Amazing what you see down country lanes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
IMG0091A.jpg

There should be a bollard at the end of the lane she entered (the Mining Trail, where a couple of centuries ago the wagons were hauled) but it's rotted off. She went a couple of hundred yards along then came to the bollard at the other end and decided rather than reverse she'd attempt a three point turn.
The hedges are overgrown atm she went into the lane through a four or five foot gap in the undergrowth - most people would have stopped there, realising vehicles hadn't been through for a long time. A Range Rover dragged it around.

When I was learning to drive, my dad took me down a little cobbled lane near the local harbour, walled on both sides and had me "three point" turn in it. There was barely enough space and it took me near 20 points to achieve the turn.
I took a lot of confidence away from the experience and have turned my cars in tight circumstances many times over the years.

How do people get themselves in to situations like that without stopping and thinking " this won't work". Do they panic and therefore get it wrong?

I went down a very narrow track with a 18ft trailer behind me and couldn't get out the other end.

That was a fun day.

When I was learning to drive, my dad took me down a little cobbled lane near the local harbour, walled on both sides and had me "three point" turn in it. There was barely enough space and it took me near 20 points to achieve the turn.
I took a lot of confidence away from the experience and have turned my cars in tight circumstances many times over the years.
I had a woman come into work one night and ask if I could move her car as it was parked a bit tight and she wasn't confident to move it. After about a seventeen point turn I shifted it. It was a week old Overfinch. Brown trousers.

My Jaguar f-type (low slung 2 seater) sat nav tried to take me down here in Cornwall last year…
I am sure that the manufacturer just plugged in one of their Land Rover systems!
Needless to say I went a different way…

Attachments

• IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
I went down a very narrow track with a 18ft trailer behind me and couldn't get out the other end.

That was a fun day.
However, if you can get out the other end a big trailer is no problem at all. I once took an 11 metre (what's that, 36 feet?) glider trailer through Devon lanes, and everyone backed up to a passing place for me. I might have destroyed a hedge or two, but otherwise it was problem free :)

I think it should be an option to delete Cornwall from your satnav.
A good friend's father, at an advanced age, destroyed much of Mevagissey with a caravan in tow. Amazingly, he wasn't given a medal. Actually I have no idea if he was charged with anything. Must remember to ask.

@John Brown

Err, a bit off topic, but I was intrigued by your 'signature'. Is it from this Desmond Tutu quote? I guess so.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.

@John Brown

Err, a bit off topic, but I was intrigued by your 'signature'. Is it from this Desmond Tutu quote? I guess so.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.

Well it's a mashup of the teach a man to fish/ it takes a village to raise a child/a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.
Now I shall have to change it again.

Latest posts

Back