A new table saw please sir?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2man":1fbxsdxq said:
Did somebody just write something?
Hmm, tricky. Your're reading this with your eyes closed eh? So you wouldn't even see a link to a sound file... Tsk. Never mind, at least we can insult you with impunity... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf :D

Hi Alf

Alf":1aajsyna said:
Aww Neil, I was working up a whole scenario there. :roll

:oops:

Cheers
Neil

PS It is, of course, worth noting that nothing ever comes out of Somerton. Every communication I've had has come from Devon. :roll:

hi all,
I've decided to go with an X-calibur, my only decision now is
which one?
When i opened the site, mine eyes settled upon the glory of the 8000101 10''cabinet sawhttp://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/Table_Saws1.html
This was the one for me :) , (i didn't have the slide because of it's size). Howeverrrrrr, i then noticed the 8040101 10'' table saw.
Now i'm a newbie on the ww-ing front, it is only my hobby( albeit an
all consuming one),so is the cab.saw really necessary? The table saw isn't
fully enclosed, ( but i could do that myself), it has smaller hand wheels,
a rather dubious switch and not a full cast iron top. Also, i'd be able to acquire a new p/t :twisted: It does however, have the same capabilities, and the fence looks the same.
I know about the vibration factor :oops: but can the great unwashed
tell me any other considerations i should consider?...,as it were...,so to speak...,hopefully...,please? :?

TX

Hi TX,
The saw your looking at is called a "contractors"saw in the States, a lighter duty version of cabinet saws. These are often used by, wait for it, "contractors" as site saws due to their lighter weight. I believe at least one member of this forum already owns one, I'msure he will give you a review of its capabilities.
Awaiting my upgraded 8000101 :roll:
best regards
Philly :D

hi Philly
:roll: :wink: Yes, i know it's a lighter version and 1/2 the hp, but considering the pre-mentioned..................
Sooooooooo,can you tell me why you bought the 8000101 and not the 8040101?

TX

TX,
I went for the cabinet saw because.....
Bigger tables, heavy duty cabinet, heavy duty trunion that is connected to the cabinet-not the table like in lighter duty saws. It is a pro-spec saw that will last me my lifetime. If you look on the american sites there are reviews of the Unisaw and contractors saws to give you some more advice..
Here's one..
http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/Selec ... lesaw.html
cheers

Thanks Philly, excellent link :D
Taking everything into consideration,
i think the con.saw would probably be fine for me at the moment, BUT,
in a year or ten, i might have progressed enough that everyday i would be saying to myself 'if only' or 'i wonder'. :cry: Also, i have the money now and might not in the future.
So it's the 10'' cabinet saw for me :D :D :D :D :D :D

ps, is it splitter or riving knife Philly?

pps, Did you get a load of the SAW STOP finger trial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
htpp://www.sawstop.com

TX

TX,

If I were in your position I'd stick my hand up for the Cabinet TS same as Philly's soon to be drool / gloat fest. If you can afford / justify it. The contractor's TS on the site looks a bit lightweight, especially with the cheese grater extension tables and as you say it's possible you'll outgrow it. Although I've a contractor's model (US Delta) it's spec and capabilities are just right for me, especially with the fence on it.
Riving knife and spiltter are, essentially, the same term although a riving knife hugs the blade whereas a spiltter generally sits further back from the blade.
Let us know what you end up getting.

Rgds

Noel

Cheers for your input Noely-words of wisdom indeed! :D
TX,
You can choose whether you want a riving knife fitted when you order your saw. They convert them to CE spec for you. Also you can order "options" like dado set, wide arbor, etc.....
Cheers
Still awaiting that phonecall! :x

Philly, all,
Just spoke to Woodfords,apparently they don't supply the
8000101 any more :cry: . Instead, they stock the 8060101 which is identical,(same price) :D ,
except for a longer fence/rail. They have them in stock now!
They automatically change the listed blade cover to conform with
CE regs. The only problem is that the 806 isn't featured on the site,
(woodford man apologetic), unless :idea: the 800 is really the 806 and it's
a typo. Anyway, nice Woodford man is sending me all the relevant details/
pics etc

ps Can't understand why you haven't got yours because, they're not
getting any more, they've got the 806's in stock. Unless, your getting the 806,but in that case you wouldn't have had to wait.......

TX

I'm going for lie down :?

TX
Got me all excited then......... :?
Talked to the "Guv" at Woodford. The only 806 that they have in stock is the one that was won in the Good Woodworking competition. They are waiting for the winner to get in touch as to delivery. So it is still two weeks......
And yes, the 806 is the upgraded 800 that I ordered.
So thats 14 days, 14 x 24 is 336 hours, etc.........

waitingly,

Philly,
Nice woodford man told me they had 3 :?
1 on show in showroom(where else?), 1 boxed 'out back'and 1 some
place else( can't remember). Also, he said there were plenty at their
warehouse.
He assured me i could have immediate delivery once ordered!
Mind you,he was one of the sales reps :roll:

TX

UPDATE ALERT
Hi All,
Well, had a phone call last night from Tim at Woodford. No, the saws haven't arrived yet. BUT-They have one saw in stock. It was the one for the Good Woodworking competition. The winner hadn't yet claimed it. The winner got in touch but admitted the saw was too big for his workshop. Woodford then offered him goods to the value and the gent was happy!
Now, Philly is top of the Unisaw waiting list. Henceforth the phonecall last night. So my 10 inch Unisaw will be turning up on my doorstep on Tuesday!!!
Better tidy the place up on the weekend.
cheers

Philly":w7ih1j81 said:
It was the one for the Good Woodworking competition. The winner hadn't yet claimed it. The winner got in touch but admitted the saw was too big for his workshop. Woodford then offered him goods to the value and the gent was happy!
Huh?! Firstly; why enter the competition then, you clown (no, not you, Philly :wink: )? Secondly; how many people might have entered if they could have had goods to the value, but didn't because they knew they didn't have room for the saw. Ooo, that's very bad. Should have drawn an alternative winner, IMO. :evil:

Anyway, good news for you, Philly. Tuesday eh? Will you be a doing traditional countdown? :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,

Ooo, that's very bad. Should have drawn an alternative winner, IMO.
Unfortunately, this was out of our hands.
We contacted the winner to say that he had won, and also Woodford to inform them of the winner so they could contact him regarding delivery etc.
We were unaware that any deal had been struck between Woodford and the winner until I read this thread, but we will be making it clear from now on in our competition rules that no prize alternatives will be offered by Good Woodworking Magazine.
Sorry to all who entered, but as I said, this was a deal made by Woodford and the winner without our knowledge.

Andy

Alf":q6ocphgn said:
Huh?! Firstly; why enter the competition then, you clown (no, not you, Philly :wink: )? Secondly; how many people might have entered if they could have had goods to the value, but didn't because they knew they didn't have room for the saw. Ooo, that's very bad. Should have drawn an alternative winner, IMO. :evil:

Alf,

I have to disagree with you on this (sorry!). I've entered competitions in the past, not so much because I want that particular prize, but because I know I could sell it and use the money for something I do want. I don't think that's unfair or unethical. Even if GW ensure there's no other prize option, the winner can do this themselves, so it doesn't really change much.

Pete

Hi All
I didn't want to get folk into trouble when I said about the competition. The chap at Woodford was up-front with me as to the saw. I was quite happy with what he told me, and thought they were quite accommadating with the winner. Obviously new saws will be in stock any day, and I am happy to wait, so no dodgy business was going on to get me a saw early.
I hope this kinda makes things a little clearer.

Back