Yandles appreciation post šŸ˜

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a call from Yandles this afternoon to let me know that a couple of items I had ordered yesterday afternoon were out of stock and would I like to change the items to something else as the wait could be up to 2 weeks, with such a friendly and apologetic customer service I said I am more than happy to wait so they are going to call me back on the 10th to give me an update, I wish every company was so conscientious and lovely to deal with, I can easily foresee Yandles being my go to store and with a week holiday in Chard over Xmas I will 100% be dropping by the shop.

Also, having compared their pricing to others they seem to be really competitive.

and with a week holiday in Chard over Xmas I will 100% be dropping by the shop.
šŸ˜† you must be looking for milder weather!
I keep meaning to slot in a trip to yandles. Its probably just over an hour away but im always busy with work or family stuff šŸ¤Ø

A case of a missed opportunity - On the 27th Oct I ordered 3 rolls of expanded foam tape for greenhouse glass. I paid for next day delivery and had a confirmation of my order stating as such. However, by yesterday morning I heard nothing so I replied to their confirmation email asking for an update and again nothing. So today I phoned them and a cheery sales chap said ' oh somebody should have phoned you - these are out of stock'. So why did they appear as available on your website? I asked. 'I have no idea but do you want them in grey? you can have these by tomorrow' he replied. I said ok and duly received a confirmation of shipment and notification from Parcelforce.

It's so easy to get it wrong and yet just as easy to manage out of it without upsetting customers, this was a case of getting it wrong two ways.

this was a case of getting it wrong two ways.

I can see your point, but you called and spoke to real person who sorted it out for you. Compared with companies that don't have a phone number for the store and offer Web chat with people who can't see any more than you can on their system or press 3 to be ignored phone call centres with script-jockeys empowered to do nothing, Yandles sound excellent to me.

I really like yandles. The capital invested in their timber stock must be huge and also (until COVID) 2x FREE shows a year when most others have stepped back from shows, development of site with gallery and craft centre + staff who actually know what they are talking about makes for a very nice business to deal with and therefore Iā€™m happy to leave with a stock control system not quite as polished as amazon and maybe pay a couple of quid more than ebay to preserve all the above positives.

I hate going to Yandles. I start off wanting to just pop in, pick up a single piece of oak board and go home. Simple. Oh no, they have so much stock in the wood yard and barn I end up collecting three or four boards of various species, by the time Iā€™ve lugged them through the shop, thereā€™s another three or four items in the shop that catch my eye. The turning blanks beckon, weā€™ll, thatā€™s another thirty quid gone. The eye drifts to the machine section, get behind me Satan. It is a thoroughly dangerous place for the wallet. Must do more to resist going there every month.

It smells of an old fashioned hardware store, a place I worked in the 60ā€™s after school sweeping up and spending all my wages on tools at 13 years old right through till I was 16 and started work there full time.

I hate going to Yandles. I start off wanting to just pop in, pick up a single piece of oak board and go home. Simple. Oh no, they have so much stock in the wood yard and barn I end up collecting three or four boards of various species, by the time Iā€™ve lugged them through the shop, thereā€™s another three or four items in the shop that catch my eye. The turning blanks beckon, weā€™ll, thatā€™s another thirty quid gone. The eye drifts to the machine section, get behind me Satan. It is a thoroughly dangerous place for the wallet. Must do more to resist going there every month.

It smells of an old fashioned hardware store, a place I worked in the 60ā€™s after school sweeping up and spending all my wages on tools at 13 years old right through till I was 16 and started work there full time.
Sounds like I'm lucky to be almost 2 and half hour drive away, I'd be there every day šŸ˜

Woohoo, got the callback this morning as promised, my items have been shipped and I will have them by 11am tomorrow morning. Its not loads of stuff, a load of abranet sanding mesh and a record power sc3 chuck kit.

My order arrived today, Yandles did a great job of packaging my chuck and abranet abrasive mesh into a decent sized box and packed with recycled cardboard material, the courier however must have used it as a football because despite being so well packaged the chucks plastic case is smashed, which isn't a huge problem but it's a shame such a great experience with a company is let down slightly by the delivery carrier, I may be able to glue the case and make it usable.

SC3 case is a faff to use especially if you get more jaws later on. Save your time, and glue, get a biscuit tin :).
If I glue it up it will be to use for something else, the chuck will be getting a lot of use so will spend most of the time mounted on the lathe.

I'm happy with Yandles too. Very good on price, good sales personnel. They don't always have every item in stock but will go the extra mile to arrange it.
Great advice on machinery. Very nice timber (ordered unseen); I must take a trip there some day, but it's a long trip. However, as Sheptonphil said, it's dangerous for the wallet... so many nice things.... oh I could really do with one of those and some of that and...

Just spent a heavenly bit of time at Yandles drooling over the wood and tools, spent a bit of money (we may be living on beans on toast for a while) could easily spend days and fortunes in there.

My orders have always been good with yandles. Had one clamp die on me, and they were quickly and painlessly able to resolve the issue. So far good experience with them

Rules for going to Yandles. Best to go alone in a car with the seats down. Only go with one person who has the same interest and purchasing power if you have to. Take a pair of leather gloves to handle all the timber you will buy for turning, especially slabs for cutting and blank making later. Take photos of stuff you think you might need later. Always buy a bigger bandsaw than you are looking it, providing you have room. Lunch is excellent. Only take the Mrs if you really want to save for a cruise or holiday. Remember you cant take it with you. Buy a house in Martock. Enjoy. A Happy Christmas to all.

Rules for going to Yandles. Best to go alone in a car with the seats down. Only go with one person who has the same interest and purchasing power if you have to. Take a pair of leather gloves to handle all the timber you will buy for turning, especially slabs for cutting and blank making later. Take photos of stuff you think you might need later. Always buy a bigger bandsaw than you are looking it, providing you have room. Lunch is excellent. Only take the Mrs if you really want to save for a cruise or holiday. Remember you cant take it with you. Buy a house in Martock. Enjoy. A Happy Christmas to all.
Oh believe me if I could move nextdoor to yandles I would šŸ˜ fortunately for me my other half is very supportive and would happily enable me, she benefits by getting gifts every now and then from the all the stuff I spend the mo ey on šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

Here's my little Yandles haul
20211227_163214.jpg

My next purchase will be the Robert Sorby 447 jig set, a couple of parting tools and a smaller bowl gouge.

From my own point of view, nobody should order something from a site and then find out it is out of stock, they know how many they have and each one should be subtracted as it is sold, that is how my simple site works, it only goes wrong when we cannot count and that is rare. I would always cut off my nose to spite my face, if I got that phone call all items would be cancelled.

From my own point of view, nobody should order something from a site and then find out it is out of stock, they know how many they have and each one should be subtracted as it is sold, that is how my simple site works, it only goes wrong when we cannot count and that is rare. I would always cut off my nose to spite my face, if I got that phone call all items would be cancelled.
This is something I spoke about with the guys while I was there, there current inventory system runs independently from their sales system, they are in the process of looking into a new system that will combine both processes.

Back