18v tool brand choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using Dewalt for years because at one time a friend could get really, really good offers on their different tools from the US. Stayed with them until fairly recently, but then tried a Ryobi SDS and then a Worx SDS. Both more than ok for home and semi pro work. The Worx in particular is very nice (and quite sexy looking....I know, I'm a sad, sad old git), and the Ryobi is good for drilling into our local stonework.
I've also got adapters so I can use Dewalt 18v batteries on both the Ryobi and the Worx. The Dewalt batteries are "copies" and I've not had any problem with them. Maybe they don't take as many recharges as the genuine ones, but I think that they will outlast me.

Be careful with DeWalt as they have two levels. The DIY level is more a par with Ryobi whist the pro version is much more solid.
Never seen a DIY level DeWalt, as far as I know they only do one level, can you link to this DeWalt DIY level gear.

I don't think there's any specification as such, but if you pay £100 for one and £200 for another I'd expect them to be of different manufacture.
I'd be inclined to agree with Phil. There are certainly similar tools at two distinctly different price points and seemingly aimed at different markets. For example, the DW range of tools available through Homebase is generally not offered by trade outlets and vice versa.

If you look at the model numbers they are often specific to one source - if you search for prices of a 123abc, you might find abc124, abc125, abd123 etc. Whether there's a difference in the product, who knows?

Is this where tools are built down to a price point for certain vendors?

Really interesting discussion going on. Given me a lot to think about.
It's made the decision all the more difficult!

Boschs universal battery idea is certainly a strong plus point to stick with Bosch, only thing putting me off with Bosch I can see is that the Bosch impact driver I had planned to buy (200Nm with the red bit lock and takes 1/4" and 1/2") reviewed poorly in a YouTube comparison test. Not that I'll be driving in 200mm screws anytime soon.....

As a result am tempted by the Milwaukee setup. But with the intention of looking for some smaller 2or3Ah batteries to go with it to reduce weight on small tasks.

I'll continue watching this discussion with interest though, as no doubt I'll change my mind before the days out :)

Really interesting discussion going on. Given me a lot to think about.
It's made the decision all the more difficult!

Boschs universal battery idea is certainly a strong plus point to stick with Bosch, only thing putting me off with Bosch I can see is that the Bosch impact driver I had planned to buy (200Nm with the red bit lock and takes 1/4" and 1/2") reviewed poorly in a YouTube comparison test. Not that I'll be driving in 200mm screws anytime soon.....

As a result am tempted by the Milwaukee setup. But with the intention of looking for some smaller 2or3Ah batteries to go with it to reduce weight on small tasks.

I'll continue watching this discussion with interest though, as no doubt I'll change my mind before the days out :)
I find Milwaukee excellent, but it is heavy. For my uses I find a 3ah battery enough and that's on a hackzall.
Powertool World and SGS are worth watching if you go down the Milwaukee route.

Last edited:
Boschs universal battery idea
Hey, they also have vacuum cleaner that is powered by batteries from 18v green series. I was surprised to see that in a shopping mall last year...
Kind of like Dyson but not and a bit cheaper. Bosch BCS611AM:

MCSA03154639_BCS611AM-power-image-2000x2000-02_def.webp

The problem with cordless is that in will tie you into a brand unless you are happy to have multiple batteries and chargers which means you may not get the best tool for each purpose, ie a great drill but not so good for a saw, much like jack of all but master of none. If you use corded then you can easily pick the best tool for each purpose from various brands. The biggest downside of cordless for me is that you are tied into that brands batteries and the tool only functions whilst you have good batteries unlike corded which just work until they fail.

The problem with cordless is that in will tie you into a brand unless you are happy to have multiple batteries and chargers which means you may not get the best tool for each purpose, ie a great drill but not so good for a saw, much like jack of all but master of none. If you use corded then you can easily pick the best tool for each purpose from various brands. The biggest downside of cordless for me is that you are tied into that brands batteries and the tool only functions whilst you have good batteries unlike corded which just work until they fail.
You can buy adaptors for the major brands to use one make of battery on another make of tool. I've never used one but do have an adaptor for the old oval dewalt tools to use the newer batteries. Works a treat, a 20 something year old all metal drill/driver was worth stripping and rebrushing once I knew it could use the newer batteries.....

I suppose the main question is, is there a set of criteria, or minimum specifications in which you can use to seperate DIY and trade gear?

I.e, an 18v combi drill must have metal gears and >50Nm of torque.

I have a (British) mate here who has run a small building company for years. He has about half a dozen artisans, mainly Armenians but a couple of Brits as well. They are very, very hard on tools and tend to use Makita. Not a Dewalt or Milwaukee between them. I've fixed a few Bosch tools for them over the last few years and found the quality of manufacture to be pretty good. Easy to get spares too.

Back