Bike maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone invented a contraption for supporting their bike on their workbench for maintenance - I don’t want to reinvent the the wheel (sorry, couldn’t resist!)

thanks

Has anyone invented a contraption for supporting their bike on their workbench for maintenance - I don’t want to reinvent the the wheel (sorry, couldn’t resist!)

thanks
Last time I wanted to work on a push bike, I hung it from the rafter ties on two lengths of rope. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

I use my ancient un-fancy workmate. Bike upside down, handlebars rest on one end of surface, saddle drops between the open jaws which then get tightened onto the seat post. Good enough for occasional use.

Baseboard & two uprights with vee shapes cut out to take the handlebars with the cycle inverted.

Or if a cost conscious .....
Two pieces of 2" square. Mount a V (another couple scraps of 2", sawn at 60 degs) on one
end of each piece. Clamp them to the bench and Bobs your aunt?

I use my ancient un-fancy workmate. Bike upside down, handlebars rest on one end of surface, saddle drops between the open jaws which then get tightened onto the seat post. Good enough for occasional use.
Upside down is not a good idea with hydraulic disc brakes.
I hang my bike from the rafters with a couple of old innertubes. Works well for me and I ride off-road three times a week and have to clean the bike frequently now that the rain has started.

You can often get he floor standing ones for less than £30 which are great. Not worth the bother to cobble one together unless your really tight for space?

I've seen bike stands advertised at Aldi periodically but you'd have to wait for them to come up again.

I replaced the rear sprocket not long ago.

I turned the bike downside up on the workbench and it was ok, perhaps not as stable as I would have liked.

Lidl does a floor stand for not a lot of money.

I have one of the sub-£30 bike stands - they are a godsend. Very easy to use, fold up when not needed, can use anywhere. Even outside for a hose-down, or oily jobs.

Unless you're really tight for space, they are worth having.

Back