Wild fires in BC Canada.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it how the reality that just because you would like to have net zero doesn’t mean that you can have it by just stomping around and shouting ‘how dare you, how dare you!’
Net zero is a pipe dream that won’t be achieved in my lifetime. Only those with over 50 years left on the clock might see it….and that’s a big ask. Probably the real driver to green will be as fossil fuels get harder to find / extract will it change.
I think the best estimate is it will cost three times the total UK annual GDP to get the infrastructure in place. Well, that’s a level of taxation over the period that would basically mean 90% of the population couldn’t afford to eat! That’s a sure vote winner…..or perhaps not!
Just look at the pain, and push back after fuel prices increased due to the Ukrainian war! So raising fuel prices is also not a vote winner.
I enjoyed reading about the proposals to limit aeroplane flights, clothing, meat consumption and a whole range of other things by the climate protection lobby. Yep, that is going to be a big vote winner.
Wales introduced the 20mph spreed limit. Good news, that’s lots of vehicles kicking out more CO2 as their engines are not running efficiently. Bravo labour, good job.

I was in Wales yesterday helping a friend move a machine. What complete lunacy their road system now is crawling along at 20mph with cyclists overtaking us. I will endeavour not to cross the border again until sanity prevails.
Just watched a speech by our beloved Donald the Trump. I thought it relevant as I suspect that he is unbelievably going to get a second term as President. Well, one of his tag lines was ‘we are gonna Drill baby Drill (for oil)“

The 20mph limit will also increase every day costs like groceries, deliveries, bus and taxi fares etc. as everything will take longer.
Unlikely to change average speeds, reduces accidents, reduces fuel consumption, reduces air pollution, makes road usage for all, including drivers, and those who live alongside the road, a pleasanter experience.

That was just a comment from one Greek official making excuses. He was the country’s senior "climate crisis official" and clearly out of his depth and failing desperately.
Yep, probably free thinking, reading up on the facts, going looking at what is actually happening and the cause rather than just following the party political line. Totally out of his depth And needs re-education.

1695391331749.jpeg

I love this cartoon of King Canute, just seems appropriate now!

View attachment 166717
I love this cartoon of King Canute, just seems appropriate now!
Just to be historically accurate here, Canute got a bad press for doing something good: What he was actually trying (and succeeded in) proving was that he did not have the power to stop the tide and that he was just a man with temporal authority, not divine...

Also of course, on Sunak's folly, if we try, we may succeed, if we don't try, it's certain that we won't succeed. He says he wants the country to be a world leader, yet has just surrendered the lead on mitigating climate change. "Fool" is the least offensive word I can find for him.

Do you seriously believe the rest of the world gives a toss what Britain does or doesn't? Do you believe Xi Jinping will wake up one day and think we'd better listen to Sunak and immediately stop opening two coal fired power stations a week.?

Do you seriously believe the rest of the world gives a toss what Britain does or doesn't? Do you believe Xi Jinping will wake up one day and think we'd better listen to Sunak and immediately stop opening two coal fired power stations a week.?
No, but does that mean we shouldn’t care about the future? Too many point at others to hide their own culpability

Do you seriously believe the rest of the world gives a toss what Britain does or doesn't?
Rest of world; everybody is watching everybody.
Do you believe Xi Jinping will wake up one day and think we'd better listen to Sunak and immediately stop opening two coal fired power stations a week.?
China is going green faster and will end up selling even more green tech to the laggards like the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back