Wild fires in BC Canada.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefley

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw a tidbit of info, on how bad the fires have been in Canada this year. With the majority of the fires in BC where I live. We have three big fires within 10 kilometres of us. With huge Sikorsky choppers and water bomber planes going over every hour. Scooping water off lake. The fire are is the same size of England!!! 133.000 km2.

Attachments

• 2837736A-5B79-4213-AC0F-E064F8791956.jpeg
    2837736A-5B79-4213-AC0F-E064F8791956.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 0
Some have alleged that poor forestry management has in part been responsible. What are your views from on the ground, as it were?
Climate change.
No doubt constructive forestry could have helped in some circumstances but not on the scale it is happening world wide, nor in anticipation of the unexpected outbreaks, even north of the arctic circle. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022... above,the Copernicus Climate Change Service.

Last edited:
Some have alleged that realize a big mistake. poor forestry management has in part been responsible. What are your views from on the ground, as it were?
very true. For years we ran around putting out every fire that was caused by lightning. we now realize a big mistake. we interfered with nature. we now have forests with so much dead trees etc in them so when they do ignite they have so much fuel. also if they did a lot more selective cutting for mills and replanting we would have natural fire breaks, In the govt parks now , if the fire starts by lightning they are letting it burn until it gets close to towns. letting nature take its course.

and i can't remember the last time it rained. i work constructioned outside, and it's been over 30-35 c every day this summer. people were swimming in april 1st in lake. 6 weeks early. Trees are turning fall colours, they say because of drought. the trees are confused . they say hottest summer in Canada. since recorded weather history.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.go...ountries,fire-perimeter-hist;@-119.6,49.9,12z
fingers crossed that my bro doesn't lose his house in the middle of that. (he's evacuated and living a nightmare)

a close friend is evacuated from yellowkife NWT

And I got a neighbor whom steadfastedly asserts climate change is a gov't conspiracy, and it's all BS
You know we have had ice ages, and then no ice age. That is huge global warming before any human activity. So those people have a point. It could just be a natural occurrence with us adding a bit to it. Would it b3happing without human interference. Who. Knows. It certainly has happened lots of times in our history. One just has to go back in history to all the worlds deserts that used to be lush tropics, and the artic that used to be rainforests. We have had global warming and cooling lots of times before
But is human activity accelerating this. Really hard to prove either way. I believe we are not helping the situation.

I have three friends who have lost there house in the past few days. But the govt was bragging all over the news that they had all the resources in front of the new partially finished water treatment plant in Kelowna. And saved it. But just down the street they let all the houses burn. The govt is in control of where these resources go, so they save govt buildings.

Glenn from Windermere, B.C.

You know we have had ice ages, and then no ice age. That is huge global warming before any human activity. So those people have a point. It could just be a natural occurrence with us adding a bit to it. Would it b3happing without human interference. Who. Knows. It certainly has happened lots of times in our history. One just has to go back in history to all the worlds deserts that used to be lush tropics, and the artic that used to be rainforests. We have had global warming and cooling lots of times before
But is human activity accelerating this. Really hard to prove either way. I believe we are not helping the situation.

I think part of the problem with convincing people is that they often think that temperature records go back as far as Victorian times (for the UK at least) and no credible measurement science or measurement exists before that. So a 100 year sample compared to 10,000 years is very small.

What isn't so widely known is that there are ice core samples, sediment sampling from lake beds, global tree rings methods and so on giving relevant data going back hundreds and in many cases thousands of years. These may not directly record temperature but accurate chemical analysis can be carried out. CO2 in the atmosphere is spiking at an alarming rate.

The scariest fact is that ice core samples from Greenland tell us about the last 10,000 years, but new ice is no longer forming on Greenland as the snow is staying for long enough to be compacted down into ice.

It is somewhat audacious of mankind to think that we are or can change what nature has done for millions of years. Science is a wonderful thing but the downside is that we are now learning how it all works and it is causing us to be alarmed over something we have no effective control over. What we should be doing is working out how we should adapt to it as our ancestors did. OK so it might take out much of the Worlds population as we are now seeing with drought etc but we CANNOT stop it happening so let's look at it differently.

It is somewhat audacious of mankind to think that we are or can change what nature has done for millions of years. Science is a wonderful thing but the downside is that we are now learning how it all works and it is causing us to be alarmed over something we have no effective control over. What we should be doing is working out how we should adapt to it as our ancestors did. OK so it might take out much of the Worlds population as we are now seeing with drought etc but we CANNOT stop it happening so let's look at it differently.
Isn’t the problem “so it might take out much of the Worlds population” actually everyone’s problem? I’m sure the few boats across the channel would become massive armed ships manned by those not prepared to sit back in the emerging deserts of their homes.
If you want to put your head in the sand then global warming is just what you need.
Better to die trying than just to die.

