Best lubrication for 'Scary Sharp'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":11ux0uqx said:
studders":11ux0uqx said:
condeesteso":11ux0uqx said:
I think it was Studders who pointed me to baby oil, thinned with some white spirit.

Guilty as charged Yer 'onour, though I have to confess to seeing it mentioned somewhere else, can't remember where.

American forums, I imagine - it's commonly mentioned.

BugBear
Possibly, though I rarely 'do' other forums (Fori?)

woodbloke":13kk7rz2 said:
...thinking here of the cleaning up process afterwards where the remnants of the honing fluid can get onto the hands. Could be wrong though :duno: ...enlightenment? - Rob

I've found it to be one of the easiest to wipe off, both tools and hands, oh and stone too. Not sure the White Spirit does the skin much good though, certainly dries mine out used on its own.

That's one advantage of Camellia oil - it does not contaminate tools, wood or your hands.
Also a little goes a long way.

Rod

Harbo":39du9kfp said:
That's one advantage of Camellia oil - it does not contaminate tools, wood or your hands.
Also a little goes a long way.

Rod
The problem with using neat Camilla Oil is that it's really too thick and gloopy on the 3M films, so ideally it needs to be cut back with something, white spirit maybe. I have tried it neat and it just doesn't work very well :( I've been looking at Liquid Paraffin (the mineral oil) which I assume is the same sort of stuff that's Baby Oil is based on, which might be another alternative...anyone tried it? - Rob

For honing I use some I bought from Axminster in a pump spray years ago.
It is quite thin and I believe is diluted with paraffin oil?
Not as thick as the stuff I bought from WH which I use on my planes etc using a wick applicator.

Rod

Rob - Liquid Paraffin is a laxative (no longer used as it's carcinogenic).
I think you mean Mineral Oil or Paraffin Oil? 

Rod

A couple of sharpening opportunity arose today and so I tried just using water, it seemed to do the job perfectly fine, I just ensured the plane irons were dried afterward and coated with some camellia oil.

I've tried the WH camellia oil for honing but found it too thick like Rob did. I've been using Honerite but it seems to need constant re-application. It's probably not an issue if you are just maintain an edge, but I was prepping a number of chisels and plan irons and I seemed to be going through it at a rate of knots.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I'm tempted to try the baby oil mix as I am just a little nervous that I'll be seeing rust tomorrow having used water today, but I guess waterstone users don't have any issues.

Best wishes,

RW

Harbo":3ft3kuck said:
Rob - Liquid Paraffin is a laxative (no longer used as it's carcinogenic).
I think you mean Mineral Oil or Paraffin Oil? 

Rod
Bit of confuzzlement here :? Rod I fancy...I thought Liquid Paraffin was a highly refined mineral oil? I don't mean the normal paraffin stuff that you buy by the gallon for heating the greenhouse in the winter (I use that already) but the thicker stuff sold in chemists...but probably not now as it's carcinogenic. Anyhow, if it's no longer available, then I'll give the baby oil a shot - Rob

woodbloke":3c81p75r said:
Anyhow, if it's no longer available..... - Rob
I bought some from my local chemist just before chrimbo? Not to use as a laxative I might add but because it is/was the main ingredient in chopping board oil, only a fraction of the price.

Edit to say it was Medical Grade Liq Para that I was recommended.

Jacob":3frf7wj7 said:
Has anybody tried Helliman's mayo cut with Ribena?
Its lovely Mr G but best eaten quick afor it curdles.Washed down with Guiness it does you good as they say but the topic wasn't laxitives.

Back