Another drilling operation question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a proper metal lathe, you’d use an independent 4-jaw chuck and hold the piece between opposing jaws. Quite a bit of offset so you’d have to run slow - not ideal for aluminium.

Or, use a cross drill attachment as above. At a pinch, the piece might even fit in a toolholder.

In order of preference, it would go: Mill, pillar drill, handheld drill, metal lathe, then your method.

If the piece is moving, it’s not held properly, and if so it can fly out.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who has a lathe doesnt have a pillar drill, which is the obvious way of doing it. If it has to be done on a lathe then I would have though that a v block and faceplate as suggested by torx is a far better arragement.
The reason for not using the drill press was that I had it setup for another operation and didn't want to loose the configuration.

In my naivety I thought the lathe would be perfect for this operation, as it automatically centers the hole :)

SEcond for Phill and Limey! unless you have a clever toolbar mounted drilling machine, the tailstock V groove adapter works well, but remember to keep the pressure on, trust me I know!

IMG_8142.jpeg
Tailstock drill pad

John, That's the one I was talking about on mine there is like an inverted U over the V to lock down on the work.

John, That's the one I was talking about on mine there is like an inverted U over the V to lock down on the work.
That wouldn't do the job in hand. - The 'Inverted U' will have a screw in the centre which is the clamping mechanism and will be exactly in the position that the hole needs to be drilled.

I'm assuming that the round plate with 4/5 holes (centre + 4) is effectively the clamping mechanism in @John Hall 's case. This would leave the way free for the drill to gain access to the workpiece.

There are dozens of V-block drilling guides that woud be easier and safer, (possibly more accurate) than chucking up a rod in a chuck, not meant to handle such things.
A couple of dollars/pounds is well worth it.
IMO

There are dozens of V-block drilling guides that woud be easier and safer, (possibly more accurate) than chucking up a rod in a chuck, not meant to handle such things.
A couple of dollars/pounds is well worth it.
IMO
That was the point of the question.

If this was all I had available I'd turn a piece of hardwood to fit the toolpost, drill a guide hole in that at centre height then chuck the ali in normal fashion. With the spindle locked you could then use a hand held drill for a reasonably accurate hole

That was the point of the question.
appreciate this can be done on the drill press, ..but lets say you needed it done on the lathe, in my case, a wood lathe.
It can certainly be done on a wood lathe if necessary but the photos in the OP are of a metal lathe chuck and jaws.
On a wood lathe, I would make a set of accessory jaws from wood that would securely hold the dowel rod in the same manner as in the first photo. Turning at low RPM's, while slowly advancing the tailstock fitted with the proper bit would work just fine.
I'm not sure why this would be necessary but it can certainly be done safely.
There are much easier options available.

What's our next thought exercise?

...but the photos in the OP are of a metal lathe chuck and jaws.
Perhaps you need to look a little closer. The second image clearly shows that the chuck is an Axminster Evolution SK114 Woodturning Chuck. viz. enlarged attatched screen-grab.
Evolution SK114.png

I appreciate that it has what appears to be metal-working jaws mounted but it's certainly not a metal-working chuck.

Yes, it's a wood lathe. I'd love a metal lathe, but simply don't have the space.

Whenever I come across operations like this, my initial thought is always, what's an accurate way of doing it?

As explained earlier in the post, my drill press was setup for another operation. And this seemed like a very accurate way to drill the hole in the center. It was just the work holding that was the problem ... as is usually always the case 👍😁

Here is a link to the jaws if anyone is interested Axminster Woodturning Aluminium Step Jaws

Axminster tools used to sell metalworking chucks for use on wood lathes. I still have one that I often use in certain circumstances. You just have to be mindful of the jaws poking past the chuck body. o_O

Perhaps you need to look a little closer. The second image clearly shows that the chuck is an Axminster Evolution SK114 Woodturning Chuck. viz. enlarged attatched screen-grab.
View attachment 163068
I appreciate that it has what appears to be metal-working jaws mounted but it's certainly not a metal-working chuck.
Well I suppose I'm not used to these types of jaws being used in a woodturning setting.
Form the Axminster site.
"These stepped jaws are similar in design to engineer’s chuck jaws."
Sorry for the incorrect identification.
Still, not the proper jaws to hold a dowel/rod in the orientation the OP is interested in.

Back