A new table saw please sir?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks Chris!
I have a HTC base and use it for my jointer-it's not the best in the world, pretty sloppy to be fair (although is it quite usable). I really like the look of the Delta base for Unisaw's with 52 inch rails-I have read some good reviews of these. But getting one sent over is the hassle-any "friendly" US stores that anyone has experience with? Would also like to get the Delta tenoning jig too. :roll:
It just so happens that an Arc welder resides in the darker reaches of the garage, so maybe its time to get the angle grinder out. :lol:
By the way, the sparky made his excuses and it will now be Thursday before power is installed. :evil: Grrrrrrrr......
Have moved the saw around again and now have just over a meters space right of the blade before the dreaded wall is hit. I think a mobile base is really going to be needed for the odd sheet cutting sessions.....
best regards,
A Tired Philly :D

Philly.. was I seeing things, or is it a right tilt blade....??? How's the fit and finish of the castings...???

certainly seems to be a tasty lookin beastie...

<bettin the box gets played with longer than the saw...

:p

Mike,
No, you got it-right tilt!
The quality of the castings is superb. The machine is Heavily constructed and the finish is of a high standard. I have compared mine to photo's of the Unisaw and it is one and the same-the castings are identical.
A full review to follow but it is looking good! :D
Philly :D

Philly,

Looking at your pictures the saw does not appear to have an insert around the blade? So you cannot made a zero clearance insert or use the dreaded dado head is that correct or are my glasses out of spec? :shock:

Dave, I hope the gloaty one answers your post 'cause the so and so ignored my similar post a day or two ago. Maybe he's OD'ed on the iron....

Rgds

Noel, off in a hump......

Philly, Mobile bases - I think this has got to be your number 1 priority, if only to maximise the capability of the saw, along with a RH extension table. The position of the router cabinet is a total non-runner in my opinion. The first problem that comes to mind is that you have a set up on the router that you dare not disturb and you need to rip a half sheet of ply or whatever, well kind of compromises matters?
So make an extension table with some faced ply and a couple of steel box section legs and a couple of adjustable feet. The front and back rails will help support the table.
If you're willing to spend at least £150 a Delta mobile base is the best option. Like this one:

IMG_0001Mobilebase.jpg

Single lever to raise and so easy to move about. Like you I've an HTC base on the jointer and it's totally unsatisfactory, no rigidigy and the two alu levers are not easy to operate. Total waste of 50 quid. As Chris mentioned make a base for the saw yourself, as I will be doing to replace the jointer base. This way you can tailer it to the saw.
Hope all goes well with the sparky and eventual operation of the saw and if you need info on the extension table just shout.

Rgds

Noel

Philly,
Less posting, more standing in the workshop, hands clenched,
bottom lip up over the top lip, big smile( a la Les dawson) head tilted,
main lights off, and two spotlights strategically shimmering down fom
an obtuse angle so that their little rays..........................dance upon
the glinting cast surface....................................................like......
........nymph's playing in the morning mist of the forest...................
..................................................................................................
....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :cry:

TX

What the! Tx, you spying on me..... :twisted:
Apologies Noely, wasn't ignoring fellow Cast Iron Brother.....
Yes there is a table insert, as Eagle Eyed Chris did indeed spot. It is a lovely fit, having levelling screws at each corner. And the saw is of course Dado Friendly........ (been trying not to mention the "D" word... :lol: )
Where did you get your Delta base-with the saw?
The router table is on wheels so I can, so I can move it off to the side easily. Time will tell though.....
waiting for the Sparky....

Yes, mobile base came with the saw.

Rgds

Noel

Apologies All,
The Sparky will be here Friday (he tells me.......) to finish wiring in my saw. Obviously I will then be able to give it a work-out and will then report in.
Am not board of just looking at it, though. (Nearly though-wanna make some noise...... :roll: )
A kinda patient Philly :D

YES!
Sparky has wired in the saw-switch it on and WOW! Very quiet when running. Very! Run a piece of 2 inch pine through it and the cut was as smooth as glass! :shock: You read about US woodies gluing up boards straight from the tablesaw-I thought that was BS, but now I have seen it I believe. (although my hand planes have nothing to fear :lol: )
Will spend the weekend playing and tweaking-full report (you guessed it) to follow!
regards

