A Woodturning get together in Wales?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where in Wales should we hold a get together?

• North Wales (north of a line from Dolgellau to Welshpool)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • South East (south of Brecon, east of Bridgend)

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • South West (south of Brecon, west of Bridgend)

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Mid-Wales (the remainder i.e. between Dolgellau/Welshpool and Brecon)

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just a thought - see what others think.

I have been to two previous bashes/meets with UKWorkshop members, both in England and both fairly well attended. There was a lot going on at each with people bringing small projects to show off or tools to demonstrate, at one we even had Steve Maskery give us a Sketchup demonstration on a big screen. I think the social interaction for many must surely be as important as the woodwork, I know it is for me. It's just nice to be able to put faces to all the names we seem to know so well, especially given that most of us work in relative isolation from other woodworkers.

Anyway, given that we as woodturners in Wales seem to be few and far between and struggling to get this thing off the ground, how about opening up the invite to all members of the forum for a general woodworking bash in Wales. With more members involved there should be more opportunity to find a suitable venue or venues. There could still be a turning demo arranged and who knows we may even get some converts :)

It would probably be necessary to open a new topic on the 'General Woodworking' section but maybe one of the moderators could be persuaded to move this topic and perhaps change the title.

If you think this is a rubbish idea that's okay, it's just an idea I had in the middle of the night.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":nk8qmgsg said:
I think the social interaction for many must surely be as important as the woodwork, I know it is for me. It's just nice to be able to put faces to all the names we seem to know so well, especially given that most of us work in relative isolation from other woodworkers.
I agree, Brian.

Anyway, given that we as woodturners in Wales seem to be few and far between and struggling to get this thing off the ground, how about opening up the invite to all members of the forum for a general woodworking bash in Wales. With more members involved there should be more opportunity to find a suitable venue or venues. There could still be a turning demo arranged and who knows we may even get some converts :)
We already have Paul Hannaby interested; I have no problem with forum members from England coming along, it is just the distances involved that makes it difficult.

It would probably be necessary to open a new topic on the 'General Woodworking' section but maybe one of the moderators could be persuaded to move this topic and perhaps change the title.
I think the thread is OK where it is. After all, we are looking for a woodturning get together.

If you think this is a rubbish idea that's okay, it's just an idea I had in the middle of the night.
Never a rubbish idea to say what you think might work.

after A Visit To see my Local Supplier of timber I came up with some info that you guys may be interested in
ISCA Woodcrafts Sat 18Th May 2013
10am-4pm
situated in the 17th century
stable block, Tredegar House Newport
Now a national trust property

DEMONSTRATIONS OF
*Wood Turning (Guest Turners Will be There But Not verified Whom Yet)
*Carving (Not xmas turkeys Etc.)
*Stick Making (Not To beat The Wife With)
*Fretsaw Work
*Chainsaw Carving
*Furniture Making
*Knives
*Pole lathe Work
* Sales Of Isca Woodcrafts native and Exotic woods
* General Store
the craft units Tredegar House
Newport NP10 8TW
This Is one Suggestion Id Like To Put Forward for a get together spent Time with Him Today There is parking there but its pay And display refreshments are available so comments Please The owner is a nice Guy and is very knowledgeable being a turner and A woodworker he knows his onions
regards
Bill

Hi fellas, apologies for not getting back into this thread for a while, working opposite shifts to my wife & having a 5 & 6 year old rampaging around the house leaves me little time for anything else!.
Anyway, I would gladly volunteer my very small shed for the occasion however I'm lucky to get my lathe in it!. The day at Tredegar house sounds fantastic, I will be trying to get there even if our meet doesn't!.
With regards to venues, I'm pretty happy to venture as far as Brecon, middle for diddle really. Just one thing on that, I'd be more than happy to car share, either driving or passenger ing!.

EnErY":1p9564em said:
after A Visit To see my Local Supplier of timber I came up with some info that you guys may be interested in
ISCA Woodcrafts Sat 18Th May 2013
10am-4pm
situated in the 17th century
stable block, Tredegar House Newport
Now a national trust property

DEMONSTRATIONS OF
*Wood Turning (Guest Turners Will be There But Not verified Whom Yet)
*Carving (Not xmas turkeys Etc.)
*Stick Making (Not To beat The Wife With)
*Fretsaw Work
*Chainsaw Carving
*Furniture Making
*Knives
*Pole lathe Work
* Sales Of Isca Woodcrafts native and Exotic woods
* General Store
the craft units Tredegar House
Newport NP10 8TW
This Is one Suggestion Id Like To Put Forward for a get together spent Time with Him Today There is parking there but its pay And display refreshments are available so comments Please The owner is a nice Guy and is very knowledgeable being a turner and A woodworker he knows his onions
regards
Bill

Thanks to the efforts of EnErY we now have a meeting set up for south Wales turners. This will be at the venue as quoted by EnErY above. We are advised to be there for 9.00 am to get a parking space, so it will be an early start for many (I will need to be on the road for 6.00am). We will sort out refreshments once we know numbers. EnErY advises that he can meet people at Merthyr to share transport for anyone coming from Brecon direction.

Please respond to this post to confirm your attendance.

Looks like a really interesting day out, unfortunately I can't make that date due to previous commitments :-( Never mind - I hope everyone who goes has a great time.

I think I will be going but I have got exams around that time too so I may have to give it a miss :(

Just looked @ my rota plan, I'm meant to be working a day shift then however there are always means to an end so hopefully, depending if I catch my manager in a good mood, I will see you all there!. Excellent result Bill, Im sure I speak for everybody when I say thanks for going that extra mile!.

hmm i thought i replied on my Android....obviously it got lost in the ether somewhere!! Mrs Spinks and I shall do our very best to be there on the above mentioned date for a meet up! Be nice to see Tredegar house and have a look round the workshops! Question....How will i know you lot lol

spinks":3k9go3an said:
hmm i thought i replied on my Android....obviously it got lost in the ether somewhere!! Mrs Spinks and I shall do our very best to be there on the above mentioned date for a meet up! Be nice to see Tredegar house and have a look round the workshops! Question....How will i know you lot lol
Good question turners normally got bandages and plasters on where they butchered their bodies I got one on my hand and also my name is on my car along with my number plate ill be parked along the front left corner I reserved 5 spaces for us .
Bill

I was planning to go to the ISCA show (Paul, the guy that runs it was a technician at the University of Glamorgan many moons ago - a great guy!) and it would have been good to meet up with fellow UKWorkshoppers, but unfortunately the WJEC have just offered me a bit of marking work - GCSE Design and Technology - and the meeting is on the 18th GRRR!!!

Numbers for the get together at Isca Woodcrafts on 18th May,so far, are:-

EnErY
henton49er
=Adam= (possibly)
VikingAl (possibly)
nev (probably)
spinks (plus Mrs spinks)
Paul Hannaby (working on the AWGB stand)

Are there any other takers (from Wales, England or elsewhere) ?????

Hi chaps, I shall be bringing along the guy that I mentioned when I 1st wrote on this thread. It's a bit loose I know & I will let you know shortly but for the time being its a definitely maybe!.

VikingAl":3e66ac7e said:
Hi chaps, I shall be bringing along the guy that I mentioned when I 1st wrote on this thread. It's a bit loose I know & I will let you know shortly but for the time being its a definitely maybe!.

OK, that's definitely no problem, possibly. :wink: :wink:

Latest posts

Back