EBay info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistairmckinnon1961

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning I’m looking for some info (that I can’t find on eBay)

I sold a big Esse cast iron cooker on eBay (collection only) . I listed it as £x or best offer, and I got a best offer which I accepted.

I immediately got cash payment via PayPal which “cleared” a couple of days later, and transferred into my bank account.

I contacted the buyer to arrange collection, and since the sale (on 10 Dec 2023), I’ve had sporadic contact from the buyer. He doesn’t respond much and has never arranged to collect ( despite me providing a collection address)

What do I do? It’s nearly 3 months since the sale. Can he still cancel and pull back his payment?

Or have got the cash (securely), and still got the cooker….. though I still want rid of it…

Thoughts please?

Ive not had your particular situation arise but when ive left negative feedback in the ebay step in and offer assistance. Maybe that might help you too?

Interested to know how this goes as I'm in the same boat, sold a machine collection only, paid but never collected, and quite a lot of money, must be at least 6 months now.

I sold a big Esse cast iron cooker on eBay (collection only) . I listed it as £x or best offer, and I got a best offer which I accepted.

I immediately got cash payment via PayPal which “cleared” a couple of days later, and transferred into my bank account.

I contacted the buyer to arrange collection, and since the sale (on 10 Dec 2023), I’ve had sporadic contact from the buyer. He doesn’t respond much and has never arranged to collect ( despite me providing a collection address)

What do I do? It’s nearly 3 months since the sale. Can he still cancel and pull back his payment?

Or have got the cash (securely), and still got the cooker….. though I still want rid of it…

Thoughts please?
Ring ebay up, they are easy to talk to.

Thoughts please?
If you click through enough Ebay links you might get to "ask the community" and get quicker answers.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Mem...one final message.,buyer and relist your item.

I had this happen many years ago selling a workshop log stove. After 3 months of trying to communicate I gave an ultimatum that I would readvertise if no further response. So that's what I did and got more than the original sale.
You never know what's going on in other people's lives. Something dramatic could have happened and maybe this is something that is just not worth worrying about in the broad scheme of things.
Brian

Last edited:
I'd contact him again and explain that you have been storing his property free of charge for x amount of time now.
Say you will give him a further y amount of time to pick up his item.
If he does not remove his property from your property within y time Storage costs of z amount per week will be charged.

Ring ebay up, they are easy to talk to.
If you've been using ebay for a while, they give you a phone number for their concierge service. They are indeed easy to talk to, helpful and answer the phone without undue delay.

When you buy something that has to be delivered, upto 30 days seems to be accepted as reasonable if nothing specific was agreed. Turning that on it's head, giving notice that goods need to be collected within 30 days or forfeit ( not cancelled and refunded) doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Time is of the essence can be added into a contract after undue delay. Take a read of moneysavingexpert...

I wouldn't get into storage charges. You want to push him to act. Storage will encourage further prevarication.

I believe eBay only help buyers up to 30 days after a purchase, after three months I expect eBay won’t be too keen to sort anything out because there will be no evidence of it being collected or not.

Keep the cash and resell the cooker, if he kicks up a fuss refund his money.

Have a chat with consumer direct / citizens' advice or whatever they call themselves these days. They will be more help than ebay in this situation and will be able to tell you your rights under the distance selling regulations, which I'm guessing would apply here, even if it's a private sale.

Ebay makes it clear on every page - for private sale listings, eu consumer protection laws don't apply. Stay friends with ebay, give the seller reasonable notice but no, distance selling regulations don't apply. It's not a retailer-consumer transaction. (Unless the OP is a business which it doesn't sound like)

Back