Axminster Table Saw Flatness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I purchased a Axminster AW254TS (bench) table saw. While I am quite happy with it compared to my old Dewalt, much quieter and I like the cast iron top. I am not sure if I am being too fussy when it comes to the actual cast top. When it arrived it had a couple of small chips out of it about 20mm in from the edges, I have also checked the flatness and it would appear to have a dip from in across the middle, upon checking with my feeler gauge it measures 0.50mm ,is this something to worry about or am I just being too picky? It's my first half decent table saw and the max size I could fit in my garage workshop and it was quite an expensive purchase to me.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
Contact Axminster and tell them your findings, See what they say , New should be new not damaged and inpurfect , If you can live with it see if they will offer a refund of some sort. Or a replacement bed.

Yeah have a chat to Axminster, they generally are pretty good. But they may also tell you that your finding are within their acceptable tolerances.

Axminster dont want bad press or unhappy customers so I guess they'll put things right but it's still a hassle and just reinforces my disdain for all this far eastern machinery we're bombarded with.
I often visit a large auctioneers in Devon and the amount of Axminster returns they deal with is quite impressive
I'm fussy, and realise it's the way now but it's very rare I'm happy with any new tool / machinery purchase from the likes of Axminster, Charnwood and all the others.
Sorry... ranting ))

Thanks everyone, they sent a replacement top out but it was worse than the original. In the end I have told them I will just keep the original and repair it, they will also give me some cash back so im happy with that.

Anyway with the chip on the cast top, what would you use to repair it, something like either of these two?

Thanks

Mark

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weld-8297-...locphy=1006458&hvtargid=pla-486132852917&th=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glue-Lines...t=&hvlocphy=1006458&hvtargid=pla-379191654364

Thanks everyone, they sent a replacement top out but it was worse than the original. In the end I have told them I will just keep the original and repair it, they will also give me some cash back so im happy with that.

Anyway with the chip on the cast top, what would you use to repair it, something like either of these two?

Thanks

Mark

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weld-8297-...locphy=1006458&hvtargid=pla-486132852917&th=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glue-Lines...t=&hvlocphy=1006458&hvtargid=pla-379191654364
does the chip affect the use in any way?

Not really and it's probably not worth worrying about but I have never owned a cast top table saw and want to keep on top of things if I have to.

Not really and it's probably not worth worrying about but I have never owned a cast top table saw and want to keep on top of things if I have to.
I'd be tempted to leave it alone, just wax the table which might slightly fill in the chip but it doesn't sound neccesary to repair it.

If you do use something to repair the chip then presumably you will then need to rub down the compound you use to fill it

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the tool suppliers don't have a "spare table" knocking about,
which got replaced, and may be an obstacle, possibly hence a chip?
as I can't see them being happy if that came from the container that way.

I'd try asking for another, or just show up in person with a socket set and straight edge.
Not before getting the go-ahead via well worded e-mail though!

Better luck this time round, as it's not uncommon for this sort'a faffery, if you take a look on youtube.
Tom

Hello Mark
Just seen your post about the AXMINSTER WORKSHOP AW254TS Table saw, As I am looking to purchase one (when they are back in stock) and was wondering about the power supply required to run it, will a normal 230V 13A household plug be ok?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards
Dave

Hello Mark
Just seen your post about the AXMINSTER WORKSHOP AW254TS Table saw, As I am looking to purchase one (when they are back in stock) and was wondering about the power supply required to run it, will a normal 230V 13A household plug be ok?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards
Dave
I have one, a normal uk 13a plug works and is provided with the saw.

Back