You cannot be serious?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a Stanley 04 1/2 plane, which I picked up at a jumble sale, it had been sat on my shelves not being used, ( most of my planes are Records which I prefer). It was in lovely condition so I decided to sell it on flea bay. Thought ... wrongly.. that it would find its proper price so put a reasonably low price just above what I paid for it, it went for very little more. Didnt really care because I wasnt using it and thought someone would at least get some use out of. A few days after posting, checked tracking to find that the delivery firm has 'mislaid' my parcel. So while waiting to see what was happening, informed my customer, apologised, explained what had happened and asked if he was happy to wait until the parcel was found or if not I would offer a full refund. The customer demanded a full refund plus compensation because he would not be able to find another at that price! Fortunately the parcel turned up a couple of days later and was delivered ... got a poor feedback from the customer! I know you have to have cheek to get on these days but to say I am a little flabbergasted would put it mildly!

Ye gods that's cheeky of him on every count!

[edit] If the communication was via eBay messages it might be worth asking them to look into it - he was effectively asking you to pay for positive feedback, which isn't allowed. Might help you get the feedback corrected.

I sympathise - there's some unreasonable folks about.

SWMBO sold some clothes on fleabay (we're busy de-cluttering before a house move) and noticed, when packing a sold item, it had a small split in the seam. Spoke to buyer, agreed full refund, amiable conversation....still got negative feedback!

What on earth did he think he might be compensated for ? What was his loss ? Some people are idiots. He got his item at the price he bid, a few days later.

The eBay system of feedback is supposed to be helpful, but there's no accounting for human stupidity and/or bad manners unfortunately.
I use the site for buy-now only, and rarely at that. I cetainly wouldn't sell anything on there again.

Mike.S":1if2tmz3 said:
SWMBO sold some clothes on fleabay (we're busy de-cluttering before a house move) and noticed, when packing a sold item, it had a small split in the seam. Spoke to buyer, agreed full refund, amiable conversation....still got negative feedback!

As you didn't complete the transaction you should be able to get the neg removed. I did that when some silly person bought a collect only item and asked me to post it. Left me a neg when I said I wouldn't but a phone call to eBay got it quickly removed.

ebay is becoming a royal pita to sell on; I sold a few bits a while back and after I had paid the final value fee, fee on the postage and paypal fee, I was close to giving the stuff away.

Not all buyers are difficult,

I sold a fairly expensive wide angle lens to a chap in Thailand. He complained there was some fungus in it.

I apologised and offered a refund but he said he clean it off and didn't want any money back but just wanted to warn me so I could check any other lenses.

Gave me a positive feedback!

I bought an adjustable hole drillbit from a UK seller but it turned out to be garbage, the "blades" bent and warped on the first use - I told them and they offered a refund, I said to only give me half as it wasn't thier fault and suggested they remove it from their sales line - which they later did and thanked me for the honest feedback.

I agree Yorshire sam should contact ebay about the neg feedback and get it removed. There are no laws about getting extra compensation for distance selling. The p**** should be thankful he didn't pay full price and you offered a refund. I might have been inclined to contact the delivery company and tell them to return it.

The only thing I can think of that might be at all relevant is the concept of "loss of bargain", but I am not a lawyer and have no idea if it could be applied. Certainly, morally, it shouldn't be applied!

My suspicion is that the value of the item would make it uneconomical to pursue even if such a claim were valid.

Back