the right tool unless you have a £3k panel saw.
So yes, you need a tablesaaw, as well as a bandsaw, as well as a planer/thicknesser, as well as a cross cutting machine like a powered mitre saw.
Drill stand or pillar drill is nice too, as well as a morticer and very handy to have is an oscillating bobbin sander.
Mitre trimmer is very nice to own.
Router table - Thumbs up.
What you described there is a fully kitted workshop, is not what the OP was asking for anyway.
And if you have a track saw with an MFT setup or parallel guides or both, you can do 95% of what a small to medium table saw does plus what a decent mitre saw does (except maybe for really thick stuff)

Huge pile of other bits most of which will see use once a decade, but nice to have all the same.

But No1 start off with a tablesaw.
For a person just starting out, tablesaw can be a restricting purchase.

Not saying your experience is invalidated, but saying it may not be appropriate for a new starter.

For a person just starting out, tablesaw can be a restricting purchase.

Not saying your experience is invalidated, but saying it may not be appropriate for a new starter.

The OP did state he was thinking of one(DeWalt 7485)
If you look at the ripping width of the above saw, it is 610mm. They didnt arrive at that figure by pulling numbers out a hat, its 610mm because they expect you to rip 8x4 sheets on it.

Tracksaws are excellent. I've the festool ts55 and find it invaluable. Great as it happens for board material

What you described there is a fully kitted workshop, is not what the OP was asking for anyway.

I was simply philosophizing on how things progress as time goes on. You start with this, and then find a need for that, and that and two of those etc etc, And Im sure the OP if he continues on will progress onto buying other bits and pieces.

(except maybe for really thick stuff)
Darn that pesky really thick stuff

Tablesaw would be handy to have in just such a scenario. :)

Last edited:
If you have space and money for a sliding panel saw then for sure it’s an excellent option. A site saw or a small table saw is far from ideal for working sheet goods.
Due to small workshop I use my track saw outside on trestles when cutting sheet goods or trimming doors and my table saw for smaller stuff, my point being lack of room dictates which is best/easy and no I haven’t got a MFT table to use my track saw on.

have a look at peter Millard and rag n bone brown youtube videos - dust extraction and tracksaw guides - worth a watch.

rag n bone brown has done a few recent videos on dust extraction and planer/thicknesser. some of the older videos of peter millard for tracksaws and dust extraction.

As a DIYer i have often thought of getting a table saw - but always seem to get by without it , same for tracksaw - I have a few long guides now and use with a circular saw to breakdown large sheets. Seems to work well for the projects i have made
Cupboards, window seats, large wardrobe/cupboard type of things and panelling - some posted here

As has been said before - it really depends on what the hobby is focused on making

if you want to try things out - maybe worth going onlong to a mans shed group , if you have 1 locally , I have also been thinking perhaps of doing that recently. You can always find out what kit they have available.

https://menssheds.org.uk/find-a-shed/

They readily accept nutters.
yea, i have been involved a lot in photographic clubs and thats probably why i have not bothered to go along... BUT if they have the kit , then a good place to try some gear out
also a lot of shared workshops seem to be popping up , at least again mentioned on a few youtube videos

yea, i have been involved a lot in photographic clubs and thats probably why i have not bothered to go along... BUT if they have the kit , then a good place to try some gear out
also a lot of shared workshops seem to be popping up , at least again mentioned on a few youtube videos
Unfortunately men’s sheds usually have people of a certain age that have spent their life doing things their own way.I have been to one when I retired and didn’t want to be there to mop the blood up.
Safety was a bit lax and unfortunately when a guy with quite bad dementia was dropped off for the session and I overheard the conversation that he “tended to wander off so you need to keep an eye on him “ I decided this was not for me.

I have a different take on this, well for one who's only seen one picture of Nick's instagram.
(a nice jewelry box)
If that's the kinda thing, i.e solid woods, then I'll give me 2 cents.

