Detached garage modernisation/conversion advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the funds I would rebuild.
If not get new electrics and a raised floor
Yeah I'm probably going to knock it down and build a new one. But for now I need to use it while the house is renovated. I'll sort the electrics out and put a new floor in. But before that I've got to get the flamethrower out and hunt down all the tarantulas living in the thatched roof! 😂

It reminds me of ours before i did it up. Ours was vertical heavy panels so easy to extend rearwards. A fix for stopping water coming under the walls was wire brush the joint clean & blow out / vac up dirt. Dry out joint with hot air gun & apply polysuphide mastic sealant in a heavy bead along the inside. Thus far its kept the water out (ten years plus).
I agree with others that yours is probably too far gone to be worth keeping. Roof is probably going to be asbestos cement so will cost to get removed, Our double garage cost just under £500 for contractor to wrap & take away.
A new one you could make wider to give yourself room, budget for a insulated roof too.
Best thing i ever did was to insulate mine & re roof it, its now warm in winter & cool in summer.

It reminds me of ours before i did it up. Ours was vertical heavy panels so easy to extend rearwards. A fix for stopping water coming under the walls was wire brush the joint clean & blow out / vac up dirt. Dry out joint with hot air gun & apply polysuphide mastic sealant in a heavy bead along the inside. Thus far its kept the water out (ten years plus).
I agree with others that yours is probably too far gone to be worth keeping. Roof is probably going to be asbestos cement so will cost to get removed, Our double garage cost just under £500 for contractor to wrap & take away.
A new one you could make wider to give yourself room, budget for a insulated roof too.
Best thing i ever did was to insulate mine & re roof it, its now warm in winter & cool in summer.
So after discussions with 'im indoors the preferred option is to keep this for now and make it useable - insulation, etc. if possible and seal the roof. I guess if I do insulate and board out I can always re-use the material in a year or two on a new build and as you say I could extend it a little (over 'im indoors's dead body apparently! 😂).
What was the mastic you used?
And what did you re-roof with?
Thanks. 😊

I would build a new workshop useing concrete insulated blocks round the outside dig the foundations your self get a bricky in to put it up you build the wooden roof and clad it, then knock the old garage down inside you can have it pebble ashed on the out side when ever

Sealant i used was Arbokol 1000 Its a one part polysulphide, it cures slowly but sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.
The joint must be clean & dry at time of application, once its on it doesnt matter if it gets damp or wet.
Roof was replaced with insulated steel sheets, i got mine from Rollaclad in Swansea. Whole kit & its done a great job.

Back