A Woodturning get together in Wales?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where in Wales should we hold a get together?

• North Wales (north of a line from Dolgellau to Welshpool)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • South East (south of Brecon, east of Bridgend)

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • South West (south of Brecon, west of Bridgend)

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Mid-Wales (the remainder i.e. between Dolgellau/Welshpool and Brecon)

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all woodturners on the forum,

Following the success of the recent forum get together in the Midlands, would there be interest among forum members for a get together in Wales (we seem to have quite a contingent on the forum from Wales and the neighbouring counties of England)?

Your views would be appreciated to confirm the level of interest and it would help if you completed the poll to gauge the right part of the country to hold the event (bear in mind that somewhere in the Builth Wells/Brecon area would keep travel down to under 2 hours for most of us :wink: :wink: ). You can select two choices of area to reflect how far you are prepared to travel.

It would be hoped that the day could be held at the workshop of (or under the guidance of) a professional turner so there would undoubtedly be a charge for the event. The level of the charge would depend upon numbers, location, catering etc etc. I am really just trying to gauge strength of interest at the moment. I am happy to try and coordinate if there is sufficient support. Any suggestions as to locations of workshops of sufficient size to take (say) 15 visitors would be welcome, as would any other input. :D :D

phil.p":30tnuecx said:
:) After the rugby, I voted north, just to disadvantage as many Welsh people as possible. :)
Is That Why The opposition were given sat navs to find Their way out of Their own half of the field :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

EnErY":3s52ubeg said:
phil.p":3s52ubeg said:
:) After the rugby, I voted north, just to disadvantage as many Welsh people as possible. :)
Is That Why The opposition were given sat navs to find Their way out of Their own half of the field :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Typical SatNavs; just led them down blind alleys and into cul-de-sacs. :lol: :lol:

Well, the poll has closed with a small turnout but a clear preference to meet in the south of Wales (not surprising given the population distribution, I suppose).

Names I have so far are:-

nev
EnErY
VikingAl
Spinks
tekno.mage
henton49er

Somehow I doubt that phil.p would travel up from Redruth for a day of being slagged off about the rugby!!

Are there any more takers for a day's gathering, somewhere in south Wales?

Mike
Is it ok if I get a guy That's considering to have A go at Turning in the near future to come along with me Plz?
regards
Bill

Hi fellas, I've got a good friend that does a lot of wood orientated crafts such as making custom handles for knives of various sizes etc. Hes had a couple of go's on my lathe but I'm far from an expert, would it be possible for me to bring him along?, he's keen to get into it & just as eager as myself to meet up with like minded folk & it may help in bumping up our numbers if that helps?. If that's allowed then add another!.

VikingAl":2sfojx28 said:
Hi fellas, I've got a good friend that does a lot of wood orientated crafts such as making custom handles for knives of various sizes etc. Hes had a couple of go's on my lathe but I'm far from an expert, would it be possible for me to bring him along?, he's keen to get into it & just as eager as myself to meet up with like minded folk & it may help in bumping up our numbers if that helps?. If that's allowed then add another!.

No problem as far as I am concerned. That takes us up to a possible 9 people if we can get everyone together.

Looking at the Register of RPT members in Wales, of the six listed, two are in north Wales, three are in mid-Wales and only one is in S Wales (at Milford Haven, a bit out on a limb for travel). The one in mid-Wales furthest south is at Erwood between Builth Wells and Brecon. Is that too far north for those from the south?

Latest posts

Back