Table Saw Choices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
First of alI apologies for yet another table saw dilemma. I am in the middle of researching for a new table saw, just sold my Dewalt as the noise was just unbearable. I am limited for space in my garage so the following are all I can find, any thoughts about the quality of them would be great. I did see a Laguna F1 Fusion which looks similar size but I suspect the quality will be much much better but unfortunately not available in the uk.

I have searched through quite a few posts but have narrowed it down to the following,

Axminster Workshop AW254TS with leg stand (wheels) - £1159 including delivery
1690976875629.png

LumberJack TS1800 - £1049 inc delivery

1690977001517.png

Axminster out of stock, Lumberjack has a bigger cutting capacity, but both have riving knifes taller than the blade, this may not be a consideration for you, for £300.00 more: Axminster Professional AP254SB Table Saw

Have you thought of a work bench and plunge rail saw instead?

Axminster out of stock, Lumberjack has a bigger cutting capacity, but both have riving knifes taller than the blade, this may not be a consideration for you, for £300.00 more: Axminster Professional AP254SB Table Saw

Have you thought of a work bench and plunge rail saw instead?
I already have a workbench with a track saw but I find the table saw better for cutting down say 4 x 2 and also smaller pieces.
Also the Axminster is 16amp and I dont want even more expense added, good suggestion though.

All a bit of a fallacy on the need for separate supplies for a 16amp machine, most will work off a 32amp ring main without a problem, it just depends what you have on at the same time, and the rating (A, AC, D etc) of the MCB or even the RCD/RCBO supplying the circuit, I used to run mine off a 16amp radial with lots of other things, just need to start each in sequence.

If its only cross cuts you are doing maybe a sliding mitre saw may be the way to go, or if cutting length ways a Bandsaw, seems I use both of those machines more than the table saw now days.

Not trying to be a SA these are just random thoughts.

Also take a look at the offerings from iTECH. I had the LumberJack but returned it due to issues, and purchased the 01332 from iTECH. Its a great saw.
Now that looks interesting, does anything stand out that I need to know? I know the Lumberjack had a smaller arbour.

Now that looks interesting, does anything stand out that I need to know? I know the Lumberjack had a smaller arbour.
Same machine as the SIP. Cast Iron table extensions. I went for the wheel kit to move it around. No issues so far, and it's coped with everything I've thrown at it. There's a few videos on YouTube (SIP/ iTECH).

Same machine as the SIP. Cast Iron table extensions. I went for the wheel kit to move it around. No issues so far, and it's coped with everything I've thrown at it. There's a few videos on YouTube (SIP/ iTECH).
I have just seen its 16 amp, I know nothing about electrics apart from it scares me lol. I have seen these but not sure how safe they are.

1691001937830.png

I have just seen its 16 amp, I know nothing about electrics apart from it scares me lol. I have seen these but not sure how safe they are.

View attachment 163866
I've a 16amp supply so it's not an issue. I had an axminster 10" saw a few years ago that was 16amp (before I upgraded the electrics) and ran it off a 13amp supply using the connector above. Never missed a beat.

I'm currently in the same boat, looking to upgrade from a dewalt contractor tablw saw.

I've ruled out the lumberjack due to the odd arbor size.

Narrowed it down to either Axminster AP254SB, iTech or Charnwood. I'm leaning towards the Axminster one at the moment, partly due to accessories available.

You cannot run a saw that needs 16A off a domestic plug. The arrangement shown of a 16A socket wired to a domestic plug will not work. It will blow most likely the 13A fuse in the plug. You need a sparky to add a dedicated 16A plug in your workshop.

Fitting a 16A socket is not one of the tasks for DIY.

I have considered second hand, delivery is always an issue for me though, small car plus being weak haha.
I’m really struggling to find something, had a look at itech 01332 but it’s just too wide for my workshop, looked at the ts10 and not sure about the sliding table and blade tilts towards the fence, also no reviews at all.

Last edited:
You cannot run a saw that needs 16A off a domestic plug. The arrangement shown of a 16A socket wired to a domestic plug will not work. It will blow most likely the 13A fuse in the plug. You need a sparky to add a dedicated 16A plug in your workshop.

Fitting a 16A socket is not one of the tasks for DIY.
No that's not right, I'm afraid. Although a dedicated 16A is nice, it's not essential. There is a brief surge when the motor starts and the continuous current is lower than your domestic kettle.

The fuse, although it looks like a cartridge fuse is just a bit of wire in a ceramic tube and has the same characteristics as a rewireable fuse which means it can take 1.5 times it's rated current for more than 4 hours.

A good, indentured electrician will tell you the same.

I'm currently in the same boat, looking to upgrade from a dewalt contractor tablw saw.

I've ruled out the lumberjack due to the odd arbor size.

Narrowed it down to either Axminster AP254SB, iTech or Charnwood. I'm leaning towards the Axminster one at the moment, partly due to accessories available.
I bought the craft Axminster AP254TS table and have not regretted it yet. It was set up at the factory and easy to assemble. I would suggest the optional base as its more solid, offers storage underneath and is easier to keep clean.

I’m really struggling to find something, had a look at itech 01332 bug it’s just too wide for my workshop, looked at the ts10 and not sure about the sliding table and blade tilts towards the fence, also no reviews at all.
I can't make up my mind about sliding tables, not sure I'd use it enough to make it worth while which is why I liked the axminster one where I could add it at a later date if I wanted.

What's the max width you can fit?

I bought the craft Axminster AP254TS table and have not regretted it yet. It was set up at the factory and easy to assemble. I would suggest the optional base as its more solid, offers storage underneath and is easier to keep clean.
Would this be the equivelant: Axminster Workshop AW254TS 254mm Table Saw - 230V

That is one I've considered, however it's not in stock currently.

Back