A big bandsaw, like 20" machine, large enough for ripping with accurately,
and will do everything else, unless crosscutting long material, not often needed to break out a handsaw.
Safer, cleaner, quieter...that last part only if one gets something which is at, or thereabouts 200+kg for higher tension than a lesser machine can honestly handle. (don't believe the theoretical specs)

Some hand planes are needed straight away!!!
and if you're still thinking of getting a tablesaw right now, then you needed them yesterday.
The machine, by and large, is a danger without the ability to prep a face and edge.

Forget sanders for now, you want to focus on doing all you can on doing things cleanly.
i.e cutting rather than abrading.
Hand tools again

A nice hand mains powered drill when you come across something very decent for very cheap,
from the 90's kinda thing. (mortises)
just as a router or two, if you trip across them,
good to start looking for things you'll need later on, if you're doing things on the cheap.

Two good examples regarding the above, whilst scouring ebay...
Look for a nice old no.5 1/2 plane, and you'll come across some more common smoothers for cheap.
The bandsaw I mentioned last, not sure if it got bid on, but it needed a new motor,
and might have been got for 200+quid.
One could trawl ebay for a motor until something cheap pops up, like 50 quid for a 3hp dual
voltage motor, and a hundred quid for a VFD.
Not actually suggesting a 24"/600mm wheeled machine, but anything from a 440 to 540 wheel size, is what I'd be looking for.
A bargain of some sorts, provided the wheels bores are sound, (the worst thing to go wrong on a machine with good parts like the Italian stuff)

You could do some work on such a machine in the meantime, should you find something similar and were waiting for a motor, (bit of a longshot example I know)
New or old, it might need be on wheels,
You might have spent yer budget on getting it home, skint for a bit..
Lots of logistics possibly involved once you add one machine in a tight space..
especially the tablesaw compared, for instance the HSE guidance of 450mm length push sticks,
would likely show up the shortcomings of a site saw, (the ones with the consumable, but unobtainable motors)
There would be as much work making those safe, as there would with an old Startrite for instance,
outfeeds and whatnot, which isn't a bodge.
if you wanted to use such a messy machine in the first place.

Too many things to mention, if doing stuff on the cheap.
Some good lists in the search.
The bench is arguably the most important of all things which will take up the most space.
I wouldn't skimp on it as some do, if there are options to make it longer
i.e on retractable wheels.

All the best
Tom

Unfortunately men’s sheds usually have people of a certain age that have spent their life doing things their own way.I have been to one when I retired and didn’t want to be there to mop the blood up.
Safety was a bit lax and unfortunately when a guy with quite bad dementia was dropped off for the session and I overheard the conversation that he “tended to wander off so you need to keep an eye on him “ I decided this was not for me.
Who in this day and age would send someone with dementia to a woodworking environment - my mother has it and the thought of how that scenario could play out is unthinkable - no wonder you gave it a miss -

Picking up on this a little late, several good suggestions on here already. Just thought i would throw in my tuppence since i started woodworking recently also, within the last 3 years and made a few mistakes im willing to share.

1. Sander
Invest in a good sander up front, it will be be the one tool you spend the most time with. Depending on your available budget, i would honestly not look any further than Festool or Mirka, they are superior and will leave you satisfied with a fairly tedious task. Both brands will hold their value better than pretty much anything else so worst case, if you decide woodworking is not for you, you will not lose out badly. Eitherway, shoot for a 5mm stroke as this will get you the best coverage out of one sander before needing to get additional tools.

2. Extractor
Get something second hand, easy to pick up something cheap. I would try get 2, a chip extractor and a smaller shop vac style extractor. I picked up a Kity chip extractor for 50 quid and you can get cheaper shop vacs for around 100. If you wanted to splurge, again anything more expensive like festool, bostch etc. will hold its value decently and work better.

3. Table Saw
The arguments for a bandsaw and track saw here are very fair. If you can, consider what your big projects are going to be over the next couple of years and buy for that. If smaller jobs like boxes, chopping boards etc. then id go for a bandsaw. If its going to be predominantly cabinet making, id go for a track saw. If you think you will be doing a mix of cabinet making and some larger solid lumber processing for bigger projects like coffee tables etc. i would lean towards a table saw. I got a table saw as I had a list of projects i knew i wanted to achieve including beds, dining tables etc which involve me processing large pieces of hardwood which i would struggle to do with a track saw or bandsaw.

