Wooden toilet seat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made (or bought) a small wooden loo seat for children? It needs to be about 315mm wide and 397mm deep, for a compost toilet at a pre-school outdoor camp.

Thanks

Nick

I've occasionally thought about making a toilet seat, but I'm a little on the heavy side and the thought of any unseen cracks opening and closing if the seat flexed always scared me off!

monkeybiter":39vw7vdz said:
thought of any unseen cracks opening and closing if the seat flexed always scared me off!

just the thought brings tears to my eyes

adidat

What a brilliant question, I remember those seats so well from school camping trips!

I've been looking through 1950's and 1960's editions of The Woodworker to see if there's any plans or advice for toilet seats. Unfortunately post war protocol and modesty must have made this a forbidden subject, because even though there's plans for table lamps, garden swings, and even building your own oak fridge (I kid you not) there's not a word about hem, hem...toilets.

monkeybiter":10f9wqw7 said:
the thought of any unseen cracks opening and closing if the seat flexed always scared me off!
That would be a pain in the rear :roll:

I know, I know....hats and doors etc

custard":12fh3us6 said:
What a brilliant question, I remember those seats so well from school camping trips!

I've been looking through 1950's and 1960's editions of The Woodworker to see if there's any plans or advice for toilet seats. Unfortunately post war protocol and modesty must have made this a forbidden subject, because even though there's plans for table lamps, garden swings, and even building your own oak fridge (I kid you not) there's not a word about hem, hem...toilets.

Actually, making them must be easy, it's the fittings that are probably the tricky bit. Watch out in British Woodworking for a loo seat: we have no modesty!!!! We'll try to do something in the next couple of issues. Just the sort of Frugal Woodwork we like.

Nick

From my distant memory they had a large section to the rear, which sat on top of the pan. Say 3-4" deep on which chrome hinges with fancy shapes were face screwed to the top edge. This back plate was fixed, I think, with something like carriage bolts. I am sure you can come up with something in that direction. The current seat and pans will have standard hole centres if they need to match up to anything. I dont think close coupled came in until the sixties. The seats were made with several sections, possible four to create the circle. The old joke of wood splinters still rings true, so a fine grain would be preferred by enthusiastic users. Hope this is of some help.

Had to make about three hundred of these when the Turks invaded Cyprus....

The box 'Thunder box' is made from planks to whatever height is require and about 600mm square.
For the lid we planed one side of a plank and cut it into lengths which will sit on top of the box, three of these planks are then held together with two battens screwed on the unplaned side, it is then turned over and an oval hole is cut with a jigsaw, the cut edges are softened with sandpaper but could be rounded with a router, the lid is then hinged to the box to enable buckets to be removed.

Measurements and exact sizes will have to be worked according to the size of the average user.

Straining bars are optional...

Andy

For my first Saturday job I had to hand sand normal sized loo seats smooth, oh what fun :roll:

Used to be Dad's last job as we left for a holiday. Paint the loo seat! Normally Horrible pale green, you know the colour.
xy

Nick Gibbs":3014tton said:
custard":3014tton said:

Actually, making them must be easy, it's the fittings that are probably the tricky bit. Watch out in British Woodworking for a loo seat: we have no modesty!!!! We'll try to do something in the next couple of issues. Just the sort of Frugal Woodwork we like.

Nick
Nick..
Screwfix.com supply toilet seat fittings. Brass too if you have a mind for them!
So far I've found the fittings to be standardised.

HTH :D

Make from MDF and a few coats of varnish.....then there will only ever be one crack on the seat and the little nippers won't get nip in the bud ...I made one for the site Thunder Box and it lasted over 2 years of" Hairy pineappled Builders" , I used to give it a new coat of varnish every couple of months .

Hi

I have made a toilet seat and lid in the past. There was an article in Good Woodworking by Pete Martin ( I think that is right.) I got the brass fittings from Homebase.

Mike

Back