With some sadness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well guys, it is with some sadness that I have to announce I am giving up the business. Work has been slow recently and after a fall from a ladder I jarred my back and had to have some time off. Money is tight and rather than delve into my pension I am getting a job again, light duties but not woodworking. I shall downsize and continue wood working as a hobby again, small stuff of course to keep my hand in. I shall of course still be keeping my eye on the forums. :wink:

I'm really sorry to hear your news, especially given the huge number of posts you have made to inspire mere amateurs such as myself. As has been posted many times in this and other forums, woodworking is a precarious occupation and relies on a very volatile customer base. I wish you all the best for the future and hope your health problems sort themselves out.

I am very sorry to hear that mailee, your rate of work was mind-blowing and an example to new starters in self employment.
I too had to stop work after a back injury. However I am delighted to say that I now enjoy the woodwork I can manage without the pressures of making a profit.

I look forward to your future forum input.
The very best of good luck to you in your next employment.

xy

Very sorry to hear that, Alan - your work rate has always put many one-man-bands to shame! You need to look after your health though, so I hope the 'lighter duties' work out for you.

Best of luck,

Pete.

I too had to give up work because of back problems, woodwork is more of a therapy to me as I can't do a lot of the things I liked doing.
I always enjoyed you WIP stuff, even when it was using MDF! I was astounded by the speed at which you worked, I will miss your contributions on here, hopefully you will still post, just at a slower rate?
Alan I wish you all the very best and I hope you find suitable employment soon.

Stew

Sorry to hear that an accident has put pay to your business venture Alan, although you seem to thrive on the work flow pressures make the most of your enforced change in direction and look on the loss of the need to constantly control the work balance sheet as a positive event giving you the chance to develop some more Me Time.

Sad news indeed, always enjoyed your posts , best of luck with your future job and look forward to seeing any and all projects you can still find time to share with us all .

Alan hope that your health improves and that the new job works out OK. Like others have said your posts and the work rate were fantastic. I hope you don't take on too much with the new job, please pace yourself and look after your health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck in the future, I have missed your build threads. As others have said they were an inspiration
James

Sorry to hear your unfortunate news, I hope things right themselves in time. It always good to take time out and give yourself some space to think things over.

So sorry to hear of your misfortune Alan. I sincerely hope you will be able to carry on at least bellying up to the bench, for your own ends. I do hope everything sorts itself out for you and I wish you all the best. See you around on the forum .

John

Sometimes in life you have to be pragmatic. If the best way to pay the bills is by taking a paid job, so be it. At least you can look back and say that when you had the opportunity to run your own business, you gave it a go - many talk about it, fewer have the courage and drive to actually do it. Don't look on the new arrangements as a failure, just as the next chapter in life - and one that will return woodworking to being a pleasure you can enjoy at your pace rather than a pressure.

Good luck, and I hope the back returns to full strength soon.

I can't add anything to what's been said above, except that I too have learned a lot from your postings and help in the past. I'm very grateful.

Back pain can be horribly frustrating. I really hope it resolves soon, as it grinds you down far too easily.

Don't give in to it (sounds like you're not!), but don't overdo it either.

E.

Latest posts

Back