Yandles appreciation post šŸ˜

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simply put that should have been in place by now and no excuse. Many shops not particularly woodworking shops do not physically have the goods they claim to stock but order once they get an order hence delays. I sell pike lures and when things are ordered they are out same day or the next day, why would anyone not want their new toys pronto?

This is something I spoke about with the guys while I was there, there current inventory system runs independently from their sales system, they are in the process of looking into a new system that will combine both processes.
I find that - in this day and age - incomprehensible! In the 80's I had a DIY/Hardware shop stocking some 12000+ items and wrote a computer Point of Sale system which updated the available stock at Point of Sale that was the whole point of the system. I later created a similar system for a multi site shoe retailer reducing his re-stocking errors from an average of 40% to zero!

The PoS systems which are available today are 1000s of times more powerful.

even with an integrated system it is not that simple :)
unless you hold a separate warehouse for online sales, which few smaller businesses can doā€¦ so generally the shop / stockroom is run as a combined warehouseā€¦ if you therefore have one item left in a specific line - eg a hammer, I am in the shop and pick it up from the shelf to buy but am still wandering the storeā€¦ you then come and look online - it says 1 available so you choose to buy itā€¦ who now gets the hammer? If I get to the till with the hammer there is no way you can tell me that the item in my hand is already sold to someone onlineā€¦ so you sell it to meā€¦ but the online computer has also sold it - but there are none in stock any longerā€¦

there are ways around it, such as the Amazon approach that they don't charge you / the contract is not in place until the item is picked and ready for dispatchā€¦ but whichever way you do it, you may have a situation where online says in stock when it no longer isā€¦

Simply put that should have been in place by now and no excuse. Many shops not particularly woodworking shops do not physically have the goods they claim to stock but order once they get an order hence delays. I sell pike lures and when things are ordered they are out same day or the next day, why would anyone not want their new toys pronto?
Maybe that's the problem, wanting things pronto. Why is that such a big thing today, is there any such real need for that level of urgency. If its that urgent go to a local shop and pick it yourself.

I don't choose a supplier by their ability to deliver next day, rather by the quality of service and support they provide. If all you base it on is speed of delivery, same day or next day, then I suggest you stick to Amazon.

even with an integrated system it is not that simple
I didn't really suggest that it was 'simple' to integrate 'On-line' & 'Bricks & Mortar' stock holding - specifically when they are both 'live' at one and the same time, and I can certainly appreciate the point that you make when stock is approaching Zero, but it is certainly possible to take account of those potential conflicts by using methodologies to indicate to the 'on-line' section (being furthest from the PoS) when stock is getting low -- It's called management by exception.

This is something I spoke about with the guys while I was there, there current inventory system runs independently from their sales system, they are in the process of looking into a new system that will combine both processes.
That would be good. I have bought a fair bit from them and had a couple of wrong items sent. Always sorted it and Iā€™ll still go back to them for quality and price.
Been once, itā€™s a long way from Edinburgh ( visiting a daughter in Exeter).

That would be good. I have bought a fair bit from them and had a couple of wrong items sent. Always sorted it and Iā€™ll still go back to them for quality and price.
Been once, itā€™s a long way from Edinburgh ( visiting a daughter in Exeter).
Sure you weren't going to yandles and just visiting daughter as a cover story šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ‘

Somebody seems to have ignored what I said and twisted it to their own ends. I suggested you should not have to wait for your toys and the next thing suggested is I should shop at Amazon.Any shop should not advertise something it does not have in stock, to my mind to do so is underhand to get you on the hook and take your money .

Last edited:
Back