Why do so many woodworking youtubers use Blues/Bluegrass background music

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there's always John Cage's 4'33" (or the extended version of it, for long videos).

To my surprise, there are several YouTube iterations of this composition. Seems to kind of defeat the intention.

And to Tyreman: I don't much like musical backgrounds on videos, but jazz of any sort might work for me.

Peter millionard 😆

To be fair , peter has it weighed off quite well, i like the overall presentation and no nonsense, balanced episodes.... plus, the time / length is important
This ^^^
and petermillard said
too distracting
I was already forming my post in my head when I saw peter's post. My post will be the same anyway.
petermillard produces excellent informative videos without a musical background track.( thank you Peter :) ) My musical tastes range from Eminem to Spem in alium , passing via Björk , Debussy and Chet Baker amongst others.Nevertheless I really don't like musical backgrounds to videos, and especially loud musical backgrounds, they result in an immediate "mute tab" very often followed by "close tab". It is like autoplay for video or music or blink tags , or scrolling messages on webpages..don't...just don't...or I'm gone.

Last edited:
Could all the posters who are negative about YT creators kindly provide a link to their YT channel. Put your hand down at the back Millard!🤣

The bottom line is that YT creators produce output - there is no compulsion on you to watch - you have not paid anything. In many ways YT is a sort of media democracy with the audience choosing ‘the best’ - within the limits of the fickle YT algorithm. If whinging gives you a lift the BBC might provide a more legitimate target (If you pay your TV licence).

Could all the posters who are negative about YT creators kindly provide a link to their YT channel. Put your hand down at the back Millard!🤣

The bottom line is that YT creators produce output - there is no compulsion on you to watch - you have not paid anything. In many ways YT is a sort of media democracy with the audience choosing ‘the best’ - within the limits of the fickle YT algorithm. If whinging gives you a lift the BBC might provide a more legitimate target (If you pay your TV licence).
So you use Bluegrass then?

There is another question. Why in hand tool only woodworking videos there is no music, just ambient sounds? e.g.

I think it is because if the woodworker would like to be congruent with no electricity approach, he must have a live music playing next to him.

I would love to see Mr. Chicadee or Peter Follansbee do woodworking with a string quartet or even London Philharmonics playing in their shops:)

It's to show that they are good old boys etc etc.
What puts me off is when the music ends and a cheerful looking berk pops up and says something like "Hi there this is Pratt McGeek and welcome to my shaaaarp" :oops:

I must have seen some of the same videos,did the presenters of yours use tools that had switches to the exclusion of all else?Did they have immaculate shaaaarps totally unsullied by a speck of sawdust or shavings and with pristine hand tools displayed on the walls?I suppose they are harmless enough compared to those content creators that show you how to convert a small power tool to a lethal weapon that won't last too long with the huge overloading it gets subjected to.

There is another question. Why in hand tool only woodworking videos there is no music, just ambient sounds? e.g.

I think it is because if the woodworker would like to be congruent with no electricity approach, he must have a live music playing next to him.

I would love to see Mr. Chicadee or Peter Follansbee do woodworking with a string quartet or even London Philharmonics playing in their shops:)

Is it Tom Fidgen who writes and performs his own backing music?

Ooooooooooh get you

The problem, for me, with any music in these videos where they're talking is that I'd got iffy hearing and I can't distinguish the speech from the music.

P.S. Also a fan of the Peter Millard channel. Sometimes it's nice to watch and learn from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. He's also honest and upfront about free stuff he's been sent for review and doesn't pretend that reading from a brochure counts as anything other than dishonest advertising.

This, exactly Dean. And it’s what I don’t generally use music at all - it’s too divisive for the viewers, too distracting. I like how Scott Brown uses music - but then I generally like the music he uses. Mostly woodwork makes it’s own soundtrack, and I find the quieter stretches - glue-ups etc.. - are good for a voiceover, wether that’s a share/like/subscribe pitch or a reminder of the benefits of membership. 👍

Peter, this is an opportunity to thank you for your channel. I like what you do, and what you do is present original information without fanfare (although you can sound like you are making love to the microphone!!:) ), and you keep it as short at possible (no padding). I, too, like Scott’s videos. He is breath of fresh air in a sea of turgid videos by wannabe experts looking for affirmation. I enjoy his (and his wife's) lack of pretentiousness that is so much part of the New Zealand/Australasian culture.

YouTube has become big business. There is money to be made. The problem is that so many have climbed on this bandwagon without the requisite skills or experience to offer. So much is smoke-and-mirrors, with shops that are sets, and outrageous titles as click bait (I am so turned off by these). The music is part of the sell. Nothing more.

Music can be appropriate if there is little or no conversation, and if it is does not interfere or distract. In my own channel (a term used loosely!), I avoid all music as my efforts go towards demonstrating a technique (with hand tools), and I am talking (in dulcet tones). Music would just be the straw to break the camels back and put all to sleep.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
Peter, this is an opportunity to thank you for your channel. I like what you do, and what you do is present original information without fanfare (although you can sound like you are making love to the microphone!!:) ), and you keep it as short at possible (no padding). I, too, like Scott’s videos. He is breath of fresh air in a sea of turgid videos by wannabe experts looking for affirmation. I enjoy his (and his wife's) lack of pretentiousness that is so much part of the New Zealand/Australasian culture.

YouTube has become big business. There is money to be made. The problem is that so many have climbed on this bandwagon without the requisite skills or experience to offer. So much is smoke-and-mirrors, with shops that are sets, and outrageous titles as click bait (I am so turned off by these). The music is part of the sell. Nothing more.

Music can be appropriate if there is little or no conversation, and if it is does not interfere or distract. In my own channel (a term used loosely!), I avoid all music as my efforts go towards demonstrating a technique (with hand tools), and I am talking (in dulcet tones). Music would just be the straw to break the camels back and put all to sleep.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thank you Derek; very kind of you to say so. And yes, YouTube has become a business for many of us; I'm in regular contact with a few British YouTubers in this sector and we're all a little taken aback that we can actually do this for a living, when all we wanted to do when we started out was to put up a few videos about woodworking; the business of YouTube - like the business of anything, I guess - turns it into something else, and not always for the better!

Cheers, P

Hello,

Out of curiosity, I have seen a pattern, especially in the USA, where many woodworkers use Blues/Bluegrass background music in the shots, where they are working wood.

E.g.

I have seen it in many more instances. Should it convey manliness? :)

Country/bluegrass particularly in the South is the default choice of music for the southern population, simple as that. What we see as dodgy they see as macho.

Latest posts

Back