Daylight saving time?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Well, another jump to earlier nights again.

Do we still need this change in time? It neither saves daylight nor improves the working day, just shifts our clocks, length of daylight and darkness doesn't change, just the hour we measure it by.

Do we still need it? Should we abandon it?
Personally I think it's time to abandon it, what do you think?

I recall when I was a boy, they abandoned it for a year at least maybe two but then went back to the old way.

People talk about daylight saving time and I think "they" complain more at this time of year than "they" do in spring.

I tried to figure out why they stayed on summertime that year. Why didn't they change to Zulu time and then stay there?

We should stay on GMT all year round so our sundials tell the truth 🌞

The year round BST was a trial in the late 1960s? maybe 70? but we reverted. In 1941 and again late 40's (Suez crisis?) we went to double summer time, a 2 hour leap at start and end of summer, to save fuel.

The main argument for change to gmt in winter is safety of children on the way to and from school, with a typical 9 to 3 'ish day they can do most journeys in daylight. You get a different perspective further north, we used to go to Glencoe between Christmas and New Year, to do a 6 hour Ridge walk you had to start out before sunrise to have some time in hand for the descent.

There is an argument that you could keep the clocks the same all year round and just change school or work hours Spring and Autumn, but moving the hands (or digits) of the clock for everyone is probably easier to manage.

We spent a night in Tuba City, Arizona, a few years back. It is on the border of the Navaho Nation, who do change to summer/daylight savings time but Arizona doesn't. That meant some organisations like schools and busses were an hour different from others like banks and restaurants. Maybe we should let each town choose, can't see any problems with that.

It is a bit of a pain. It takes the dog a week to adjust to meal times. Big countries with a few time zones it gets even more complex. Each state here does it their own way so even the change over dates are not the same. The town of Broken Hill in NSW keeps South Australian time as the nearest big city is across the border.
Regards
John

Apparently “surveys “ in the UK show a majority of about 59% in favour of leaving it as it is!! Unusually for me, I’m with the majority. It adds a bit of interest and quirkiness to life!!😀

I always thought, splitting the differance and call it quits.......

another relic from the past....history is great but stupid at times.....

Prob find it all started when a polition need to see his bit on the side.....

Be thankful All of you that you don't live in China where I believe they have the same time over the whole country which otherwise would be divided by several different time zones!

A largely unnecessary complication ever since the light bulb became a standard feature.

It does however create opportunities for repetitive social interaction mainly centred around the "jet lag" associated with a time shift of 60 minutes.

It does however create opportunities for repetitive social interaction mainly centred around the "jet lag" associated with a time shift of 60 minutes.
When the days start to lengthen in January, in this locality, there is a ubiquitous greeting of "Quare stretch in the evenings". Standard reply is "Great to see it, I was out doing xxx until x oclock last night"

I have long tried to come up with a similar remark to cover this time of year.

"Quare compression in the evenings" doesn't quite cut it.

Surprisingly "quare" is in some dictionaries.

1. NORTHERN IRISH
    INFORMAL
    remarkable; excellent:
    "he has a quare voice on him"
    • notably large in size, amount, or extent:
      "that's a quare lot of money"

We should stay on GMT all year round so our sundials tell the truth 🌞

The year round BST was a trial in the late 1960s? maybe 70? but we reverted. In 1941 and again late 40's (Suez crisis?) we went to double summer time, a 2 hour leap at start and end of summer, to save fuel.

The main argument for change to gmt in winter is safety of children on the way to and from school, with a typical 9 to 3 'ish day they can do most journeys in daylight. You get a different perspective further north, we used to go to Glencoe between Christmas and New Year, to do a 6 hour Ridge walk you had to start out before sunrise to have some time in hand for the descent.

There is an argument that you could keep the clocks the same all year round and just change school or work hours Spring and Autumn, but moving the hands (or digits) of the clock for everyone is probably easier to manage.

We spent a night in Tuba City, Arizona, a few years back. It is on the border of the Navaho Nation, who do change to summer/daylight savings time but Arizona doesn't. That meant some organisations like schools and busses were an hour different from others like banks and restaurants. Maybe we should let each town choose, can't see any problems with that.
It was the winters of 1968, '69 & '70 that we stayed on BST, my first 3 years at secondary school. I remember all school children in Northern Ireland were issued with reflective armbands as we ended up going to school in the dark - sunrise is roughly 30mins later than GB.

I work 12h shifts as a paramedic.

When the clocks spring forwards, we get to watch with delight as it goes 00:59:59, then 02:00:00. It's lovely to watch an hour of the shift just dissapear before our very eyes, and for pay purposes it still gets counted as the full 12 hour shift even though we loose the hour.

In the other direction when they go back, it gets to 01:59:59, then goes back to 01:00:00. This means we end up doing a 13h shift rather than just the 12 which isn't as fun.

It gets super peculiar when you have something occur where times really do matter, such as a resuscitation - you might start resuscitating someone at 01:45, and then declare the death at 01:10!

I recall when I was a boy, they abandoned it for a year at least maybe two but then went back to the old way.

People talk about daylight saving time and I think "they" complain more at this time of year than "they" do in spring.

I tried to figure out why they stayed on summertime that year. Why didn't they change to Zulu time and then stay there?
If we stayed on GMT (Zulu) wouldn't we be having earlier nights all year? It would also mean daylight starting earlier than most of us need?

On Sunday 26-03-23 the sun rose at 06:51 and set at 19:22.

Had the clocks not gone forward that would have been 05:51 and 18:22.

That would have had no bearing on kids going to school or anything else really.

Back