A new table saw please sir?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, well I checked and it seems there wasn't any word of "no value of goods in lieu" in the competition details, so I guess I should have entered myself... I personally think it's daft to enter for something you don't actually want, but what the heck. I withdraw my objections (and remind myself why I don't bother entering competitions).

Cheers, Alf

Edit: Sorry, Philly, I should have added I wasn't suggesting you were involved in anything dodgy (apart from buying a table saw at all, of course... :wink: )

No probs, didn't take that way. Just don't want to get people agitated (well, apart from cast iron gloatage, of course :lol: )
TWFKAP
(The Woody Formerly Known As Philly :p )

Well, look what the cat dragged in......................
tablesaw1.jpg

Now that is a big box!
tablesaw2.jpg

Well what a surprise- a new Tablesaw!!
tablesaw3.jpg

Now that is the biggest motor i have ever seen.......
tablesaw4.jpg

Some nice accesories-2 saw blades, the lovely fence and 52 inch rip fence rails... :shock:
tablesaw5.jpg

Couldn't wait to clean off the gloop.
tablesaw6.jpg

Unfortunately the Boss has me working today so had to sneak out "on business" for an hour to take a quick look! Will give you a full review once I finish bolting it together and get the sparky to wire it in. By the way, 250 kilos is VERY HEAVY! :?
It's going to be a long day.....
Philly :D

Fantastic looking bit of kit! With that motor, you'll dim the lights in the entire neighbourhood I shouldn't wonder. Looks as though some reorganisation of the workshop will be needed to accomodate 52 inch rails?

Looking forward to that review Philly..

Philly":rqu52392 said:
Well, look what the cat dragged in......................
Note to self: Don't try patting Philly's cat on the head and calling it "Pussums" unless you have no further need for your arm... :shock:

Cripes, Philly, are you going to keep the 52" rails in a seperate shed? :? :lol: Still, not a bad free gift with that ply crate I suppose. :wink: Congrats.

Cheers, Alf

Looks fantastic, Philly :D

I have a great idea to create some space for your new acquisition - just send me your router table c/w Incra fence - it just looks so in the way at the moment... :p

NeilCFD

Chris, Alf,
Was a little surprised by the length of the rails-thought I was getting the 24 inch ones...... Still, can't moan! :D
Was impressed with the free crate too! Talk about something for nothing :lol:
only 2 hours to go.......
from the New Philly Workshop

So how are / did you get the saw off of the crate? :shock:

I am very tempted, looks like a very useful bit of kit, your review is of course not optional :wink:

Hey Philly,

Welcome to the iron club....Turkey talk - what size is the throat insert? From the pictures it looks really massive. It is dado enabled, isn't it?

Rgds

Noel

Hi Philly,
Looks the absolute BUSINESS :D :D 8) 8) :mrgreen:

I think i'm now fully over the edge! I'ii order mine in 2 weeks or so
as we're having a loft conversion this week, and swmbo wants to store
all the loft junk in MY garage :x

Btw, when is your loft con. finished :?: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I cannot wait for the review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''BECOME ONE WITH THE D#D# YOUNG JEDI''

TX

Hi All
At last some more pics. Finished putting it together last night, just waiting the sparky to wire the beasty in. The fence rails are very long!
saw2.jpg

Luckily the router table managed to fit neatly inbetween them though-and the drawers and doors still open without fouling. What a fluke! :lol:
saw.jpg

As you can see, a little workshop "re-arranging" was necessary-but I think it will work out ok. The fence on the saw is superb-lots of adjustment and slides smooth as silk-yum!
Will hopefully fire it up soon and a full report will follow.

Philly,

Just an observation (slight cough) I couldn't help noticing there's something in the way of the outfeed side. Which mobile base will you be getting? :lol:

Chris,
Mobile base-yup definitely going to be handy. But which one....... Has to take 250 kilos, so the mobile base i bought is out of the picture. Any ideas?
My double garage has small deviding walls between the two "halfs", about a meter wide. They kinda get the way a bit but cannot be removed (structural). Mind you, I don't really expect to be cutting a lot of full sheets, so it's not really a problem. Still.. :?
The fence slides over the top of the router table quite nicely so I lucked out there. As I said, a full review will be coming your way shortly but, Boy, am I impressed with the quality of the thing. VERY well made.
later,

Erm, wouldn't it be easier to put the stuff that's in the way on a mobile base...?
Oh, and I reckon the luck vis-a-vis the router table counts as a gloat; who'd have thunk it?

Cheers, Alf

Pained to see a bandsaw table swamped in junk in order to accomodate a table saw <shudder> :p

Alf,
Behind the sheets of ply is the 'lil bit of wall that separates the two garages. I'll clear up a bit more tonight and will post legible photo's (and, hopefully, scrawlings :lol: )
Still waiting for the bleedin' Sparky though-grrr :(
Who has not mentioned the "D" word in public

Ah, okay. Putting walls on wheels seldom works, that's true. I can't help but wonder
if it's just plain too big, but I imagine a few tips from Adam and you're laughing... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Philly,
A lot of people recommend these http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 3?v=glance but I have one and I think they are rotten in nearly all respects and the one designed for the unisaw seems even worse http://9rules.com/powertools/B0000223L9/index.php

You might think about this http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Unisaw/U ... ebase.html
or one of these http://www.5plus.chr.ru/1216.htm

For my money I would get some heavy duty wheels from Machine Mart and weld one up. (Using a little MIG welder from Machine Mart is as close to a no-brainer for this sort of thing as it gets. I would not try to pass off my welding as anything but bodging but for my needs it is a very useful adjunct to woodworking).

If you don't want to get a MIG welder (they are quite cheap now) then pay someone to weld up a base to your own design.

Mobile bases used to be OK but it seems that every "manufacturer" nowadays has reduced the gauge of the metal used and farmed out construction to the "It'll-Do-Corp.Inc." with branches in all the backstreets of Shanghai and elsewhere. The result is that they look more or less like they used to but they don't perform worth a damn. It's a bit like old tools! I have a mobile base from 10 years ago that is a dream. A modern lookalike took me three hours of hard work and quite a few materials to get it to work properly.

Latest posts

Back