International Incident averted (I think!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
We've just been to San Francisco to see our son, Russell, who lives there. As part of the trip, we spent 8 days driving an RV up the Big Sur coast from LA to San Francisco, and after finishing with our RV, we were supposed to go with Russ to stay in a lodge in the Yosemite National park - but with the Federal shutdown it was all closed. Putting aside the curiously paradoxical concept that having the government provide healthcare is an attack on personal freedom, but stopping you walking on trails in the wilderness in "the Land of the Free" isn't, this was a happy accident. Russell was able to book us a waterside property on the Russian River - just north of Bodega Bay - about 80 miles north of San Francisco, and it was just lovely. Loads of walking in the redwoods, and along the coast, and the rental even included the use of 3 canoes to use on the river - it was fabulous. Lots of quality time together.

The property had WiFi so one eveing Russ and I sat down together and he showed me how to download films and TV programmes on to my tablet ready for the flight home, as whilst United Airways is cheap, their inflight entertainment is dire, so we set up 3 one hour programmes to download from BBC iPlayer, and as the connection was slow we left it to run overnight.

On the last night our hosts said they would like to meet us for a drink and a chat, so we invited them to join us for a barbeque. When food was approaching being ready, Russ popped over to our hosts accommodation but was gone sometime. He came back about 15 mins later and said that their son had phoned to say that they had used 90% of their monthly download allowance in just 3 days and that they should check that they hadn't left a window open. Did Russ know anything about computers? He flanneled his way round it but thought that they would probably put 2 and 2 together and link it to our visit.

Anyway, having avoided the problem at least for the time being, our hosts arrived for the bbq, and with this we were on home turf - we DO bbqs! Cooking facilities were a bit sparse - coffee machine, microwave and a gas bbq was all we had - but ever willing to improvise we thought of a good way to hardboil eggs for the salad without a kettle or hob. Now we all know that a raw egg in a microwave is bad news, but reasoned that if you boil water in a plastic bowl first, then place the egg in the boiling water, there would be no problem. This seemed to work fine whilst we chatted away to our hosts outside, telling them what a beautifully appointed property it was, and they told us proudly about how it had only just been opened for letting following the completion of a comprehensive makeover, because it took at least 10 minutes before there was a dull "whoooommmpppphhh" from the kitchenette and we rushed in to see a cloud of steam rolling across the ceiling like a "flash-over" in a house fire.

If there is one thing worse that putting a raw egg in a microwave, it's putting in two. Even worse is when you put in 3, so you can imagine the devastating effect that 4 eggs exploding simultaneously had! The explosion had blown the door of the microwave open and covered the floor, ceiling, walls, inside the toaster, and all the packets and tins on the food shelves with a fine spray of scrambled egg. We cleaned up as best we could but eventually had to leave it as I explained to our hosts that if we didn't eat soon the food we'd been bbq'ing would be completely ruined. We started with bbq'd shrimp and as Russ doesn't like fish he disappeared halfway through the first course and came back with some charred steaks and burgers, having seen out the corner of his eye flames and a pall of smoke coming from under the closed hood of the bbq.

Conversation over the meal was easy enough, although I found it difficult to meet our hostess eye to eye because I couldn't help being fascinated by the sugarcube sized chunk of scrambled egg perched on the top of her perfectly coiffured hair-do. Miraculously this disappeared at some stage between courses.

We spent most of the following morning clearing up - and at Russ's suggestion checked that the microwave still worked because as he pointed out, they are designed to have their doors opened with the handle and not to be blown open by explosions from within. To misquote Michael Caine - "you're not supposed to blow the bloody doors off."

Overall, by skill and diplomacy, I think an international incident was narrowly avoided, especially as I suspect they were Republicans, and it is as well that Sacha Baron Cohen's alta ego - Borat - hadn't been there because he'd have included it in his film. Anyway, they told Russell before we left that he's welcome to come back anytime with his girlfriend, although he didn't say whether they added that next time he should leave his parents behind! He wrote a glowing report in the feedback section of AirBNB and hasn't received a negative one of him as a guest. Or it could just be that they will have no internet access until 1st Nov! :(

Nice story. :)

My wife did something similar but that was boiling them dry in a pan on a gas hob.

