why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
Why are surgical instruments callled instruments not tools - my carpentry "kit" is full of tools, including drills, saws, and knives, I sometimes use needles and thread,, a surgical set of instruments includes drills, saws and knives, needles and threads.....

Why are surgical instruments callled instruments not tools - my carpentry "kit" is full of tools, including drills, saws, and knives, I sometimes use needles and thread,, a surgical set of instruments includes drills, saws and knives, needles and threads.....
Instruments cost more than tools…

instruments are professional and about precision :)
I sent my wife a picture once of a set of screw removers - those small boxes you buy on Amazon for about £7.99 which allow you to extract damaged screws... she sent back a picture of hers - a large box all colour coded and costing about £10k (she does do micro-surgery though!)

Sounds better to the patient, if the surgeon said I am just getting my toolbox it sounds a bit drastic whereas getting my instruments ready sounds a lot better.

In my world instruments were items that could measure or collect data and came under metrology, we were not doctors but surgical precision could be needed especially with strain gauges.

we need to see the picture of her set, please.
something like this but more impressive...

HTB1dHm4lHZnBKNjSZFGq6zt3FXaA.jpg

I suspect part of the reason is to distinguish the profession of surgery from its predecessors.

Apparently the earliest surgeons trained as barbers, and of course they had the sharp implements necessary to cut people open, remove limbs, and so on. This was a painful and bloody business with, unsurprisingly, a low survival rate.

As modern surgery developed, those who were medically trained would want to make it clear that they had no connection with the old ways, so a renaming of their kit is one way to show this to patients.

It probably helps reduce patient anxiety. Someone approaching me with a saw is scary, but if I'm told that an osteotome will be used in the operation I'll feel a lot happier about it :)

It probably helps reduce patient anxiety. Someone approaching me with a saw is scary, but if I'm told that an osteotome will be used in the operation I'll feel a lot happier about it :)
Reminds me of the old joke about the lounge lizard and his attractive blonde target, when he mentions that he's got a very special thermometer that he'd like to show her....he has it in his pocket, of course.
She takes one look at it, and says "You're going to take my temperature with that?!

It's a cost thing...... If you make your knife an instrument the NHS will over pay for it by 100% more than the market value..... Strange that it only applies to tools though, they don't need to change the names of the other things they over pay for.

Reminds me of the old joke about the lounge lizard and his attractive blonde target, when he mentions that he's got a very special thermometer that he'd like to show her....he has it in his pocket, of course.
She takes one look at it, and says "You're going to take my temperature with that?!
? I feel that I've missed something here?

My brother in law was an ophthalmic surgeon. He had designed a few of his instruments especially to suit his particular style of micro surgery and had them built in Germany. They were the most exquisite things I have ever seen. By comparison my tools are, well, just tools.

WOT
no engineers in Kiwi land......?
at least he's not supporting the Chinese economy.....
to add......
Nothing wrong with the Chinese, it's just the political structure I dislike.....

Is it also something to do with the term Operating Theatre? In the 'early days' operations were sometimes performed in a theatre. There's a fascinating Museum called the Old Operating Theatre and Herb Garrett in London. Procedures were brutal and eye watering especially for some of the 'Gentlemen ailments'
https://oldoperatingtheatre.com/

? I feel that I've missed something here?

OK.....
Lounge lizard, always on the lookout for....
Blondes, traditionally recognised as being slightly dim.
"Special thermometer", kept in man's trousers.
"Special thermometer" suddenly out of man's trousers.
Blonde sees his "special thermometer" and expresses surprise that it could "take her temperature" with it....

(It's along the same lines of when the "oral" is mentioned, and Blondie mutters "Well, you're not sticking that thing in my ear!")

Won't be long before instruments will be replaced by robotics then us woodworkers will be able to pick up some nice second hand S/S instruments . I used to have a dentists drill with flex drive shaft till it died. Used for my miniatures nice piece of kit .And I still have some bone chisels mini sized

OK.....
Lounge lizard, always on the lookout for....
Blondes, traditionally recognised as being slightly dim.
"Special thermometer", kept in man's trousers.
"Special thermometer" suddenly out of man's trousers.
Blonde sees his "special thermometer" and expresses surprise that it could "take her temperature" with it....

(It's along the same lines of when the "oral" is mentioned, and Blondie mutters "Well, you're not sticking that thing in my ear!")
I am blonde. Probably why I didn't understand it.

I am blonde. Probably why I didn't understand it.

John, I think you'll find that you're blond, not blonde.
Unless,of course, there's something you're not telling us?! ;)

I am actually reverting to my early years by going blond in parts.
Or, as my wife refers to it, grey. :giggle:

I suspect part of the reason is to distinguish the profession of surgery from its predecessors.

Apparently the earliest surgeons trained as barbers, and of course they had the sharp implements necessary to cut people open, remove limbs, and so on. This was a painful and bloody business with, unsurprisingly, a low survival rate.

As modern surgery developed, those who were medically trained would want to make it clear that they had no connection with the old ways, so a renaming of their kit is one way to show this to patients.

I think if I was about to have something cut off, that would focus the mind. I wouldn't give a rats bottom what he cared to call his saw! 😂

Latest posts

Back