Which type of bearing to use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if a TV mount could be adapted to do the job? This one on sale is $20Cad and as long as it can be loosened enough to move freely and a holder made for the tool shaft I think it would work. I'm not trying to get the OP to change course but it might get the creative juices flowing for someone else thinking about making one.

View attachment 154745

Pete
Ah! my mind was working along the same lines :) I did look at one I have at home , but I found i would need to dismantle two of them to get all the parts needed. And, at full extension - on the particular one I have-, there is quite a bit of play

Ah! my mind was working along the same lines :) I did look at one I have at home , but I found i would need to dismantle two of them to get all the parts needed. And, at full extension - on the particular one I have-, there is quite a bit of play
The one we have has over a foot of travel from closed up to stretched so I think it would be plenty for most anything I would play with. Since it would be used with the tool rest I don't know if a little droop would be an issue. Might have to try someday and see.

Pete

Some TV supports are designed for really big/heavy screens, so may well be sufficiently heavy duty.

Thought I'd post a picture of the finished job. Very pleased with it. Moves easily, and no detectable play.
20230325_180107.jpg

20230318_163217.jpg

Just to add, ordinary bolts or threaded rod isn’t the best solution. I’d probably use socket shoulder screws.

I would also drill, then ream any holes to size.

IMG-8020.jpg

Back