Secret Santa 2018 Pictures here, please (page nine start).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As no one seems to have either volunteered to start it off or objected to my doing so , here goes.
Anyone who's interested in this amazing annual event please PM me your email address and your actual address - I find emails much easier to keep track of than PMs. When I have your email address I'll email you so you have mine in case of any query.

Same "rules" as usual - if you're not sure of your ability to produce something good enough, don't worry, buy something - even if it is a second hand tool or something so long as IT IS SOMETHING YOU WOULD BE PLEASED TO RECEIVE. You are of course expected to post pictures of the gifts - please make an effort to do this even if you have to kidnap a child to help you. It makes a difference (I know - I spent a long time once on one that wasn't even acknowledged). If any previous organisers have any advice please feel free to give it.

I will get someone else to do the draw on Wednesday 5th December (the day I am officially old) and parcels should be sent by 10/12.

So get your fingers out and GET ON WITH IT. :ho2

Phil

Well done for stepping up to lead this.

Is there any chance of doing the draw a bit earlier? 5 days isn't long to do a bit of research and make something, especially if something needs buying for it.

Good point. I wasn't thinking that way. I was thinking my way - get it in a parcel and wait to be given the address. I'm open to suggestion on this one, though your point makes perfect sense. Plenty of time left at the moment. Maybe someone who's run it before will come up with a suggestion?
Obviously the earlier I get the (majority of) names in the easier it will be. :D

Probably the easiest way is to email me your address and I'll pair you off as the emails come (saves the bother of drawing lots as well) - you won't know who else has emailed me and that way you'll have ages to think about it. I'll only announce the number who've entered not the names (til the end) so no one will necessarily know who's paired with whom. Can anyone see anything wrong with this or make a better suggestion? Feel free to say.

Pairing people so that they exchange gifts is not a good idea - in fact it is not a Secret Santa because you know your gift came from the person you sent one to ! Or have I misunderstood ?

Better is to get a list of names, then set up a round-robin, each name you draw gives to the next person, forming a closed circle. Then the sender is not given away.

Good point. I don't know how important it really is, it always seems to come out in the wash, but yes, you are right. I think they were straight exchanges last year (unless I was lucky and Pete wasn't :D ).
I was toying with a No.2 gives to No.1 and receives from No.3 or something like that - it was just an idea try to get the draw done quicker.

Groups of 3 doing a circular swap should be enough to make the sender unknown, but let you get things underway before the joining deadline ?

Sorry to complicate things Phil, and well done for keeping this tradition going :D

This was in OT, no idea why so moved here. I'll make it a sticky if enough show interest.
Would also suggest contacting Morfa who ran it last couple of years and it seemed to go well.

Just a thought - it might be worth entrants listing their interests in their profile (many people don't bother) as it might give their SS a pointer. I suspect we mostly know from past posts what people's interests are, but newer people might not.

Sheffield Tony":2dhfl5om said:
Better is to get a list of names, then set up a round-robin, each name you draw gives to the next person, forming a closed circle. Then the sender is not given away.
It also allows odd numbers.

I'd say keep entries open until 30th November and then issue names that evening, stating all gifts must be sent by 15th December. That should give them enough time to arrive by Christmas.

Back