Just joined and. Plus do with a little bit of advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mynewka

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for accepting my request to join.
I have recently retired having spent 40 years behind a desk .
I wanted to start a project that was completely different so took up woodworking having last done anything at school 40 odd years ago.
I start to design and build a pedal car for my granddaughter and although had a few issues along the way and 6 months later I am nearly finished.
I am however stuck on the way forward on the rear crank when I am trying to connect it to some bike wheels .
The crank is 10mm mild steel but the wheels In the Uk seem to all have 9mm axels . I need to be able to join the 2 and then make them fixed so that they will turn when the pedals go round. I need fabricated a 10mm to 9 mm reducer as can’t source one anywhere . And then need someone to weld the existing axel to the wheel bearing so it’s fixed .
Any advice on someone who could make the reducer and weld the wheel fixed in Essex or London would be greatly appreciated
Pics of my project attached
Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_4806.mov
    27 MB
  • IMG_4845.png
    IMG_4845.png
    677.6 KB · Views: 0
Wow it looks fantastic. Great result for a first project!

A 10mm tube with 0.5mm walls is going to be pretty difficult to make. I would be inclined to go straight to a local welder rather than look for a spacer. I’m pretty sure any competent welder would be able to get it concentric.

That is sensational! What an heirloom that is sure to become.
I'm in Essex/London borders and if i need anything metal made, I use Wealdforge based in North Weald. One of my son's friends is a welder so I will also ask him for advice.

Wow that looks better than anything you would find in a shop 😍 can't wait to see your next and future projects. Welcome to the asylum 🤪

That is sensational! What an heirloom that is sure to become.
I'm in Essex/London borders and if i need anything metal made, I use Wealdforge based in North Weald. One of my son's friends is a welder so I will also ask him for advice.
Thanks for the advice , I did call a few
blacksmiths but no one was interested
I will look them up
Regards
Dan

Back