Absolutely diabolical

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I just had a phone call from a dear friend 200 miles away. She works for Tesco and yesterday she broke her index finger. I was shocked when she told me that Tesco tore her off a strip for having to take a few days off, she is in a lot of pain and they expect her to work. Last year she had to take a week off sick and again they laid into her. Not once did they ask if she was okay, no concern at all for her well being.

I believe it is the same with all the big retailers. Staff get promoted and the power goes to their heads, they become a different person, they like to weild the whip and exercise their authority. Its so sad people become monsters and the staffs worst nightmare. I feel for people who work in the retail trade for it is probably the only sort of work they know.

Work was thin on the ground one winter for me and I worked for B and Q, they were just the same. If a manager talked to me like something the dog left on the pavement I would lay into him with the same. There is just no need for it. Being polite cost nothing.

Sorry to hear about your friend Geoff, but please dont think all retail managers are monsters, my wife worked as manager for a very large retail company for a number of years and when she left due to ill health the staff past and present all turned up at the store to celebrate her retirement. Sure there are some bad un's out there but there are also lots of good un's as well :) .

I guess competition in the grocery supermarkets is intense so managers are constantly under pressure to do more for less. It doesn't excuse them for not caring about their staff though.

Maybe remind your friend when she goes back to work to use other than her index finger to poke her manager in the eye!
Regards Keith

I used to be a manager at tesco , one of the other managers was run over and had a broken arm and leg, when he phoned in sick he was told to get a wheel chair and turn up or be sacked. A few months later he asked to have a Sunday off to visit his dying mother. They said if he took the day off he would be a trolley boy on the Monday. He took the day off and after a few days collecting trolleys he hung himself.

I prefer to shop at Aldi as the staff always seem energised and cheerful. At Tesco, many of the workers have a 'please shoot me' look to them.

my wife works for Morrisons and its just the same there, if you die they want to know why you were late arriving, i wish she could leave but she loves the job..

I try so many times to stop in town to pick up the odd pasty or drink- theres just no where to park without walking along way or paying a fee.Pork and apple pasties from the bakers in axminster use to be my favourite- it's just not worth the hassle of finding a place to park anymore

Sent from my GT-I9300

Back