Garage change of use - any pointers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Hi all, I am toying with the idea of converting our garage into a more usable space.

The garage is single-skin blocks with a flat roof, power and light. It is close to, but not attached to, the house. We have plenty of drive space and the car never goes in the garage.

I am thinking about thermal insulation, replacing up-and-over door with wall, window and door. I will need to do something with the solid concrete floor and put in an insulated ceiling too. Garage already houses tumble drier fridge, freezer but would be a more convenient place to bring muddy dogs in, hang wet coats. It could also become an office space and a music room.

At what point does this need permissions (change of use? building regs?) and what sort of costs** (ballpark figures) am I likely discover? (Assume that I can't do any of the work). Are there any 'gotchas' to consider at the earliest stages. All and any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phill

Edit: ** I use the scale 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k 20k....... just which is likely to be closest. (My guess is 5k)

Last edited:
£5k would be the material cost perhaps….so the cost for you to do it, with maybe the price for an electrician to domthe notifiable stuff.

More like £15k for a builder to do it

As it’s not attached, it is viewed as an outbuilding, so exempt from b/regs unless it’s over 15sq metres and under 1 metre from boundary, or over 30 sq metres - in which case it might invoke b/regs.

Be very careful to consider damp arrangements, as it’s a single skin building, so you need to ensure integrity of damp course of floor, walls and junction of those two.

£5k would be the material cost perhaps….so the cost for you to do it, with maybe the price for an electrician to domthe notifiable stuff.

More like £15k for a builder to do it

As it’s not attached, it is viewed as an outbuilding, so exempt from b/regs unless it’s over 15sq metres and under 1 metre from boundary, or over 30 sq metres - in which case it might invoke b/regs.

Be very careful to consider damp arrangements, as it’s a single skin building, so you need to ensure integrity of damp course of floor, walls and junction of those two.
Thanks for that Robin - 15k is more than I expected - so a good reality check. Probably a measure of wishful thinking in there as well as being out of touch. That kind of cost might just be acceptable - it may be the cheapest form of 'extension' given the layout of the house.

It is under 1m from the boundary, and probably exceed the size limit so BRs required. Electrics are already in place (complete with separate consumer unit), but they are mounted on the inside of the existing wall so might need moving to whatever becomes the inner wall. Drat!

What would the regulations implications be If I only replaced the up-and-over door with a wall/window/pedestrian door? That would still make the space more useful.

Back