Wild fires in BC Canada.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
even worse if the left wing clowns get in....
Not likely to happen, Labour has been taken over by some other right wing clowns, we have no opposition.
Sunak, Starmer, like terrible twins - currently competing by lowering the bar in the hopes of picking up the unwoke vote.

Good news, that’s lots of vehicles kicking out more CO2 as their engines are not running efficiently.
That statement, from a Government Minister, has been thoroughly discredited now but that probably wasn't as widely reported as the original false assertion.

Yes, the engine may run marginally less efficiently but the overall CO2 output per mile falls because the engine is doing less work. Less rolling resistance, less drag, (which increases with the square of the speed) less energy dissipated by accelerating and braking in traffic. Probably helps with tyre particles and brake dust in populated areas as well, something that is just beginning to surface as a health issue.

It's never good to believe that what a minister says is wholly true, if Wales had a Conservative government the 20mph initiative would be praised. Half truths about speed limits, ULEZ and suchlike are all part of the attempt to discredit anything that Labour or Lib Dem authorities do. It's all about votes, not science or engineering.

Remember the UK wide 50 limit during the 1973 OPEC/oil price crisis? Long journeys were a bit tedious but very fuel efficient by the standards of the day, even though most large cars had engine and gear ratios optimised for 65 to 70.

Remember the UK wide 50 limit during the 1973 OPEC/oil price crisis? Long journeys were a bit tedious but very fuel efficient by the standards of the day, even though most large cars had engine and gear ratios optimised for 65 to 70.
I remember it well! As it happens at the time I was making a lot of cross country runs in my Bedford CA van. The 50 limit was very pleasant and made driving safer, more relaxed and cheaper. Not a lot of difference in journey times.
More recently my previous vehicle (VW Passat) kept switching into "safe" mode for a while. This limited power but not speed so I could get up to 70 on downhill long runs but not on the up, but 50/60 OK. Journey times slightly longer but fuel economy went up by 25% or so.
Slow is good for everybody! Bring it on!

Last edited:
The 20mph limit will also increase every day costs like groceries, deliveries, bus and taxi fares etc. as everything will take longer.
Thus spake Mr Toad!

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 20.23.13.png

The ballot box will determine whether the policies of 20mph and ULEZ are accepted by the public these politicians supposedly serve. Neither was a manifesto item, so they didn’t have a mandate for such policies.

The ballot box will determine whether the policies of 20mph and ULEZ are accepted by the public these politicians supposedly serve. Neither was a manifesto item, so they didn’t have a mandate for such policies.
You are probably right, and selfish voters will doubtless vote for selfish politicians.
What a daft system.

At last, Mr Sunak has decided that some of the crazy targets for going green should be pushed back to align with Europe and USA.

Well, at least the Welsh are busy going nowhere very slowly, no change there! I think they should consider going back to having the chap in front of a car carrying a flag. It will make all the difference.
About 60 years ago, my dad said;"They'll be running the country one of these days", or trying to in my opinion.

Surely this will create more pollution, vehicles running in lower gears & 'cats' not working efficiently enough?

I love it how the reality that just because you would like to have net zero doesn’t mean that you can have it by just stomping around and shouting ‘how dare you, how dare you!’
Net zero is a pipe dream that won’t be achieved in my lifetime. Only those with over 50 years left on the clock might see it….and that’s a big ask. Probably the real driver to green will be as fossil fuels get harder to find / extract will it change.
I think the best estimate is it will cost three times the total UK annual GDP to get the infrastructure in place. Well, that’s a level of taxation over the period that would basically mean 90% of the population couldn’t afford to eat! That’s a sure vote winner…..or perhaps not!
Just look at the pain, and push back after fuel prices increased due to the Ukrainian war! So raising fuel prices is also not a vote winner.
I enjoyed reading about the proposals to limit aeroplane flights, clothing, meat consumption and a whole range of other things by the climate protection lobby. Yep, that is going to be a big vote winner.
Wales introduced the 20mph spreed limit. Good news, that’s lots of vehicles kicking out more CO2 as their engines are not running efficiently. Bravo labour, good job.
I fully agree.

Sweden is moving a whole town that's 'sinking', due to mining the necessary for making batteries for electric vehicles, so that they can expand the mining activities. Volvo no doubt has a finger in the pie!

I went to a meeting with our prospective tory MP (George Useless thankfully is jacking it in) and he made it plain he won't be happy until the whole area is 20mph. The plod will enforce this, he says, ignoring the fact that the problem here is people not keeping to the existing 30mph limit .................. which the plod have absolutely no interest in enforcing.

The ballot box will determine whether the policies of 20mph and ULEZ are accepted by the public these politicians supposedly serve.
Politicians are supposed to lead, as well as to "serve".
Sadiq Kahn has been impressive recently as he calmly and sensibly argues the case for ULEZ, in spite of the dialogue being completely dominated by the mob and their feeble leaders Sunak and Starmer.
Not always a good idea of course - Johnson led us up s**t creek with Brexit, but it does show how much power they can wield, for better or worse.

Neither was a manifesto item, so they didn’t have a mandate for such policies.

We don't rule by plebiscite, politicians are our representatives, not delegates, and they don't need a mandate on every issue.
In fact they are supposed to stay well ahead of the mob and make intelligent decisions, ignoring the braying from un-woke world of donkeys and Daily Mail readers.
Manifestos are a statement of intent rather than a direct contract. Obvious really or they would have to run into thousands of pages.

Last edited:
I went to a meeting with our prospective tory MP (George Useless thankfully is jacking it in) and he made it plain he won't be happy until the whole area is 20mph. The plod will enforce this, he says, ignoring the fact that the problem here is people not keeping to the existing 30mph limit .................. which the plod have absolutely no interest in enforcing.
Don't they complain about speed cameras in Cornwall? If not then maybe there aren't enough of them.

Surely this will create more pollution, vehicles running in lower gears & 'cats' not working efficiently enough?
Nonsense. Lower speeds means lower fuel consumption. Even if 'cats' not working efficiently pollution still lower, plus all the other advantages of slower speeds.

At last, Mr Sunak has decided that some of the crazy targets for going green should be pushed back to align with Europe and USA.
Europe and USA well ahead of UK on green targets. UK slipping backwards due to weak and inneffective governments.

Sweden is moving a whole town that's 'sinking', due to mining the necessary for making batteries for electric vehicles, so that they can expand the mining activities. Volvo no doubt has a finger in the pie!
er, so what exactly? Subsidence has been a feature of mining everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back