I know the difference between weather and climate, but it's always seemed a bit obvious that our activities over the last few decades have moved global temperatures up a degree or 2 (or maybe a bit more in places), but if the sun goes behind a cloud on a sunny day the temperature goes down significantly more - and very quickly. So is the sun's contribution to climate change greater than we have been led to believe?

There are articles on the internet commenting on the increase and decrease in solar winds of time.

A gross simplification, to be sure, but there might be something in it.

Back in the mid 90s a fair bit of work was done by a number of scientific groups, especially in Holland, to dissect out the changes in solar radiation/flux from the overall changes in global teperature. There is still a steady rate of increase due solely to human activity.
I find it difficult to understand the folk who can still question the fact of Climate Change. Yes, the earth's climate has changed widely over millions of years, but this time its different. This time Humans are on board & they are responsible for the change. Until we all accept that & do some very dramatic changes to our behaviour then our climate will quite quickly alter to make large areas of our small world unfit for human habitation.
....if you don't believe me...why should you....there are plenty of review articles out there from serious, major scientific publications....Scientific American for example ....or newspapers.....F times.... that can help you. Noddy internet articles will probably not.

Here we go again... Blokes on woodworking forum know more than scientists...
?????
....so are you trying to put a lid on discussions outside of woodworking?
Are you say the forum is not for oppinions......
Do you just not agree?
Or did you just wake up grumpy?
You must have been on the forum long enough by now to know that folks come from a variety of backgrounds...& oppinions....

?????
....so are you trying to put a lid on discussions outside of woodworking?
Are you say the forum is not for oppinions......
Do you just not agree?
Or did you just wake up grumpy?
You must have been on the forum long enough by now to know that folks come from a variety of backgrounds...& oppinions....
Sorry, didn't mean to upset you.
My position is that it's fine to squabble about politics or sharpening, on the grounds that there are differing, but equally(ish) valid viewpoints, but there is massive scientific consensus re. global warming, and it seems to be mainly older take-my-ICE-away-over-my-dead-body types who won't accept it.
Also, as I've pointed out before, the same PR firms and names crop up working for the fossil fuel companies who tried to whitewash the tobacco industry. Does that suggest anything?

Personally I think that the notion that this is all happening "solely on the contribution of humans" is ideological hogwash. We have scientific evidence from core samples taken of ice from multiple places on earth showing the earth has had periods where it was WARMER than it is now.

Do I think that the human factor is NOT contributing? No I do not.

I think what is happening is BOTH a natural warming cycle, that has been proven to occur at regular intervals, PLUS some contribution from human activity.

Anyone who denies the ice records of warmer periods when Greenland was lush and GREEN, millennia before the industrial revolution is unfit to state any credible opinion on the matter.

Scientific records on climate only go back to about 1700. The Planet had its first lifeforms about 4 BILLION years ago and has had an atmosphere of similar composition for about two BILLION years.

Anyone who even remotely states that the current earth temperature is THE HIGHEST ITS EVER BEEN IN THAT ENTIRE TWO BILLION YEARS deserves to be put in an insane asylum.

And yet..... life continued.

These (censored) halfwits would have you believe this climate change is an "extinction level event", and they've been saying it for about 50 years, I'm still waiting. Greta Thunberg's "predictions" made in the UN, have also not come to fruition.

These same halfwits have now also been PROVEN to be DELIBERATELY setting wildfires in multiple places to back up their claims "the world is burning".

WHICH HAS RESULTED IN THE DEATHS OF HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE.

If you repeat the same claims as they do, then I believe you are part of the problem, by supporting, spreading and furthering their claims that has led to their actions, which in turn HAS KILLED PEOPLE.

So their deaths, and the BILLIONS in property damage IS ON YOR HANDS AS MUCH AS THEIRS.

Facts ARE facts, and if you beleive the situation is wholly man made, then you are allowing OTHER PEOPLE to do your thinking for you.

Oh and just remember these are the same people who claimed "people were BOILING in their own sweat"; a claim which to date has never been proven as a cause of death ANYWHERE on earth - if that ridiculous claim alone isn't enough to make you think these people are mentally unfit to be in charge of society and the direction of how this gets managed globally, I don't know what will.

Oh and the manipulation of scientific readings of pollution level reductions in ULEZ zones.... as though they are in some kind of protected forcefield bubble and the vehicles 2 streets away are not polluting the ULEZs zones..... etc ets - it's just laughable anyone could even remotely consider any of it as "factually accurate"

If you think the same as them, you are their puppet. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back