Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ace":2jnyg8on said:
Not the most intereting thing but just finished this -
/
door.jpg

door1.jpg
Interesting design, nice, I like that. Did you use a V router bit to get the tongue, groove effect? How did you do the framing for the light?

El Barto":1qcgjfp4 said:
Working on an absolutely enormous project at the moment. For those interested, I have been using a double-bevel Gransfors broad axe - this creates the nice scalloped texture you can see in the photo. As opposed to a single-bevel broad axe that gives you a cleaner face.

Lpc7Mu9.jpg

Very interesting to see. It's unfortunate you can't post more! I've started looking into how folk worked on large sectioned timer in times gone by; namely to try and make new look old. I'm pretty happy with using wire wheels and assorted brush sanding wheels to age the wood but achieving the hand hewn look seems best done... by hand. Axe choice needs more investigation before making a decision as they ain't cheap!

Nelsun":2xgntw7g said:
Axe choice needs more investigation before making a decision as they ain't cheap!

No they aren't which can make trying out different types a bit of a pain. But there are a few places you can get decent but relatively affordable axes. Workshop Heaven do a nice looking Narex side axe for a very reasonable price, and you could also check out Hultafors. I believe they're made in the same forge as Gransfors but without that level of craftsmanship, therefore keeping prices lower. I have a Hultafors felling axe and it's very good.

El Barto":16qgy4pe said:
This is quite cool: I was going through one of the logs with my Alaskan mill (one of the faces will be cut, the other 3 hewn) and went straight through this. It appears to be a bullet of a fairly large calibre (it's certainly lead) and this being French oak leads me to think it may have happened in WW2. But if anyone can shed any light or debunk my theory I'd love to hear it.

phil.p":16qgy4pe said:
I had a load of firewood I salvaged from a chapel demolition and in one large piece of pine I found a musket ball. :)

I've also found lead shot in European oak :shock:, goes through the machines easy enough though! :lol:. The worst thing I've seen was the remnants of some kind of steel rod embedded across the grain that was about 15mm round and about 2" or so long into a piece of 3" thick oak. At some point somebody had pulled the piece out before it got to me but they really shouldn't be sending stock like that out. :x Somebody's obviously sawn through it though! :lol:

vvrogy2.jpg

I took down a Leylandii for a chap a worked with. It was about 18" diameter at the base, sitting on a small boundary hedge. I thought as this was boundary there'd be ironmongery in it somewhere, and as I didn't want to stop the change chains I thought I'd get everything above about six feet done then take it off at ground level, so if I hit something when logging the last part at least it could be slung in the trailer and taken away. Everything went without a hitch, though, and it wasn't until I unloaded the stuff that a saw a perfect cross section of a four inch nail in the largest ring. There was no sign of it on the stump. Why anyone puy a four inch nail into a tree two inches from the ground I still wonder, but it didn't even take the edge off the chain.

Deadeye":wfjvpgo9 said:
Having spent months as a newbie learnign to do the basics from scratch, I have finally done something that I feel I can show without too much embarassment and, more importantly, my wife will let in the house.
It's a replacement bed for my son's room (he only visits these days). Beech frame and boards; walnut inlay for the mountains and mahogany sun. He's a mountaineer, hence the theme.

That's really really nice deadeye - the waves meant to simulate clouds I assume?

El Barto":1kouay03 said:
Ha! We are under an embargo about posting photos on social media etc unfortunately so that's probably as much as I should share right now.

I can say though that the foundations of an enormous Roman villa were discovered on a very wealthy estate, so they have decided to rebuild the villa near the original site and open it to the public. The visible timbers inside the villa will have been hewn - they want to keep things as authentic as possible. We have something like 80 French oaks to hew and cut to size and we're nearly halfway through after 3 weeks.

This is quite cool: I was going through one of the logs with my Alaskan mill (one of the faces will be cut, the other 3 hewn) and went straight through this. It appears to be a bullet of a fairly large calibre (it's certainly lead) and this being French oak leads me to think it may have happened in WW2. But if anyone can shed any light or debunk my theory I'd love to hear it.

STXU9YH.jpg

To me, looks more like a piece of grapeshot rather than a round of ball ammo. Military callibre rounds were all basically "FMJ (full metal jacket)" from circa 1905 within Europe, partly due to the 1889 Hague convention but mostly due to all militaries by then using rifles with mechanical loading loading mechanisms (bolt action SMLE, French needle gun etc) as opposed to hand-fed rounds (Martini Baker - first Boer war). Lead rounds tending to deform due to the action of the bolt and therefore causing stoppages and barrel damage. Your photo doesn't appear to show any colour difference from a lead core and copper based jacket coating. Also counting the rings got higher than timeline since WW2 so I would guess it's either Great War shrapnel or even Franco-Prusso War

Droogs":1jpp4ile said:
Also counting the rings got higher than timeline since WW2 so I would guess it's either Great War shrapnel or even Franco-Prusso War

Or a hunter missing its prey :wink:

We are doing 2 more bedrooms with lattice in fron t of mirrors for the doors. Like these
gbiH0vK.jpg

Different style this time, 6 doors in each style
Heres the the start, 2 bedrooms with different styles:

Squares in squares
kGJS27X.jpg

and Diagonals
WQxUndC.jpg

I'll try and take a few images as I go along.
Nice project 6 bedrooms in total, 2 mirrored with lattice, 4 shaker

Back