A new table saw please sir?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TX,
The machine that is advertised at the lower price they are no longer doing-I was told they were un-happy with some aspects of the machine (although they didn't say what). The 806 is a higher specced machine (with a higher price :roll: ) but I have to say it is worth it!
regards
Philly :D

Sounds like a great machine for the price!
Does it have a sliding table (or capacity for one) or will you be using Norm's "panel cutting jig"?
Is it possible to have the guards in place when using the dado head cutters?

Aragorn,
The sliding table is available as an option-it just bolts on.
As to guarding-if you remove the riving knife to use the dado then there is no guard-an auxilary one will be required.
dado1.jpg

dado2.jpg

regards

Philly,

Thanks for the pictures, yet another question, does the insert just sit in the hole or is it held down?

Philly... how does it look from a maintainence point of view..?? can the trunions be accessed easily for cleaning / re-greasing etc..? Is the dust collection as effective as these things are cracked up to be...???

Mike,
Spent a fair bit of time with the saw over the last few days :roll: . There is a dust cover on the right hand side that lifts off to reveal the innards. You can easily reach inside for a little dusting ( and to pick up that nut/washer/screw/pencil that you dropped through the hole whilst changing the blade :lol: ) The dust collection is surprisingly good- there is a 100mm outlet on the bottom of the cabinet. Inside a slanted tray guides the sawdust toward the outlet. There is no saw guard extraction (I always find those fiddly) but I am not complaining.
Now I have set things up I have been making various cuts-crosscuts with the mitre gauge come out really nicely and the saw leaves end grain almost polished, leaving a simple job for my block plane!
Every feature of the saw is big, simple and well engineered-I am really pleased as that was just what I as after.
I have spent ages moving the workshop around-think I'm happy now. Just need to sort out a mobile base and I will be ready to get on with my next project.
regards

Thanks TX,
Mine turned up yesterday, and that was one of the things that caught my eye. That would keep the dado guarded, thereby satisfying the Gods of H+S.... :D
cheers

Philly, with your lenght of rails you may have a problem with the boom on the guard.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel,
According to the bumph it will extend 2 meters-should be ok, but only time will tell. Need to get a look at it in the flesh.
No comments on the dado subject Mate? :lol: :roll:
be good

2 Metres? That's the point, it just isn't solid enough to hang out any further than a metre from the T section. Lets find a picture:

056002.jpg

Not the one that fully illustrates my point. But even a close look at the perpex guard will indicate that it is resting on the plywood sheet, which is apparently being cut, rather than sitting a few mil above it.
Here's another picture from Penn State Industries, the original sellers of the thing:

TSGUARD-T.jpg

The T and the tubes that make up the boom are of a similar gauge to a sheet of tin. This and the fact that the inner tube is not a snug enough fit means that any further than a 1 metre extension the whole thing starts to droop. Although sticky pads are supplied to try and take up any slop they don't really help. There was an article / review on the guard somewhere. I'll try and dig it out.

Rgds

Noel

I have been interested in this guard for some time - it's about time I started using one :oops:
My problem is I need something ceiling mounted.
Does anyone know if this Axminster guard can do this? Or of others that can?

Yes Aragorn, it can be ceiling mounted. There's even an extra tube to facilitate this. Ceiling mounting would certainly negate the shortcomings mentioned above. Other than that the guard box, the suspension mechanism and the dust collection is first class. I'll see if I can fire a copy of the manual, sorry instruction sheet, over to you.

Rgds

Noel

Philly, I've just realised that you've already got the overhead guard.....look forward to your comments.

"No comments on the dado subject Mate?"
What can I say? For me a stacked dado head is the business. Nice flat bottomed housings (trenches, Tony...) light years quicker than setting up a router (but, of course, a router is sometimes more suitable), any lenght of timber is not a problem either with the rip fence or the mitre gauge. Using shims and various thickness of chipper any width of dado can be achieved. One point, when the full stack is mounted there is no room for the arbor flange washer on the shaft. I'm reasonably happy with the absence of the washer due to the solidity of the blades and the chippers. Bear in mind that a dado blade is maybe twice the thickness of a regular rip blade so the extra stability afforded by the washer is not needed.
As mentioned, if respect and good working practice is employed I really don't see a problem with dado blades.

Rgds

Noel

Noely,
Think I could do with a couple of sky hooks-I'll just send the apprentice out to get them..... :lol:

Latest posts

Back