Eitherway, i would recommend putting some time into this. I bought a "jobsite" table saw and regretted it massively and ended up replacing it within a couple of months with a proper table saw and lost a bunch of money in the process. Skip the dewalt and shop around for a decent older proper cast iron table saw from the likes of scheppach or wadkin etc. lots of good advice on here for what to look for and the UK has tons of good stuff available second hand. The same principle applies to the bandsaw IMO and also a planer thicknesser. Find something older but well looked after, it will outlast any cheaper item on the market and stand you in good stead.

Dont buy gimmicky things you see on youtube. Save your money and bigger investments for quality tools and even more so, good hardwood.

Last piece of advice, when buying something, always think of it as an asset. I.E. how will it hold its value/resell. If you needed to liquidate your tool collection, generally speaking, the higher value brands like festool etc. will hold their value very well so even if its a bit more of a stretch up front, if you can afford it, i generally consider it a smarter decision than buying a cheaper version of it which likely will hold little to no value long term.

I’m not averse to spending money
Don't be too quick off the mark.

I’m making a workbench with Nick at Wharfedale…so hopefully that will be the solid foundation to build some rudimentary skills with hand tools on
When you do your workbench course you will be able to review your needs and make an informed decision as to the most appropriate tools to consider acquiring and base your selections on your intended projects, if they are all small scale you really don't need a table saw, bandsaw etc, everything can be done with hand tools and some application.

Hi all,
probably one of the most asked questions on here…and one that has evaded my newbie search skills. So, having not done any woodworking since 3rd year woodwork class 40 years ago I’ve done a couple of days course with the excellent Nick at Wharfedale Workshop and I’m leaping into woodworking! I’ve bought some hand tools on eBay and thinking of getting a table saw (probs DeWalt 7485) and a random orbit sander…and maybe at some point a planer/thicknesser. So based on my woodworking space being in a part of a double garage (shared with our home gym and a few bikes..) and then fact i will be doing a few hobby projects what is the general consensus on dust extraction suggestions. Should i get a Henry? A big brand basic dust extractor….something else..? I’m not averse to spending money, being in the pay cheap, pay twice mentality, but also dont want to waste money on overkill equipment. Any advice to a confused newbie would be much appreciated. Thx.
I have a Bosch Gas 25 which is amazing and well worth the money (about £350). Filtering is amazing and suction is great. I do a fair bit of work with MDF, so I also picked up an Axminster air filter too.

I’m thinking of initially a matebo ROS and matching it to a matebo dust extractor that seem to be around the £240 mark. Anyone any experience of using matebo and are they any good…the ROS gets great reviews but I haven’t seen anything on the extractor. Was thinking it seems to be a level that isn’t comedy expensive for what initially will only be sander extracting but then gives expandability off i get more kit in down the line

Many will scoff at this, as the man is regularly mentioned to be a self interested
i.e in your wallet, and will possibly convince you that you need this or that, fair enough,
but if you approach his teachings with that in mind, then you likely won't get much better
of a comprehensive instruction than Rob Cosman.
Some may call him dishonest in the tool selling sense, but that cannot be said for the work!
which isn't the case with some other far more unscrupulous folks,
who's game is to tie into subscription services,
Be wise to both of those things, and you need not spend anything.

Why am I saying this, well you need find a good start for hand planing,
as having a sander will serve you no purpose, nor should it in your environment,

Should you not be in the construction game, and wish to make some furniture or whatnot.
Keep onto your money, did I read ITS have their annual sale now on those hones?
That would be a good start.

p.s.
Rob has a good line worth heeding, goes something like...
"I've never coughed up a shaving!"
and p.p.s, beware of his antics with the sawstop!
All the best
Tom

Many will scoff at this, as the man is regularly mentioned to be a self interested
i.e in your wallet, and will possibly convince you that you need this or that, fair enough,
but if you approach his teachings with that in mind, then you likely won't get much better
of a comprehensive instruction than Rob Cosman.
Some may call him dishonest in the tool selling sense, but that cannot be said for the work!
which isn't the case with some other far more unscrupulous folks,
who's game is to tie into subscription services,
Be wise to both of those things, and you need not spend anything.