Howdy Folks! The review, at last....
Well, finally I have been able to spend some "Quality Time" with my new Xcaliber 10 inch table saw. For those of you new to this thread this is a "Delta Unisaw" clone, a typical American style cast iron table saw.
First impressions- It was delivered in a crate, well packed and in good condition. Upon breaking down the crate and cleaning off the anti-rust gloop from the tables I was left with the feeling that I had made a good choice of saw. The cabinet is made of 3mm steel, nicely welded and sprayed light grey. The castings were of a high standard, machined flat with a nice polish to them.
There are two cast iron table extensions which have to be bolted to the main table. Then the fence rails are bolted on, front and rear. These are long enough to allow a 52 inch wide rip- this is pretty wide and takes up a LOT of workshop. I wasn't anticipating such large rails, but can't bring myself to cutting them shorter (an easy job is required).
The fence is a "Biesemeyer" (excuse my spelling!) type, which locks with a single cam lever at the front. The fence moves smoothly and locks securely. There is a scale along the front rail with crosshairs on the fence. The system works really well and I look forward to getting stuck into some projects!
The motor on the saw is single phase, 3 horsepower. This required a separate circuit to be run. In use the saw is very, very quiet. I was surprised at how quiet-late night sawing might now be on the table! (no pun intended.... :lol: ) There is a huge amount of grunt there, and frankly, I'm a little scared. Nothing wrong with a little healthy respect though, right!
The mitre gauge is a nice hefty piece-cast iron head with a steel runner. It has adjustable stops for 45, 90 and -45 degrees-handy. It slides smoothly in the runners, though there is a tiny bit of play. This doesn't affect the cut though, as all pieces I cross cut came out smooth.
Blade rise and tilt is handled (doh!) by two large alloy handles, each of which has a locking screw in the centre. The action is super smooth and rapid too!
Overall, I am impressed with this saw-it is an industrial machine and built to very high standards. Fit and finish is superb, the machine performs as well as could possibly be expected and is built to last a lifetime. Every function has easy adjustability to ensure it performs perfectly. When you see Norm doing his table saw tricks this is the machine he is using-and trying to carry out some of the tasks he does on an inferior table saw is dangerous (and could well be on this one). But the simple solidity of this saw is impressive and inspires and allows you to carry out work to a high standard of accuracy.
Do I recommend it? Without a doubt this is the best tablesaw I have ever seen in the flesh-it is head and shoulders above the ally tabled saws and budget machinery you see for sale in the magazines. Indeed this is a machine from an age past. I wish Woodford would market them more heavily, but from what I hear they are struggling to cope wth the demand for them!
Price £998+vat

The "Dado Section" Please avoid this section if of a delicate disposition.................
Of course, you all want to know about the dado capability, right?
I purchased a Frued stacked dado set from my local Machine mart (a very nice set-mighty large lumps of carbide....). To use a dado head obviously the standard throat insert is of no use. I made a replacement from some scrap hardwood by sticking it to the original and routering around it with a bearing guided cutter. The insert was fitted and held in place with some scrap and a clamp while the saw was slowly raised throuh it to provide a "zero clearance" insert. In use the dado cut a very clean rabbet through some plywood in my test runs. If used safely and correctly I can't see any problems arising from it's use. (in fact I found the dado to be a bit of a let down after the years of "dado-itis" I have encountered in the UK press and internet forums....
This saw has a serious amount of power and in use the dado didn't cause any noticable drop in power-it just motored on through. It was a lot quicker than using a router as you can cut the whole rabbet in one go, as quick as crosscutting.
Obviously, my routers have nothing to fear, but for through dado's and rabbets I will be using my dado head. (guards removed for clarity, of course....)

If I have forgotten anything or anyone has any questions fire away!
best regards
Philly
:D

Philly,

Sounds like hours and hours of will spent time coming up in the workshop :D

I will have to start saving for one :evil: The tag does appear to be reasonable from what you have said.

How about a few pictures of the insert and the arbour, thanks. :roll:

Hi Philly

The machine sounds like the dogs do dah's. :mrgreen:

How come the machine is dado compliant though ?

I thought all UK specc'ed machines had the arbor shortened and using a dado cutter would breach the rules regarding stopping time ?

Am I completly wrong here ? Wouldn't be the frist time nor the last.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back