We "did" Yosemite a few years ago - some snow had fallen and the powers there closed the park to cars - we managed to get there by train and coach from SF but that's always puzzled me - if coaches were allowed, why not cars?

Rod

:lol: :lol: Great story Roger, sounds like a scene from Meet the Fockers

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

Nice one Roger sounds like it was a trip to remember. Big Sur now that brings back some memories, the road from LA used to be called PCH or Pacific Coast Highway and as you know has some amazing views along it. Pity about Yosemite because that's another world.

Cheers

Mike

What fun.

You probably didn't miss much in Yosemite anyway. my only visit to the valley was on the first day of spring about 20 years ago.

My head was full of Ansel Adams (who took a month to get there and back, with a pack mule, to take twelve plates, of which the very last one was Monolith*), and I couldn't wait to catch that first glimpse of what some Sierra Club member described as the most beautiful place on earth.

Anyway, the place was full, and I mean pretty much nose-to-tail, with RVs. Photo opportunities were non existent, as you simply couldn't avoid at least one rotund couple in loud clothing somewhere in-shot. Since I was on expenses, I thought I'd try the Ahwhanee Lodge for an overnight, only to be told they were fully booked, for the next two years. I don't think my boss would have appreciated it anyway!

And the road up to Mono lake was closed, because of snow. Until June.

I found a nice log-cabin motel just outside the park instead, and drove back to the Bay via Modesto and over the hills. Spectacular views, and largely devoid of other tourists. I've intended ever since to go back, but never have.

I have a print of Monolith over the mantelpiece of my study as small consolation.

E.

*http://www.masters-of-photography.com/images/full/adams/adams_monolith.jpg

Mike.C":2x7z9n96 said:
Nice one Roger sounds like it was a trip to remember. Big Sur now that brings back some memories, the road from LA used to be called PCH or Pacific Coast Highway and as you know has some amazing views along it. Pity about Yosemite because that's another world.

Yep - it's still called the PCH, or Highway 1. The views are fabulous, and even more so if you get out into the hills above the road on foot. You see a Big Sur that not one visitor in 100 will see. Photos here if anyone is interested, and I've done a write up for the Road Trip America forum.

Whilst it was disappointing to have to cancel Yosemite due to the Federal shutdown, we had been once before in mid June when the waterfalls are at their best after the spring melt and were blown away by the place. Russ won't be coming back to live in the UK any time soon as we'll be back out there in 18 months or so. In the meantime, Russian River was gorgeous, a bit like the best that Scotland has to offer but with California weather.

RogerM":da2qxbul said:
... the PCH, or Highway 1. The views are fabulous, and even more so if you get out into the hills above the road on foot. You see a Big Sur that not one visitor in 100 will see. Photos here if anyone is interested, and I've done a write up for the Road Trip America forum.

Whilst it was disappointing to have to cancel Yosemite due to the Federal shutdown, we had been once before in mid June when the waterfalls are at their best after the spring melt and were blown away by the place. Russ won't be coming back to live in the UK any time soon as we'll be back out there in 18 months or so. In the meantime, Russian River was gorgeous, a bit like the best that Scotland has to offer but with California weather.

I am deeply jealous. PCH was the one trip I really wanted to do (the SF-Seattle bit, anyway) but never have.

That said, Southern Utah is truly stunning. I didn't really know what to expect. "Like the Grand Canyon but smaller..." was said by several people, but it doesn't do the place justice at all. I wasn't ready for the sheer scale of it, the colours and shapes, and the unexpected variety too. And, Mormonism notwithstanding, the people were very pleasant too (although I find in rural America people usually are).

My eldest daughter's boyfriend came with us. He's a pro photographer and returned with around 40GB of images.

E.

RogerM":36ue5jph said:
Mike.C":36ue5jph said:

Yep - it's still called the PCH, or Highway 1. The views are fabulous, and even more so if you get out into the hills above the road on foot. You see a Big Sur that not one visitor in 100 will see. Photos here if anyone is interested, and I've done a write up for the Road Trip America forum.

Great photos, and yes your right about the views from up in the hills, the sunsets are amazing too.

Cheers

Mike

Back