Why am I saying this, well you need find a good start for hand planing,
as having a sander will serve you no purpose, nor should it in your environment,

Should you not be in the construction game, and wish to make some furniture or whatnot.
Keep onto your money, did I read ITS have their annual sale now on those hones?
That would be a good start.

p.s.
Rob has a good line worth heeding, goes something like...
"I've never coughed up a shaving!"
and p.p.s, beware of his antics with the sawstop!
All the best
Tom
Ive been watching Mr Cosman and doing some planing on old wood. Made a makeshift shooting board from some old kitchen drawers and a workmate surface….can see it will be a journey to learn to hand plane but it’s interesting. And the sales underpinning these videos kind of go over my head tbh.

Not much of a journey to use hand planes, though could see why someone might be intimidated
by the cost of those Shapton hones, or ductile iron planes.

That whole better steel thing, aswell as the results of those hones are a perfect example of the money pit some may fall into.
Rob specifically won't use a close set cap iron, as per David W or Derek Cohen,
to name folks who use it properly, and not say Graham Blackburn, who claims the same, but sets his mouths on the smoothers tight.
The difference is you'll be back to the hone before you know it, if you don't follow the recipe.

Saying that, Rob's got some good habits, and a lot of good videos.....
if you can find the useful ones.

David Charlesworth made the best videos on planing I've ever seen,
as there's no bad habits to be found, and between the two, is where I'd suggest looking.
Thereafter, should you have timber what's not so easy to plane, using those suggested preferences, then you can start using the cap iron to sort that out...
instead of being convinced a sharper edge is the solution, when geometry of the cap iron is.

This would prep your timber, and you'd ne'r have to pick up a sander,
which would be extremely arduous on the elbows, slow,consumptive, really dusty, noisy, and generally not feesable for prepping timber by comparison.

Happy new year

All the best
Tom

Not much of a journey to use hand planes, though could see why someone might be intimidated
by the cost of those Shapton hones, or ductile iron planes.

That whole better steel thing, aswell as the results of those hones are a perfect example of the money pit some may fall into.
Rob specifically won't use a close set cap iron, as per David W or Derek Cohen,
to name folks who use it properly, and not say Graham Blackburn, who claims the same, but sets his mouths on the smoothers tight.
The difference is you'll be back to the hone before you know it, if you don't follow the recipe.

Saying that, Rob's got some good habits, and a lot of good videos.....
if you can find the useful ones.

David Charlesworth made the best videos on planing I've ever seen,
as there's no bad habits to be found, and between the two, is where I'd suggest looking.
Thereafter, should you have timber what's not so easy to plane, using those suggested preferences, then you can start using the cap iron to sort that out...
instead of being convinced a sharper edge is the solution, when geometry of the cap iron is.

This would prep your timber, and you'd ne'r have to pick up a sander,
which would be extremely arduous on the elbows, slow,consumptive, really dusty, noisy, and generally not feesable for prepping timber by comparison.

Happy new year

All the best
Tom
Thx for the advice Tom. On the sander i was assuming that would be me just doing some light touch up stuff on anything I’ve made to finish it off….i want planning on any mega sanding in lieu of any other planing etc. will take a look at Dave Charlesworth.

Another one late to the show. The advice I was given when I started was, first, to buy equipment at the point you need it. Don’t buy a whole workshop upfront. Secondly, to buy the best you can afford at the time, not something which would get you through the job in hand. I started with a scroll saw for a couple of projects, and because I bought a substantial one I was subsequently able to use it to make several guitars.

What I’ve found is that stuff can turn up, either from workshop clearances, or from this forum.

You can also make your own pieces as you need them: workbench, router table, cyclone for your dust extractor.

Back